Hi, I've got blackberry on cingular. I fixed IT Policy but I still can disable ... General Blackberry forum

paflo no está en línea Stack level 1

Cant disable firewall

Advertisement

Hi,
    I've got blackberry on cingular. I fixed IT Policy but I still can disable firewall in my blackberry. Does anybody know how to do it?

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Re: Cant disable firewall

I haven't seen a way, but you can change permissions within that menu option.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

mavrik666 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2010578D

Seems this is a common problem, there must be someone here who knows a work around for this, or is it possible to re-write the policy.bin to add a command to disable the firewall??

DCookSta, the problem people are having is the the option to disable is NOT in the menu options.
    Last edited by mavrik666; 08-23-2007 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Automerged.

I'm curious why you would want to disable the firewall --

PIN/ID
    2010578D

Main reason for most people seems to be not they want to disable it, but the fact that they can't get Opera or some other internet access program to work, because the IT Policy is barring its access, this is despite apparently having disabled the IT Policy.

To me it would seem that the policy.bin that is being used to remove the Policy is just removing it from view in the Options / Security menu, and not actually removing the Policy.

We need someone to write a Policy that will enable internet access, or if need be disable it completely. This is really just for people who are using BB's that are not on a BES, and don't want to pay out for a personal BES

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

The inability to disable the firewall is not a problem.

Why do you think you need to disable it?

If you're having problems with apps working it's not the firewall or else no one would have working 3rd party apps on a BB.
    Last edited by takeshi; 08-23-2007 at 12:29 PM.

PIN/ID
    2010578D

To restate the problem most people seem to be having, its when loading Opera or any other internet app when the BB is no longer connected to a BES, and when the IT Policy as apparently been removed

The returned error comes up something like this....

The application operette $2dhifi$2duk has attempted to open a connection to a location insaide the firewall and outside the firewall which is not allowed by your IT Policy

Which, I guess, gets back to my question -- -- why disable the firewall? What we should be looking at, as you mentioned mavrik666, is removing the IT policy. When I buy BBs on Ebay (the entire list of handhelds in my SIG are all from Ebay) I remove the IT policy and it disables (or allows me to disable) the firewall. On my current 7105t, removing the IT policy actually removed the Firewall option from the Options menu. So I think removal of the IT policy is what Paflo needs. Here's the link at blackberryfaq:
    http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Remove_IT_Policy.

Another thought: I think that the Firewall on a BB is specific to the BlackBerry browser, although I might be wrong. If that's the case, then removing the browser and replacing it with the third party browser like Opera would also be a fix. Neg would be that the BB browser is necessary for at least one Blackberry ap (the "help" application) to work. But that's only a wild thought, only an idea

PIN/ID
    2010578D

Thanks for the links MArk, I did try that once before, but I've played around with my BB that much I think I should go through the whole procedure again !!

Will be trying this on a 7100v this weekend that I bought for my wife,so I'll update oevr the weekend from home or on Mon. when I get back to work

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

In such cases the IT Policy was not properly removed. Again, it's not the firewall.

PIN/ID
    2010578D

Just to confirm that its not the Firewall but that IT IS the IT Policy, just performed the same thing on a 7100v, and Opera Mini is returning the same error.

While the IT Policy removal help is removing it from the security menu, it is not changing it on the handset, what is needed is for someone to write an IT Policy that will enable Opera Mini to make connections outside the firewall.
    Anyone able to do this??

PIN/ID
    2010578D

Even if someone could rewrite the ITP to allow Opera access or re-enable the BB browser it would be a start