I have been reading about charging Li-ion batteries (specifically blackberry li-ion batteries) and the proper ... General Blackberry forum

jfpannone no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask

Question Charging All day

Advertisement

I have been reading about charging Li-ion batteries (specifically blackberry li-ion batteries) and the proper way to do it.

Some people say they only take up to 500 charges (whether the charge starts at 10% or 90%) before the battery starts to hold less and less of a charge. Some people say because of the chip on the battery they cannot be overcharged.

What is left unanswered (to me): Is if there is a negative effect when leaving it on a charger all day. I like to use it at work all day and want to leave the office with a full charge.

When plugged in (to a wall charger) and fully charged does it kill battery charging and start to power the device itself? (if that makes any sense, since the phone won't boot up with charger in and no battery). Or does it continue to charge the battery and then recharge when battery reaches 99%? If that is the case, and what people are saying about 500 charges before it takes less of a charge is true, then I would be wasting my battery pretty quickly...

a bit confused here, any thoughts/comments would be appreciated. I'd prefer no speculation since that is what I have been doing.

Thanks!

banglaberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2569B255
    Quote Originally Posted by jfpannone View Post
    I have been reading about charging Li-ion batteries (specifically blackberry li-ion batteries) and the proper way to do it.

Some people say they only take up to 500 charges (whether the charge starts at 10% or 90%) before the battery starts to hold less and less of a charge. Some people say because of the chip on the battery they cannot be overcharged.

What is left unanswered (to me): Is if there is a negative effect when leaving it on a charger all day. I like to use it at work all day and want to leave the office with a full charge.

When plugged in (to a wall charger) and fully charged does it kill battery charging and start to power the device itself? (if that makes any sense, since the phone won't boot up with charger in and no battery). Or does it continue to charge the battery and then recharge when battery reaches 99%? If that is the case, and what people are saying about 500 charges before it takes less of a charge is true, then I would be wasting my battery pretty quickly...

a bit confused here, any thoughts/comments would be appreciated. I'd prefer no speculation since that is what I have been doing.

Thanks!
    The battery is charged when you plug in. Doesn't have anything with charging or running the device without a battery. So, if you keep it plugged in, with the battery in, the battery is charged to 100% and stops charging, then if you use the device, it starts draining the battery, and if it's still plugged in, it starts charging the battery till it reaches 100%. So you are charging and recharging the battery if you keep plugged in and use it from time to time. If you don't use it, the battery will still recharge after some time, because your wireless would be on which consumes battery power, especially if the signal is low or if you are running 3G, or your wifi is on, or if your GPS is on. Hope this answers your question
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

dgburns no está en línea Stack level 3
    I think your friend is confusing current lithium based with older nickel based batteries. RIM (and most cell phone sites) recommend "topping off" your battery by charging it at any opportunity. Today's batteries want to be charged frequently. Of course there's no need to charge needlessly. Really, if you're going to charge it overnight and have enough charge to make it to bed time, there's really no point other than to have a more full charge indicator.

I agree with dgburns, although my knowledge is experiential. Modern handhelds can be charged recklessly and often! Go for it!

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    My comments are based on experience too - I charge mine often during the day - I leave aps on for long periods that sap the battery plus I often stream radio. I also plug it in every night and leave it. I don't notice any negative effects on the battery.

I can't tell if my usage shortens the life of the battery because I have nothing to compare it to. My batteries seem to last a long time though. The only time I've bought a replacement for one of my phones is I recently bought a Seidio extended battery for my 8330 and that was my choice - the battery that I'm replacing is still great...so now I have a spare.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

sooner no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfis. h View Post
    My comments are based on experience too - I charge mine often during the day - I leave aps on for long periods that sap the battery plus I often stream radio. I also plug it in every night and leave it. I don't notice any negative effects on the battery.

I can't tell if my usage shortens the life of the battery because I have nothing to compare it to. My batteries seem to last a long time though. The only time I've bought a replacement for one of my phones is I recently bought a Seidio extended battery for my 8330 and that was my choice - the battery that I'm replacing is still great...so now I have a spare.
    I do all of these and never have noticed any diff. I charge all nite full or not

jfpannone no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Great info. This is exactly what I was looking for. Answers from experience.

I was skeptical about charging too much now that I have a battery devouring Bold (at least mine, since I run a lot of apps (including streaming radio all day at work and in the car).

But with your replies, I feel much better about my charging tendencies. My new philosophy: Charge when you need to. Li-ion batteries are resilient mo' fo's.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Good job guys. That's why I love PinStack.