Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am considering getting an unlocked Bold for use on Tmobile. Will the 3G service ... General Blackberry forum

wifi4milez no está en línea Stack level 3

Can an unlocked ATT Bold use Tmobile's 3G network?

Advertisement

I am considering getting an unlocked Bold for use on Tmobile. Will the 3G service work or do Tmo' and ATT use different frequencies for HSPA?

UPDATE:

Ok so I did some additional research and it turns out an ATT Bold will not work on Tmo's 3G network. However, can I buy an unlocked Bold from another carrier elsewhere in the world that will work on Tmo 3G network?

wyy183 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AAA616
    From what I understand TMO uses unique frequencies for their 3G in the US.

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    I was surfing the web and I came across this. Very Interesting. It was listed as a bold.

<<<<<<<CHECK OUT THE BRAND>>>>>>
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

Quote Originally Posted by wifi4milez View Post
    I am considering getting an unlocked Bold for use on Tmobile. Will the 3G service work or do Tmo' and ATT use different frequencies for HSPA?
    I have an unlock ATT bold that I am using with Tmo. It works perfect; but no 3g. But I think if I use a 3g sim, maybe the 3g will work. I won't hold my breath on it. The EDGE network with the fast processor in the Bold makes browsing a breeze. Wifi works as well. No Myfave.

Pin me if you have any questions.

249E9154

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by planneau View Post
    I have an unlock ATT bold that I am using with Tmo. It works perfect; but no 3g. But I think if I use a 3g sim, maybe the 3g will work. I won't hold my breath on it. The EDGE network with the fast processor in the Bold makes browsing a breeze. Wifi works as well.
    T-Mobiles 3G service uses the 1700MHz frequency.
    The Bold does not run on that frequency, nor does any other 3G phone in the world. T-Mobile in the USA is the only one to use this frequency, so in order for T-Mobile to offer any 3G phones, the manufacturer of the phone must make a special model just for T-Mobile. Whereas AT&T uses the world wide standard frequencies for 3G. It's why I can take my Bold to Europe as I routinely do on business and it works just fine. In fact it will work anywhere in the world that has GPRS, or EDGE, or 3G. A very useful advantage of AT&T's phones.

Yes you can use a Bold on T-Mobile, (the sim does not matter) but it will function like their BlackBerry's do, on EDGE only.

Cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    T-Mobiles 3G service uses the 1700MHz frequency.
    The Bold does not run on that frequency, nor does any other 3G phone in the world. T-Mobile in the USA is the only one to use this frequency, so in order for T-Mobile to offer any 3G phones, the manufacturer of the phone must make a special model just for T-Mobile. Whereas AT&T uses the world wide standard frequencies for 3G. It's why I can take my Bold to Europe as I routinely do on business and it works just fine. In fact it will work anywhere in the world that has GPRS, or EDGE, or 3G. A very useful advantage of AT&T's phones.

Yes you can use a Bold on T-Mobile, (the sim does not matter) but it will function like their BlackBerry's do, on EDGE only.

Cheers...
    I was on ebay and I saw an add selling a bold with a Tmobile logo on it. I thought Tmo was not going to sell the bold; have that changed?

I have also heard Tmo will release a Bold in the US. In fact, there is a picture of someone using one at the DNC this year.

Quote Originally Posted by planneau View Post
    I was on ebay and I saw an add selling a bold with a Tmobile logo on it. I thought Tmo was not going to sell the bold; have that changed?
    Photoshop can make anything look real...

All kidding aside, I don't know & I highly doubt it. I've not heard a single thing about a Bold designed to only run on EDGE. That's what the new Curve 8900 is for, and it IS scheduled for T-Mobile.

All kidding aside, I don't know & I highly doubt it. I've not heard a single thing about a Bold designed to only run on EDGE. That's what the new Curve 8900 is for, and it IS scheduled for T-Mobile.
    Thats true, however here is another article about a possible Tmo Bold.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/28/w...t-mobile-bold/

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Admin/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Admin/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by wifi4milez View Post
    Thats true, however here is another article about a possible Tmo Bold.
    Frankly I would really like to see the Bold on T-Mobile as well as AT&T, the more carriers the better. It would not only drive up sales, but bring some more credibility to T-Mobile. They are a good company and I would like to see them get more BlackBerrys. Time will tell, it will be very interesting to see.

Frankly I would really like to see the Bold on T-Mobile as well as AT&T, the more carriers the better. It would not only drive up sales, but bring some more credibility to T-Mobile. They are a good company and I would like to see them get more BlackBerrys. Time will tell, it will be very interesting to see.
    Not to mention Tmo has the best plan pricing by far.

For Clarification, there is a Bold already operating on T-Mobile.

I forgot all about it while posting here as I was thinking that we were discussing T-Mobile in the USA. As I mentioned The 3G T-Mobile (USA) network runs on 1700 MHz. This is not the mainstream 3G standard. IT's something that is proprietary to T-Mobile USA only, if RIM were to produce a 1700 MHz Bold their market would be severely limited as the only carrier which it would work on is T-Mo USA. That's why I do not expect that to happen anytime soon.

Below, you will find the 3G network specs that T-Mobile uses in Germany. As you can see, there is no 1700Mhz band. The standard Germany runs on is the World Wide 3G Standard as I mentioned in my earlier post. Thus the phone at the DNC convention was the German model.

Mobilfunkstandards
    UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 Mhz)
    GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 Mhz)
    Wi-Fi (802.11b/g)
    Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

source

Thus the phone at the DNC convention was the German model.

Thats actually not correct. German Blackberrys have a different key layout (QWERTZ as opposed to the US QWERTY), where the 'Y' key is where the 'Z' key is. The image below (sorry its small!) shows you what I am talking about.

Last edited by wifi4milez; 11-15-2008 at 07:35 PM.

I have had the bold running on EDGE for about days now; It works fine.
    There is no lag when I use the browser as well. All my emails come in; actually my emails comes to my bold before they do when I use my computer. Its probably design to do that.

The photoshop comment is true. I use photoshop so I would know. But I have seen several different pictures. If its a prank; they are going out the way to make an impact...

Can you look into this, can anyone look into this......Thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast