July 18, 2007, 6:06 pm iPhone +AT&T Bill=Uh-Oh http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007...eatt-billuh-oh/ I just got my first AT&T ... General Blackberry forum

jr_sy no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

COMIC RELIEF: iPhone+AT&T Bill=Uh-Oh

Advertisement

July 18, 2007, 6:06 pm
    iPhone+AT&T Bill=Uh-Oh

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007...eatt-billuh-oh/

I just got my first AT&T bill for my iPhone. (Apple loaned me an iPhone to review, but I paid for the service myself so I could go through the setup process like the average Joe. The Times will reimburse me.)

It’s a staggeringly, hatefully complex document, designed by some Monty Pythoneseque committee in charge of consumer confusion.

For starters, although I signed up for what iTunes told me was a $60 plan (450 minutes, unlimited Internet), the bill says I have a $40 voice plan and a $20 Internet plan, and lists them on separate pages.

The first bill, believe it or not, comes to $150. It’s filled with unexplained services and features that were never mentioned during the signup process, like MEDIA MAX, EXPD M2M, VOICE PRIVACY, and AT&T DIRECT BILL.

After studying this thing for 20 minutes, I think I’ve got it figured out: activation charge ($36), prorated monthly fee for June ($26 for voice, $13 for Internet use), taxes and fees ($15), plus July billed in advance ($40 voice, $20 data).

All of that fits on three dense pages. But then–get this–I get SIX PAGES of listings of data tidbits that the iPhone has downloaded in the form of email and Web pages–KILOBYTE BY KILOBYTE! Every graphic on every Web page, every message sent or received–it’s all carefully listed by date and time. Not as anything helpful like NYTIMES.COM HOME PAGE or EMAIL–no, no. Instead, every single one of the hundreds of listings says the same thing: “Data Transfer” of type “Data” at rate code “MBRF,” along with how many kilobytes it was (usually 1K or 3K).

It’s an unadulterated waste of paper, ink, and fuel to deliver it. It helps no one; dudes, we’re all on unlimited data plans! Who the heck needs a breakdown like this? If AT&T thinks anyone cares, they should stick it on the Web, for crying out loud.

This development illustrates yet another clash between Apple’s typical philosophy of elegance and simplicity–and the unprepared, cluelessness of its cellular partner.

jgirly2 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: COMIC RELIEF: iPhone+AT&T Bill=Uh-Oh

i too think the data info. is a waste of paper, don't ya think we can start saving some trees, unless they are using recycled paper. all in all though i think it's just a waste of time and ink.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

level9 no está en línea Stack level 2

Wow! that is incredible. i don't even get a paper bill anymore from Sprint, just check it online.

rokinDa8703e no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31e84d1b

I don't get a bill at all, VZW just drafts out of my bank account each month

Sayre no está en línea Stack level 2

same here on saving the trees and the waste of paper it is. although the headache it can be to find something on the electronic bill with verizon sometimes is a whole nother story. But it does save the "$.25 to $1.25" courtesy charge that they were sticking to me for the luxury of a paper bill.

That was per page. I don't know if many of you vzw users out there have read the fine print lately or if it is in all markets but about 6 months ago we got a letter stating that due to some kind of cost that they were implimenting a paper bill fee per page and that it would vary. Ours averages about $1.00 a bill.
    Sayre

snarkoleptik no está en línea Stack level 2

I don't have an iphone but that's what my monthly bill looks like too.

SokudoBlade no está en línea Stack level 3

You can actually remove detailed billing from your account to avoid having a huge bill. some people however need detailed billing for writing off calls for business, legal disputes, or just plain documentation. Thats why by default detailed billing is added to every account, you can just call customer care and have it removed thus only recieving the first couple pages of the bill instead.
    at&t Retail Sales Consultant Whitehall, PA. Data SME.

GeneKam no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    232D8D38

wow waht a waste of paper, this is kinda sad, even with not unlimited data usage it is pretty pointless, pages are ok, but graphic to graphic is just silly

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Just choose paperless billing...

The SPCS Guy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30F558F8

LOL! This is the Way Cingular bills arrive. it's detailed, as a previous poster said. It doesn't matter what phone you have, it will list all text and data usage laid out line by line, and it IS on the website when you log into your acocunt.

Just sign yourself up for paperless billing, so this way, you won't receive a bill at all. It will just be on cingular.com when you need to review.

I wish my Sprint bill detailed the data usage like this.

JE

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

Haha. We're just a small company and used to (up until about May of this year) get a paper bill that was between 100-200 pages (was mailing in a large manilla envelope). I pity the people that went over that thing each month. We use the electronic method (Wireless Information Advantage) now.

for my personal bill, my wife and I just use the website. I check each broad category (KB used, minutes used, SMS/MMS, roaming, etc)make sure nothing is out of line, then I pay it online.
    Domino 6.5.6FP1 | BES 4.1.4

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Sadly, the reviewer must not have had AT&T / Cingular before. I don't have an iPhone and my bill looks just like his.

I do like the detailed billing but not for the data usage. If I don't get the detailed billing, I have no way of tracking who keeps sending me SMS messages that I don't want. Sigh... perhaps I should just go paperless.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade