I'm looking for someone who has BIS through Cincinnati Bell who can use third party ... General Blackberry forum

bpursley no está en línea Stack level 2

Thumbs down Cincinnati Bell "Bad DNS Address"

Advertisement

I'm looking for someone who has BIS through Cincinnati Bell who can use third party applications that require TCP/IP, such as Opera Mini or BBWeather. Anyone???

I have the 8100 and the "unlimited" data plan (for 2 weeks now). Web Browsing and Email work, but I'm unable to get any of these to work, and I've tried every APN (wap.gocbw.com, blackberry.net, internet, etc). BBWeather just keeps giving me Bad DNS Address every time. I've tried a hard reset battery pull about 100 times, and resending service books. I called Cincinnati Bell twice and they said they dont support third party applications, and that I should contact the developer, but they assured me nothing was limited by them. I have 5 bars and "EDGE" on my display.

So I have two questions...

1. Is anyone able to run Opera Mini or BBWeather on Cincinnati Bell's network?

2. If no, then which company should I switch to that provides a network that doesn't cripple my device by having a screwed up network?

-Brian

The Ding Doc no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Cincinnati Bell "Bad DNS Address"

I just got service with Cincinnati Bell as well and cant use Opera mini on my BB. I keep getting a "failed to connect" message. Anyone have any ideas? they would be greatly appreciated. The APN settings I found online are correct. I double checked with Cin Bell and they assured me they dont have Opera blocked like Tmobile did. I greatly appreciate any helpful replies.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike Harris

Mike,

I'm beginning to think Cincinnati Bell has no clue about their own network. Its pretty obvious to me that they block third party apps that use direct socket connections (ie not port 80), since other people with the same devices but different carriers are able to run those applications. I've called them several times on this and they keep giving me the run-around saying that nothing is blocking it and even suggested that I call Blackberry's Pay-per-incident support for this issue, which I will not do.

The last time I called them I asked about getting my phone unlocked. Since I dont have a contract with them, I was going to switch to a carrier who does not block third party apps. But they refused to unlock my phone. Oh well I guess I can always go through one of those other services that unlock your phone.

The bottom line is I find it very difficult to recommend Cincinnati Bell to anyone who wants to use a Blackberry or any phone with a data plan, unless all you want to do is email and simple web browsing.

Lowrider no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Here, I've never been able to use ANY OTHER browser, CBW told me no password was needed on the APN , I'm lost.
    -----------------------------------
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

Thats the problem, Lowrider, Cincinnati Bell Wireless DOESN'T KNOW how to configure their APN, or else these applications would work. If they knew they would fix it, but they don't.

PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Yeah, they have great cust serv but sorry tech support.

Is there a way to get ALL CBW customers on PinStack to do a petition?
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Guess not
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

tbone6649 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2403CBE1

Try:
    wap.gocbw.com
    cbw as the user
    leave the password blank
    PIN me: 23F6D9C8

tbone6649 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2403CBE1

I have CBW and i use a ton of apps with no problem. opera mini, viigo, beejive, yahoo go!... ...... .... ... ..
    PIN me: 23F6D9C8

devilsadidas no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask

leave the user name field blank as well

PIN/ID
    Just Ask

I got Opera to work, use: wap.gocbw.com
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F

Quote Originally Posted by bpursley View Post
    Mike,

I'm beginning to think Cincinnati Bell has no clue about their own network. Its pretty obvious to me that they block third party apps that use direct socket connections (ie not port 80), since other people with the same devices but different carriers are able to run those applications. I've called them several times on this and they keep giving me the run-around saying that nothing is blocking it and even suggested that I call Blackberry's Pay-per-incident support for this issue, which I will not do.

The last time I called them I asked about getting my phone unlocked. Since I dont have a contract with them, I was going to switch to a carrier who does not block third party apps. But they refused to unlock my phone. Oh well I guess I can always go through one of those other services that unlock your phone.

The bottom line is I find it very difficult to recommend Cincinnati Bell to anyone who wants to use a Blackberry or any phone with a data plan, unless all you want to do is email and simple web browsing.

Does Handango carry http-tunnelling apps?

I wouldn't lay much faith on what the hapless help center employees have to read from cards verbatim, sometimes under pain of dismissal... ...such as

"Comcast does not block or otherwise restrict file sharing applications or any other network traffic"

(That's true, they don't -- the COMPANY THEY HIRED to do it does )

Good luck with this. Send CBW a copy of "Networking for dummies"

PIN/ID
    Just Ask

I can use socket connections, I use Nimbuzz daily.
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

Thanks everyone, I know it was a while ago, but since there has been somewhat recent posts in this thread, I guess I should update this. About 2 or 3 weeks after I had just given up and was considering switching providers (around the 4th of July weekend), it just suddenly started working. I was on vacation up in Michigan at the time, so I don't know if something on a remote network triggered it to start working. but it has been working ever since, and I changed nothing.

Throughout the whole time though, Cincinnati Bell Wireless was less than helpful on the matter, and actually a little bit rude about it, making it seem like I was not supposed to be running any third party applications on my phone.

By the way, my APN is wap.gocbw.com, with no username or password.

Thanks again to those on Pinstack who offered help.