First of all, I'm asking this question in this thread because there is never much ... General Blackberry forum

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F

Cingular mediaNet

Advertisement

First of all, I'm asking this question in this thread because there is never much traffic in the Cingular thread.

I have a Cingular Pearl with the personal BIS plan and 200 texts. Occassionally, like when I go bike riding, I like to take an older phone like my 6230 so I don't break my beloved Pearl. :smile:

My question is, if I were to 1) text and/or 2) go on the net with my 6230, would I be charged extra because I'm not using the BB server? I hope my question makes sense and thanks for any assistance.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: Cingular mediaNet

it makes sense...for sure. and you shouldn't. but i'll let a cingular account rep answer that one im pretty sure you can just switch your sim without any problems. you just won't get the push emails....

PIN/ID
    2102EF9F

Yah, I don't mind about the BB stuff like push email, I just don't want to get charged extra! (I hate surprises). Thanks for the input Cherri. Like you said, hopefully a rep will know about the charges.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Nope, you won't get charged for not using the BB APN. BB data plans are essentially supersets of the other data plans. They just also grant access to the BB APN.

SMS doesn't have anything to do with data anyway -- it's a GSM feature.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

just like said above - SMS is a phone feature so any phone will be able to text message regardless of plans (BB BIS or MediaNet). As for the internet, the BIS is the BB server and MediaNet is included so you should have no problems of extra charges. (That's why you see the MediaNet icon on your BB).
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

PIN/ID
    2102EF9F

Quote Originally Posted by cliffr39
    just like said above - SMS is a phone feature so any phone will be able to text message regardless of plans (BB BIS or MediaNet). As for the internet, the BIS is the BB server and MediaNet is included so you should have no problems of extra charges. (That's why you see the MediaNet icon on your BB).
    That is a very good point and one I was wondering about also. Why do we get a mediaNet icon along with the regular browser icon? Perhaps the mediaNet is included so you would not get charged for using it. The saga continues.....

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

The MediaNET browser is a WAP browser. The other browsers are HTML browsers.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

I've tried that theory about one being wap only and did not see any limitations as to websites I could visit compared to the regular browser. Both open and display the same webpages and share the same bookmarks.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

MediaNet browser allows quick and easy access to Cingular's ringtone/background/etc. store along with your account. It has shortcuts built into it that the other browsers don't.

Zo.