Posted this over at CB, and I need to make more people aware so here ... General Blackberry forum

IrocD no está en línea Stack level 1

Why can't RIM get SMS right in 5.0? Please read!

Advertisement

Posted this over at CB, and I need to make more people aware so here it is. Please help!

Myself and a small minority of the CB Nation have been experiencing this very frustrating and unacceptable SMS bug. Please read everything that we know below in bold before posting a suggestion that's already been tried for the sake of keeping the thread useful. Thanks to all who contribute!

With practically every 5.0 OS, I've had an issue where like 85% of the time, I can't open a threaded SMS chat to read or reply after a while when the thread gets a little longer. And even going to 'compose SMS' and typing their name doesn't always work. So then I swapped in the .cod from like .411 or whatever, and even that didn't always work. I really like these 5.0's, but damn, can't they get this right? Or is there something else we're doing wrong? Somebody please shed some light on this for us cuz I'm at my wit's end with this. I'm about ready to go back to 4.6, which we shouldn't have to do!

Here's what we do know:

It doesn't happen to everyone- just a small minority of us. So please don't post just to say it hasn't happened to you, and you have XX BlackBerrys, and send XXXX texts a month, and have used X versions of OS 5.0 thanks!
    It is only in 5.0 builds, seemingly in .411 and later, both beta and official.
    It affects multiple models and carriers.
    Usually the persons are heavy texters, and have long threaded conversations.
    The problem is intermittent, and not app, theme, or database related.
    It sometimes goes away with a battery pull.
    It sometimes can be worked around by selecting 'Compose SMS' then entering the person's name, but sometimes not.
    Sometimes you can get in by rapidly clicking on the text, sometimes not.
    You can reply by deleting the thread and starting anew, but you'd lose any messages you were unable to read.
    Wiping your phone, and doing a clean OS install doesn't help.
    Not restoring your database from a 4.x build doesn't work either.

The only way to prevent this from happening, is to extremely frequently delete your priors. And we should not have to do this!!! No matter what we've done, once the SMS thread gets long enough, IT WILL HAPPEN!!!

That's all I can think of for now. I just don't get it. Is the threaded SMS module incapable of holding together more than a certain amount of messages? Why should we have to delete our priors? Some people like to keep a long history. Don't get me wrong, I love 5.0 and its threaded SMS, but I paid a lot of money for my device, and a **** ton of cash every month to Ma Bell every month to operate it. So I expect it to work! I know that I'm using a beta build (**edit** a build which is now official!!), and understand the inherent risks of doing so, but this is occurring in official builds too. Please help us enjoy our 5.0 to its full potential!
    Last edited by IrocD; 03-07-2010 at 01:23 PM.
    Unlocked at&t Blackberry 8900 Javelin w/ OS 5.0.0.509

BlackBerry Addict Since 2003

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    What device are u using? What carrier?
    If you are on att using any device, the answer is simple ATT DOES NOT SUPPORT OS 5.0.

THANKS

IrocD no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ealvnv View Post
    What device are u using? What carrier?
    If you are on att using any device, the answer is simple ATT DOES NOT SUPPORT OS 5.0.

THANKS
    Thanks for your response, but the answer is not simple. Did you read my whole post? The answer to everything you've asked is above. It has nothing to do with the fact that AT&T hasn't released an official 5.0 for my 8900, because like it says above, it is happening on multiple devices and carriers, official and beta. If you have anything else constructive to add, please do. We'd appreciate it.
    Unlocked at&t Blackberry 8900 Javelin w/ OS 5.0.0.509

BlackBerry Addict Since 2003

lovin2act no está en línea Stack level 4
    This happens to me too and I have always been quite annoyed by it. Hope a fix is found or comes soon now that you have made this thread! I thought I was the only one

SGZrazberry no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Just ask
    Maybe you should change the tone of your post and or responses to get better feedback Irocd. Good luck with your search.

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    Quote Originally Posted by SGZrazberry View Post
    Maybe you should change the tone of your post and or responses to get better feedback Irocd. Good luck with your search.
    Good point! It seems from your original post that you've covered all possibilities, therefore you (and the small minority of CB Nation) may just have to deal with it. There are a few bugs in the later OS' and although RIM should fix them, they just haven't. Sorry this is no help but I doubt you'll find it readily. Good luck!

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    It almost sounds like a memory and resource issue. I wonder if the device is nearing that point where it dumps data freeing up memory to continue working or maybe even a memory leak issue with the App. In order to correct itself or work correctly it dumps certain data.

There are several factors that are not known when u describe the problem. For example:

1. Which model devices does this occure on
    2. How much memory do each of those devices have
    3. Beta is Beta for a reason (so this can't help either)
    4. What are the models effected on the Offical released O.S

I guess the App has some issues as most all do but it would help to narrow down the devices, Memory and Offical vs un-Official OS builds. These are all important factors when trying to trouble shoot something.

moembamba no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    I'm on Rogers and am having the same issue , tried updating the 5.0 to Zain Kuwaits version.Its not as bad right now .