Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

On the Curve and 8300 and perhaps some other model phones it seems that the ... General Blackberry forum

heartspeace no está en línea Stack level 2

Class Action Law Suit for affected 8000 series

Advertisement

On the Curve and 8300 and perhaps some other model phones it seems that the file total is less than 64MB where before on older models like 8700 series is shows 64MB for the file total. Furthermore it appears that the amount of usable memory for users has decreased substantially in these later models perhaps to new revisions of the OS or perhaps for other reasons.

It seems users of both the 8300 models and perhaps other models from the 8xxx series are experiencing also symptoms of what has been described as a memory leak during normal running of their blackberries throughout the day forcing users to reboot or take out the battery up to several times a day to resolve this otherwise their blackberries become slower and slower due to the lack of storage space.It seems also that when certain files are deleted their names remain until a hard boot.

One can only assume that this matter and mulitple issues will become much worse unless it is fixed (if it can be fixed) in the next release of the OS. If it is a physically shorting of memory where the blackberries simple do not have the memory that was advertised to the multitudes of users of these machines then there is a serious case for a class action law suit. If the problem isn't fixed I believe there is also a serious case for a class action law suit against RIM and perhaps the wireless vendors that sell these phones for RIM.

With the possible release of 4.5 OS perhaps this problem will be resolved or perhaps with the assumption the next OS will be larger or reduce user space perhaps it will become much much worse leaving 8xxx users that are affected on an old OS and the need to reboot their machines frequently, similar to users complaints of Windows Mobile OS.

Cell phones to many are critical to their business and in many cases are used in life and death situations. For the average user perhaps they can live with a machine that is not up to older model standards, but then again why should they have to? And for the crtitical use user it is just a matter if time before this truly affects someone in a very bad way where they have to reboot before being able to use their phone. It can also affect many businesses by reducing productivity and delay serving customers such as in the medical profession.

So I am wondering how many users of these series are affected where the file storage amount is below what older models say they have (64MB) and how many seemingly lose memory throughout the day and require a hard reboot to reclaim the memory, and what other problems and issues of a serious nature has been experienced by users of these models. Please reply here. This is not bashing by any means, its simply wanting action for issues that were made known close to a year ago and it seems are still occuring on brand new units shipped from the telecoms.

See previous thread here:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com..._memory-7.html

Michael

curve247 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    I understand your point completely but we need to be realistic here. I have had my 8830 for almost 9 months now and have only had this happen once. I think the problem comes down to the fact that we expect our BBs to be super computers in the palm of our hands. If the device is properly maintained and used then this isnt a problem. As users and informed users (thank you pinstack) we need to understand that we cant have every applicaiton running on the device at once. We cant expect this to be a tinny laptop.

We can expect it to work properly and do what it was designed for. But putting 300 applications on the phone with pictures and ringtones will cause problems. The same thing with a personal computer. If you fill up your hard drive you wont be able to save anything and your computer will become slower and you will most likely have to restart it more.

I am not trying to bash here or start a fight, I just think a class action lawsuit is off the wall. We dont need to get carried away.

Even with the new OS coming out, RIM has always continued to offer upgrades to other devices. They just stopped offering OS upgrades for the 8700. I think as users of the 88xx and the 83xx we can continue to expect OS upgrades for a year or so.

I think most of this problem may fall on the consumers. And if it such a problem then the consumer has the option change devices.
    "T-Dub"
    T- Mo: BB 9700, 8900, 8220
    Sprint: BB 8330, 8830, 8130, 8703, 7250

But there's a beautiful view of the end of the world from the pier.....

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    i can't believe someone would actually make this a class action suit...geez.

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    i can't believe someone would actually make this a class action suit...geez.
    as if BB doesn't offer the best to its customers already right? lol
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

This is not about people with too many applications. Many don't have much at all.

It is about getting what is advertised. What does your blackberry say for total storage? Is it 64 MB like the 8700 and other models say even with the latest 4.2 OS? I doubt it is.

Many also say they lose memory throughout the day and even overnight when not even using the blackberry.

This is not about it expecting too much. It is about expecting it to work properly and as advertised. Read the thread listed. You will see that users have been seriously affected and RIM Verizon and Sprint (as probably others) have no logical and reasonable explaination. Something seems very wrong here and people have been seriously affected.

PIN/ID
    N/A
    thats why they offer warranties and exchanges..."leaking memory" would be their fault under the warranty and you should be able to get a replacement no problem.

PIN/ID
    ASK
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky13mt View Post
    thats why they offer warranties and exchanges..."leaking memory" would be their fault under the warranty and you should be able to get a replacement no problem.
    I agree. Everyone has a 30 day automatic return policy and most wireless providers will replace it if its that big of a problem.
    "T-Dub"

The point of this thread is to guage how many 8330 8830 and other owners have been affected.

The questions is to everyone are:

If you have an 8000 series product:

What model do you have?
    How long have you owned it?
    What does the total file storage say (under options/status)?
    If you notice the file used decreasing throughout the day?
    What other issues do you have with your 8000 series product?

That's all.

PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by heartspeace View Post

The point of this thread is to guage how many 8330 8830 and other owners have been affected.

The questions is to everyone are:

If you have an 8000 series product:

What model do you have?
    How long have you owned it?
    What does the total file storage say (under options/status)?
    If you notice the file used decreasing throughout the day?
    What other issues do you have with your 8000 series product?

That's all.
    im not trying to be confrontational...but then why did you label this thread as such?

Again, to guage how many users have been affected and the range of models and severity of effect this has on affected users. Do you have one of these models? What does your total file storage say on your phone?

wxboss no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    21DA38F3
    Sometimes upgrades to the OS fix some of these issues (creating more space on the device for example).

While I'll admit that I wasn't too happy with the amount (or lack of amount) of vacant space on my 8130, I have learned to live with it and apply some 'adjustments' that have given me a little more room.

While I would be much more content with an extra 50MB of free space, I can live with what I have and that's why I chose to keep it instead of return it.

Some people are having memory leak issues, and sometimes my drops off too, but I have also noticed times when I actually regained memory while the phone was just sitting idle.

I don't presume to know all there is to know about operating systems, but I think if this type of lawsuit actually won anything that almost every OS producer out there would break out in a cold sweat.

We shall see what happens. Maybe they will fix it and its not neccessary. I know htc has the threat of a lawsuit for not providing accelleration capable video drivers in their tilt mogul and other products although the hardware is very capable.
    I think this is much more serious as it seems they are not giving users the same amount of memory as advertised as evidenced by looking at models like an 8700 and seeing 64MB available and about 48MB available on these new models even though they say its 64MB. Also the leaking memory is very bad as emails are then deleted and call logs, etc when the OS is out of space, and then the blackberry freezes when it gets too bad.

How much memory does your file storage say total,and free?

PIN/ID
    ASK
    Blackberry 8830
    Platform 3.0.0.76
    App Version 4.2.2.176
    Uptime 323,502 Seconds (~90hrs)
    File Free 26,56,678 bytes
    File Total 47,841,280 bytes

but i want NO part of a class action suit against RIM.

Note: that the OS takes up some memory as well.
    "T-Dub"

PIN/ID
    N/A
    ok here's my take on this...

when you buy a 8gb iPod does it have 8gb on it? no it has like 7.3gb or something like that...

unless you want a black and white phone with no color and capabilities you will have to deal with the lack of TOTAL memory because...all the programming and applications and colors and fonts and sizes and ALL THAT...takes up space on your BB even it its brand new.

PIN/ID
    ASK
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky13mt View Post
    ok here's my take on this...

when you buy a 8gb iPod does it have 8gb on it? no it has like 7.3gb or something like that...

unless you want a black and white phone with no color and capabilities you will have to deal with the lack of TOTAL memory because...all the programming and applications and colors and fonts and sizes and ALL THAT...takes up space on your BB even it its brand new.
    COMPLETELY AGREE
    "T-Dub"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast