Hi Guys, Can anyone tell me how I can configure a 8820 without needing to ... General Blackberry forum

geeing no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Configuring without Desktop Manager Software

Advertisement

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me how I can configure a 8820 without needing to use the Desktop Manager Software?

Ideally I would like to be able to send devices directly to our homebased users with instructions on how they can configure. Is it possible to put a configuration file onto a SD card and send this to them?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers
    G.

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Configuring without Desktop Manager Software

First, what exactly are you trying to get them to configure?

All you have to do is to set an OTA (Over The Air) Enterprise Activation password, and email them instructions on how to activate the device (phone) and let them follow the Setup Wizard (assuming all your devices are running OS 4.2 or later). The only thing you have to direct them on with the Wizard is what choice to make when setting up their email.

If you have older devices that don't have the Setup Wizard, here's the steps needed for an OTA Enterprise Activation:
    1. Activate phone (procedure varies with each provider and type of account).
    2. Wipe the device if it hasn't already been wiped.
    3. Turn on the Radio and wait for a Data connection indicator (any letters to the left of the signal strength indicator will be UPPER CASE (EDGE, EVDO, 1X, GPRS, etc...).
    4. Set the correct time zone, date, and time (the date and time can be updated from the Date/Time menu from either the Network or BlackBerry Network).
    5. Check (wait) for Registration message under Messages. It should come almost as quickly as the device gets a data connection. If none arrives and a data connection is indicated (as per #3), go to Options --> Advanced Options --> Host Routing Table, Click the wheel or menu button and select Register now.
    6. Go into Options --> Advanced Options --> Enterprise Activation (if there's no EA icon on the main screen), enter the email address and OTA EA Password, Click the wheel or menu button and select Activate.
    The rest of the settings are to personal taste. There are several tutorials available that you can point users to - search the forums for where they are.
    JerryD

geeing no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Configuring without Desktop Manager Software

jdellasala
    Thanks for the info. I've tried this and it never worked, but I htink I have been given the wrong info, I'll go speak to our BES support guys.

Thanks for clarifying this.

Cheers
    G