I'm just wondering if all CDMA BlackBerrys need a data plan, I know my 8703 ... General Blackberry forum

aexl no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    302723e6

CDMA/EVDO BlackBerry help

Advertisement

I'm just wondering if all CDMA BlackBerrys need a data plan, I know my 8703 does but I also know that GSM blackberrys work just fine without a data plan. Does anyone have some info about this? Thanks in advance.

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Re: CDMA/EVDO BlackBerry help

In order to have email and Internet, ALL BBs need a BB dataplan. I don't think you can say that GSM BBs work just fine without it. Some people have managed to get Opera mini working, but from what I have read, it isn't that great.

In essence, with no dataplan, you have a phone, SMS capability and a PIM for contacts and calendar. That's about it.

Personally, I really can't see the reason to spend the money for a BB and not get the BB dataplan. If you can't afford the dataplan, you need to consider a different device, because you will be very disappointed with all the things you can't do.

curve247 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASK

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i have to agree with dubdub. I am not sure anyone can get a BB from sprint or verizon without a BB plan. When I got my first BB sprint wouldn't let me not have a BB plan.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Agreed dubdub. You can use a BB without a plan but really not worth it.

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

to spend the type of money for a BB and not get a data plan dont make sense to me either

PIN/ID
    302723e6

Sorry, I worded the question wrong. On CDMA blackberrys to have the phone and SMS capabilities working properly you need a data plan, as far as I know. I'm wondering if it will apply to the new CDMA pearl, as the pearl is more media based then business based.

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

I think Sprint and Verizon require the dataplan but I do not think you have to have it for just phone and SMS. Maybe CDMA is that much different from GSM in that regard, but AFAIK SMS uses minutes, not data.

curve247 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASK

I have had a sprint BB without phone service. I know with Sprint only data plans are avaliable. They will give you a phone number and phone capabilities but its like .30 cents a min, thats just how they do it to make money.
    "T-Dub"
    T- Mo: BB 9700, 8900, 8220
    Sprint: BB 8330, 8830, 8130, 8703, 7250

But there's a beautiful view of the end of the world from the pier.....

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

My wife has a Verizon 8703e with only phone service--no data. She has this because she is expected to have a blackberry for work but the company won't pay for it. So she essentially has a phone that looks like a blackberry. This way we only pay a sweet $18.95/month ($26 including all the fees and other charges) and her supervisors are happy because she has a blackberry. Her emails go over to my full-function blackberry via pop3 so she still reponds quickly.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~...and her blackberry is my retired one so we didn't have to pay anything for it.

PIN/ID
    302723e6

I also have an 8703e but if I leave it for a while calls and texts don't go through. Calls go straight to voicemail. Bell told me this was because CDMA blackberrys required a data plan to function properly, but your wife doesn't have this problem?

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Sorry this is off topic.

So do you have a data plan? Do you have either AIM or MSN Messenger working? If you do please PM me. Thanks

Curve247 - no problems on the phone. It works just like the cellphone that was originally on that account.