Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BBCool just wrote a blog about kids using cell phones and handed down blackberry's http://www.blackberrycool.com/2008/06/09/007432/ ... General Blackberry forum

Don LuiG no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask

Cell use affects sleep in teens dont give them a BB

Advertisement

BBCool just wrote a blog about kids using cell phones and handed down blackberry's

http://www.blackberrycool.com/2008/06/09/007432/

Title: Mobile use affects sleep in teens, don’t give them a BlackBerryDate: Monday, June 9, 2008, 10:07 AMAs I walk to work each day to get my blog on, I often pass punk kids blathering away on their mobiles. Recently, I’ve seen many of them using BlackBerry Pearls or hand-me-down 7290’s (still kicking!) from their parents. That’s why I’m pleased to discover today that all those punk kids in my way suffer from sleeping disorders.According to a research abstract that will be presented at the 22nd Annual Meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies (no, I’m not making that up), when compared to subjects with restricted use of cell phones, young people with excessive use of cell phones (both talking and text messaging) have increased restlessness with more careless lifestyles, more consumption of stimulating beverages, difficulty in falling asleep and disrupted sleep, and more susceptibility to stress and fatigue.So if you love your child, don’t give them a BlackBerry. It does beg the question, however: if this is what happens to teens, what’s going to happen to us?

sbhokc no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2461801B
    Good articl and I dont doubt it one bit....... My BB keeps me up late as well.....

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Great article, but as sbhokc said, I think it is not age-limiting.

bluefairy1971 no está en línea Stack level 3
    too late..my 13 and 14 year old girls are addicts. But they were also with their other phones, just not as much as with their berries.
    School nights however, they are off the phone before 10pm (including texting).

The weekends..its a free for all. (sigh) And with summer now here..all i hear are those clicks of the rollerballs...now they have even recruited their friends and cousins to upgrade to berries.

rjs87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    i just turn mine off late at night the green blinking LED light keeps me awake

Don LuiG no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Yeah I luv the BB messenger it be cool if it wasn't just by pin but integrated I'm and yahoo ect but yeah everyone around me sees mine and next week they got a BB I am wlays on it specially VIIGIO

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

sbhokc no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2461801B
    I just turned off the green blinking light. God forbid if I ever turned my Blackberry all the way off. I'd never sleep worrying about what I was missing. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)

wassona no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2439fbe3
    Bah. That was a common sense article. That was a day in the life of a typical IT department with Blackberries. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

dallas1125 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2576E92F
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I'm 16 and I don't have those prpblems.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I'm 29 and none of those things happen to me.

budkleppe no está en línea Stack level 3
    I've got an almost 4 year old daughter at home and if I leave my phone on the table she picks it up. She's actually getting good at PacMan, which is scary! Since we don't have a home phone, she uses it when talking to the grand parents.

She just asked me yesterday when she can get a phone, I just about died laughing!

I told her when she's old enough, the phones will just be "built-in" and she won't need to carry it around.

***THREAD JACK OVER***

At almost 30, I can say I have a few of the above problems. But, I've never been a morning person - my parents put me in PM kindergarten because of it.

bluebugangel no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Plz Ask
    First off, I want to start by saying, I LOVE MY DAUGHTER MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THIS UNIVERSE, and yet I did give mine a BlackBerry.

Here is the thing, I believe that if your kids are suffering from sleep deprivation, it is because they stay up all night on the phone and we all know BB's have a lot of things to offer and sometimes as adults we can not seem to put them down for the night. I can not say I trust the study that was done. My daughter comes out every night at 9, says good night and is out cold in dream land no later than 10. I worry more about her sitting up all night on the computer since so many kids have thier own computers now adays. I have not seen any dirogatory effects from my daughter, myself or my husband in using our BB's. I would be interested to know exactly how this study is done. Besides, if a little loss of sleep from using a BB is all of us parents have to worry about? I would say we have it made. Especially in todays society of drugs, alcohol and teen s*x! Let's face it, our kids could be doing much worse!

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    Douglas seems to have a problem with teenagers.

I'm on my phone often, but I don't suffer from sleep deprivation. I'm just an insomniac!

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro
    Other studies say teens have trouble sleeping because they are teens.
    Also the extra simulating beverages are problem the sleep problems. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    If you took away everything that kept teenagers up you would have to strip them naked and put them in cage! You can't just blame the berries. It all boils down to what kind of parent your are..........just my opinon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast