Hi, I recently bought a BB Bold from one the carriers here in Colombia. I ... General Blackberry forum

juajar no está en línea Stack level 1

Changing Carriers for BB Bold HELP PLEASE!

Advertisement

Hi, I recently bought a BB Bold from one the carriers here in Colombia. I used it for 3-4 days and then I bought an unlock code which is arriving in a week or so. What I want is to use the BB using a BB plan with the OTHER carrier here in Colombia. So my question is, is it enough just to get it unlocked, activate a BB plan with the OTHER carrier and use it??? Or is the phone somehow locked though RIM to the provider I bought it from??

PS. I can not get the first provider to unlock or release anything since I signed a 1 year contract with them.

Thanks for your help.

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    juajar, if the carrier you have now is like the carriers we have in north america, they'll ding you with a penalty for cancelling early - so, you should weigh that in your decision to switch. As for the device itself - if you get a SIM unlock code for the device, you can enable it on any GSM carrier around the world, but you should go to the blackberry.com site and see if there's a different version of the software that your new carrier has certified for the device. (each carrier's network is tuned differently - if the software is newer, you should probably upgrade). If the software is older, your current software should include the fixes that the new carrier needed for their network.

Cheers!

Thanks for your response.

What I mean is im not cancelling my plan with my original carrier (I weighed that in for the cost of my BB, I am just going to keep paying for it). But will I be able to use BB messenger and email with a BB plan on my new carrier??

Thanks in advance for your response

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    yes, with a proper unlock code, you will be able to use it on any GSM carrier and it *should* work as before.

Your new carrier will need to provide blackberry service (you can't just put a regular data/voice sim in). You should probably cancel your BIS e-mail account on your old carrier as well (if you set one up) - otherwise, creating one on your new carrier may be a problem (as BIS still sees your PIN associated with your old carrier). BlackBerry Messenger won't care.

rmarkowitz no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by juajar View Post
    But will I be able to use BB messenger and email with a BB plan on my new carrier??
    Which new carrier?

Have you checked on the details of their service/data plans?

To use your phone on other GSM networks nearby or around the world you need to unlock the phone and simply purchase a SIM card for the alternate network(s) you plan to use. The lock is called a SIM Lock. It binds your phone to the original phone vendor network. Not a problem if you don't mind paying roaming charges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_lock

To generate this unlock code you will be asked for the IMEI number of the phone. Customers in good standing can usually ask their original phone vendor for the SIM Unlock Code. Tell them you plan to travel to Europe and plan to by local pre-paid SIM cards. They will probably offer you world roaming $$$ but say no thanks. Or you can pay a fee to one of the many online unlock vendors. There are special instructions for entering this unlock code. RTFM.

Warning. When entering the unlock code you ONLY get 10 wrong attempts before the phone locks up. Like a brick.
    Last edited by rmarkowitz; 10-15-2008 at 11:20 PM.

Umm. rmarkowitz, read the original post - juajar couldn't get an unlock code from the first carrier due to contractual commitment and paid for an unlock code.

Thanks all for your help.. So my conclusion is that in fact doing this WILL work.

Thanks again

Hi, i changed the sim and everything is fine... Except my hotmail account doesnt seem to syncronize at all. My gmail account works fine.. Does this have to do with changing carriers???

Thanks

via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~