Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just a quick one regarding charging the phone from the car. I have a belkin ... General Blackberry forum

Spoook no está en línea BES Pro

Charging in the car

Advertisement

Just a quick one regarding charging the phone from the car. I have a belkin usb car charger that fits onto the mini usb (got it with an old phone I think) but I noticed with my old phone that when i started charging it from the car the battery life became really bad. Has anyone experienced this? I'm thinking maybe there are surges from the car that might kill the battery, but that's just a guess. I'd love to chare my Curve from the car, but not if it could kill the battery...

curve247 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASK

Re: Charging in the car

I have a car charger and I will only charge my phone in an emergency. The car charger puts out different watts then the home outlet which messes with the battery life. I would avoid the car charger if you can.
    "T-Dub"
    T- Mo: BB 9700, 8900, 8220
    Sprint: BB 8330, 8830, 8130, 8703, 7250

But there's a beautiful view of the end of the world from the pier.....

thanks for the quick response. will take your advice

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

I find that hard to believe. If that was the case---and actually proven---that the car chargers could "damage" the battery use, I would think there would be massive class action law suits. A $20 charger could potentially kill my battery worth at least $50 for a replacement.

I think your charger is just bad. Also, I was under the impression that car chargers weren't permanent charges, they just get you through a crunch.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

hi thanks for your response, too. Well the charger used to charge my battery, so it must have enough amps to do the job. I guess my major concern was that a lighter in a car really isn't meant to provide electricity (I guess) and so I imagine it has no or little capacity to stop mini-surges and fluctuations. I know when I start my car, my lights dim a bit etc, so there must be fluctuations on the circuit... and the charger I have is literally a cable going from a lighter plug to a mini-usb socket - no transformer that might stop little surges etc. So knowing little about how the electrics work in a car I'm nervous. as I said my last device's battery started dying about the same time. that said, could be a coincidence or as you say a bad charger...

rjs87 no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by Spoook View Post
    Just a quick one regarding charging the phone from the car. I have a belkin usb car charger that fits onto the mini usb (got it with an old phone I think) but I noticed with my old phone that when i started charging it from the car the battery life became really bad. Has anyone experienced this? I'm thinking maybe there are surges from the car that might kill the battery, but that's just a guess. I'd love to chare my Curve from the car, but not if it could kill the battery...
    this is because the charge you get from the car is alternative current AC outlet at home or office is direct current DC

battery performance goes down from car charges because of the fluctuation in power the phone is getting while plugged into the car

d8nnii no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2569098C

Same here. My battery seems to go down instead of up cos I can't turn off the backlight when charging frm my car!~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

silviajdm no está en línea Stack level 3

Yeah I only give it a quick jolt if it's hitting red and only when the car is idling. If you notice when the defroster/ac is on the, the lights may dim a bit and it seems the battery is weakening? Well that's one of the things that associate with power influx so if your going to use the car charger, make it a brief one.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Quote Originally Posted by rjs87 View Post
    this is because the charge you get from the car is alternative current AC outlet at home or office is direct current DC

battery performance goes down from car charges because of the fluctuation in power the phone is getting while plugged into the car
    Actually it is backwards. Home and Office uses AC and converts it using a transformer in the charger to a DC output. A car has a rectifier in the alternator that converts the alternator's output to DC prior to it reaching any wires. If you are seeing surges in your lights and other powered equipment in your vehicle, I would have your electrical system checked out and make sure that your alternator is still in good shape.

Zo

iron07 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22bf2ae1

do what i did and buy a power inverter with a surge protector built in for 25-30$

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F

If you get an El Cheapo car charger you could potentially do harm. A telltale sign is when batteries charge TOO FAST... that is NOT good for them, it ages them prematurely.

So, get a good "charger"! I picked one up for about $70, it provides both DC and AC outlets and it has appropriate circuitry to stabilize, control the inevitable surges etc.

But I end up only using the AC ones! Yes -- I plug into it my _regular_, official BB charger, the one that normally goes to a wall AC outlet! As well as my laptop, etc.

[To belabor the obvious: the engine has to be running ]

corymccly no está en línea Stack level 2

The power inverter was what I ended up going with, too. primarily got it for the laptop but it does the job on the trusty blackberry, too!

iron07 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22bf2ae1

yea me too i bought mine for my laptop also the one thing i like about mine is it has a spot for usb so i can charge my BB or an ipod. and the unit is just a little bit bigger than my pearl.

Thanks heaps for all your advice guys. Just one more question: iron07, corymccly and qkast1 - what brand inverters are you using?

carmover no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24A059B4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I guess I'll be the odd man out here. I primarily use the car charger to charge my BB and have always done this with all my phones and have never had a battery fail. Like Amigotek said if your lights are dimming on your car for any reason get your charging system checked most car alternators put out 90 amps or better and there is nothing in your car that should come close to pulling that kind of power. Short of an outrageous aftermarkt stereo system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast