I had a 7290 (which I have no more, i sold it on Ebay) and ... General Blackberry forum

Smile Cingularrrrr or AAAAT&T?!?

Advertisement

I had a 7290 (which I have no more, i sold it on Ebay) and my current 7105t. They have identical OSs, 4.1.0.377. If I go to Options, Network, change it to Manual, then ask it to search for available networks, the 7290 returns T-Mobile and Cingular, and the 7105t sez T-Mobile and AT&T. How?

jpl572103 no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Cingularrrrr or AAAAT&T?!?

Man just go with Verizon and pay a little more but have much better coverage.
    Don't even think about trying Sprint. Ive done it and YOU WILL BE SORRY

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Just depends on the coding from the antenna. I saw that when we went to Vegas one time. We were all on T-Mobile but half of us picked up Pacific Bell and the other half had Cingular. Same antennas, just different names coming into our device. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Zo
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by jpl572103
    He's not asking about who has better coverage. He's asking why, on one phone, Cingular shows up and on the other one, AT&T shows up.

I saw this earlier this month on my Pearl. I was in an area with no T-Mo coverage and my Pearl said Dobson Cellular DCS.

egale no está en línea Stack level 1

It has to do with how your phone is registered to the network. I have a family plan with 5 lines. One of them changed to at&t from Cingular all by itself. The other 4 still said Cingular. I then got the curve. My old 8700c was displaying Cingular. When I switched sims, the curve still displayed Cingular. About 30 seconds after I called customer service to set up the new device, the curve started displaying at&t.

The rep said eventually everyone's phone will be switched to say at&t but when he registered the new phone on his end, the display on the curve changed. It doesn't make any difference otherwise.

gkg3059 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    204bd5f7

Yeah it may also be the location you're at when you tried. Was it the same place?

Ps: he is right don't try sprint.

trigga15 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21655FFB

maybe the 7290 was a cingular phone and only recognized cingular and the 7105 is tmo and recognizes new networks out there

Quote Originally Posted by jpl572103
    Naw, I'm not going to switch from T-Mobile. In 4-1/2 years with T-Mobile I've had only one dropped call I can remember, and that one was because I drove throught a tunnel in Colorado. I don't know how T-Mobile would compare to Verizon, Sprint and others cuz I've never tried the others, but Tmo has been so good to me I don't have any reason to leave. Besides, I'm a GSM man -- love to simply move SIM cards when I want to switch phones.

I have a theory now about the Cingular-AT&T thing -- As an example, we know that all the vendor themes are on all our BB handhelds and it's a simple process to make them available by altering blackberry.alx. I'm wondering if the text that displays on our screens in a coverage area (T-Mobile, AT&T, etc.) is already in the phone, and displays when you are in their coverage area -- as opposed to the actual text being sent to the phone while roaming. (When I drive through northern New Mexico and my handheld searches for a network, it finds a 1900gsm signal. Something in the signal identifies it as cingular/AT&T, and the phone displays the name as it is listed in the phone itself). If that's the case, then the text "cingular" would appear on the older 7290 and the text "AT&T" would appear on the newer 7105t because cingular is becoming (has become) AT&T. Hmmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by egale
    It has to do with how your phone is registered to the network. I have a family plan with 5 lines. One of them changed to at&t from Cingular all by itself. The other 4 still said Cingular. I then got the curve. My old 8700c was displaying Cingular. When I switched sims, the curve still displayed Cingular. About 30 seconds after I called customer service to set up the new device, the curve started displaying at&t.

The rep said eventually everyone's phone will be switched to say at&t but when he registered the new phone on his end, the display on the curve changed. It doesn't make any difference otherwise.
    This is better than my "theory"

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Nope -- the network name is from the tower. Otherwise every theme would have to have the name of every GSM carrier included in the theme.

at&t hasn't updated everyone's alpha tags yet. I have one BB that still reads Cingular and one that reads at&t. They're gradually transitioning everyone.

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Yeah, mine said Cingular when I was roaming, even though I'm on TMO, I'm always on roaming. Just last week it finally switched to AT&T.