My company is changing cell phone policies so I have the opportunity to jump to ... General Blackberry forum

rabbott no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Considering a BB - newbie questions

Advertisement

My company is changing cell phone policies so I have the opportunity to jump to a new device and carrier. I'm currently carrying a PocketPC based phone from Verizon (PDA is good, phone is terrible, stability is terrible). My research leads me to believe that a BlackBerry Curve (on AT&T) would be the best choice for my needs (stability, email, calendar, phone, browser, mp3).

I have lurked on several BB sites and PinStack seems to have the most helpful responses - so here goes with some questions that I've been unable to answer using search:

1. Email bulk -does the device download the entire message + attachments or can you limit the size of messages downloaded and ask for the rest later if necessary? I receive 100s of emails a day, many with large attachments, on the EDGE network I can see this being an issue.

2. Email deletion - the PPC will automatically delete messages from my device once I've pulled them down from the server to my laptop. Does the BB email client have any similar functionality or do messages need to be deleted by hand? If so can I delete a large chunk of messages with a couple of clicks?

3. Data connection - I travel overseas about once a quarter. Is there a way to disable the data
    connection while leaving the voice/SMS connection active? I am concerned about data roaming bills due to the device constantly accessing the network.

4. Voice recognition - does the BB have any sort of voice recognition feature available (without having to pay the carrier a monthly nut for it)? For example I can say "call john doe" and the PPC will find john doe in my contacts and call him.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: Considering a BB - newbie questions

1) It will download the email and attachments.

2) You can delete emails using the following options: Delete on Handheld, Delete on Handheld and Mailbox (of the account the email came from).

3) You can buy a local sim card if they offer BB service and use that to avoid overage charges or turn the wireless connection off.

4) Yes it has voice recognition.

justajason no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242C7F74

You'll LOVE IT!!!
    Its INSTANT>
    Ugh, couldnt think of anything to change it to.

Thanks for the responses! I plan on obtaining the GPS Curve when AT&T offers it

One point of clarification on #3 - is it possible to turn off only the data connection or is it all-or-nothing data+voice on/off?

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

You can have voice only but it kind of defeats the purpose of owning a Blackberry to me.
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

Quote Originally Posted by KalebsDad78
    You can have voice only but it kind of defeats the purpose of owning a Blackberry to me.
    Well, it depends on why you use a BlackBerry. In your situation, where you use BBs with your company and employees, the push email and data capabilities are paramount. Most BlackBerrys are used that way, and they are outstanding performers. However, a BlackBerry without a data plan, used by an individual, is still worlds ahead of competing phone brands, especially in PIM functions. From the simple (I have 26 speed dial keys on my 7290!!) to the sublime (calendar, tasks, memos, address book) they are worlds ahead of the competition!

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

1. each message in converted to a kind of XML message and forwarded to the handheld in a 2KB chunk. You can then request the rest of the message (MORE) in 2KB chunks, or all of the message (MORE ALL). The messages are compressed, and much of the formatting is stripped out. But your email delivery is reliable and safe. This is the current trade-off. Attachments are also requested manually, then converted, compressed, and encrypted into a kind of XML document. these are uneditable, mind you.

2. depends. If you company has the "BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES)" in-house, than aboslutely everything is is reconciled in both directions ("push ,then reconcile" is similar to "snychronize" but there are important differences). If you rely on the consumer BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) then only count on deletions from the handheld propegating to the server, not via versa. Though with agreements between the carriers, RIM, and Yahoo/GMail - this is starting to change.

Yes you can delete more than one message with a single operation.

3. Yes. On newer handhelds with 4.2.x O/S, you can turn off data services. AT&T and T-Mobile do have affordably priced internation data packages. The AT&T one for example is $69/mo, so it can be very affordable and worthwhile.

4. I don't know. Ask the others.
    Domino 6.5.6FP1 | BES 4.1.4

Perfect, thanks very much.

I'm only asking about turning data services off occasionally for specific situations (eg. overseas travel). I have heard too many horror stories about large overseas roaming charges for data.

I certainly would not go without a data plan, I would just like to be able to disable it when necessary while keeping the voice/sms enabled.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

How will you be set up? As mentioned previously, if you are setting up a personal connection with BIS, your options and features will be slightly different than if your Company is setting up a BES environment.

There is a lot more synchronization and flexibility with the BES.

Having said all that, once you get past the normal learning curve (pun intended) issues of switching from the WinMo platform to the RIM OS world, I think you'll love the devices. They're simple to use, easy to customize, and very stable and reliable.

Plus you have a place like the stacks where you can go for support and ideas.
    Last edited by LaTuFu; 09-19-2007 at 01:52 PM.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

I will be BIS initially, with a possible move to BES after we go to a hosted exchange environment (something I would need to discuss with AT&T pre-purchase as their plans are different).

I have read up on both and I think I am beginning to grasp the basics on the differences between the two. I guess the only thing I'm unclear on is whether "reconciliation"/synchronization through BES would delete existing messages on the BB that have been deleted from the server through some other means?

Yes, I am really looking forward to the switch and this forum is an outstanding source of information!