Both my wife and I are out of contract. I have Verizon and she has ... General Blackberry forum

denvereric no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Can Pick New Carrier/New Smartphone -need help

Advertisement

Both my wife and I are out of contract. I have Verizon and she has TMobile. She has a blackberry (older one) and I have a Razor which only serves as a phone. We can get 2 new phones/a new plan/and move to any network. I am leaning toward BB but would consider another phone if it made sense. I don't think a touch screen would work for either of us.

I guess neither of us care too much about the bells and whistles but I would like to be able to also browse the internet and edit/sign/forward contracts- I am in real estate and have websites I check for task updates for bank clients as well as have internet based contracts that I use. She uses hers for general email. She also needs to have MS enterprise email through work.

We live in Denver and it seems like most carriers have the same quality of coverage in the city and mountains. We don't need international support. What would you do? It seems like there are many changes coming right now or real soon in the smartphone industry. Would you wait and see how the rest of the year fleshes out? I like the fact that tmobile is cheaper. $75/mo is covered by her work so a family plan is a good option for us. It is a nice problem to have but I don't want to go with an iPhone and be stuck with it for the next 2 years (or with the Google phone or even a BB and regret it).

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Denvereric,

If T-Mobile coverage is good in Denver, I'd go with that - they DO have very attractive prices. Look at the different Blackberrys for internet browsing and email possibilities- you can read in here about the different models - and on Blackberry.com. T-Mobile offers the 8320 Curve that also has wi-fi which offers speedy browsing at any free hotspot - you can also connect to it at home if you use wireless internet for your P-C(s). They also offer a calling package for about $10/month that gives you wi-fi calling that does NOT deduct from your normal minutes. It's worth considering. I know quite a bit about T-Mo - I just left them to go back to Alltel because their coverage here (as well as AT&T) in Little Rock is atrocious! and Alltel is fantastic but T-Mobile is a great company IMO.

Of course this site is made up of folks who LOVE Blackberrys so that's mostly going to be the advice that you get from us but I think we'll be fair based on what we know about other brands too in our recommendations. Good luck.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Thanks for the input. I realize I am on a Blackberry site but am hoping that many of you are up on the technology more than I am.

It seems like BBs are a little more timeless than all these other phones so that is why I am looking at them. Kind of a safer bet like buying a Honda or BMW instead of watching your model replaced yearly like many of the other car companies.

What about editing on the newer BB's? That is a need I have.

Axoi no está en línea Stack level 1
    Why not go into an AT&T or T-Mobile kiosk site and actually try using a blackberry first hand. At least this way you can get a feel for the device without actually purchasing it. I really didn't like the pearl after actually trying in the store. You can also check out the iPhone at the AT&T store. If you've never tried a touch interface you might actually like it. (Although they are a little spendy). You'll need to have DocumentsToGo in order to read word documents on a blackberry so be sure and ask about that before you sign any contract.

Good luck and happy 'berrying.

- Bill

The newer OS has Docs to Go which provides editing Word, Excel, etc documents - don't use it so I can't help with that. There is also an eOffice package - here is a review of that by one Pinstack user. I can't help you much with that either. If you're going to do much "keyboard work" I'd advise one of the Curves (83xx) series or any other BB with a full keyboard. The Pearl "sure-type" keyboard is a little marvel and I love it but for much typing the full keyboard is probably better.

I hope that helps some. Keep investigating and asking questions - you'll figure this out. I DO feel that Blackberrys have more longevity but honestly, I've never used any other smart phone. Just so you'll know, we have forums for "other" smart phones on Pinstack. I don't know how widely they're used but you might find some useful info there too.

In general, look at the "Forums" drop down menu at the top of every page (next to "Home") and go to any specific forum here and open another thread or jump in to a thread if you find one that you think will help. Good luck in your quest.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

ganns1980 no está en línea Themes Pro
    BBs are the king of email, I'd recommend them because of what you said about needing email. Also, IMO T-Mobile has the best customer service. Just my $.02!~via BB. (wap.pinstack.com)~

Thanks all for the input. The question is - do I wait a month (or more) before getting one? It seems like there are a bunch of new smartphones coming down the line including the Blackberry Storm....Thanks much. Eric

Denver, IMO, be aware of what's "just around the corner" (sounds like you are) and if one of those appeals to you more than what's available now, wait for it. If not, get what you like now. You'll have to decide at some point and you can always wait forever for that one that's "sure to be out soon."

Many devices seem to come out every year. I've decided to enjoy my Curve simply because I like it and it does what I need for it to do and more. For now I'll let other users "explore" and debug the new devices and let it go at that.

Just get as much info as you can about the devices, think it over and decide. You'll figure it out. Good luck.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    We have some jobsites in Colorado. Our Nextel/Sprint service doesn't do well there.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

BiggieMack25 no está en línea Stack level 3
    You could wait until Black Friday (a little over two months away) and cell companies will be swarming to give you the best deal possible. Great phone for minimal pricing. Plus by then you will have an even larger selection of phones with tons of capabilities you may need. I have two bb's (Pearl from T-mobile and Curve from Verizon) and both are great phones.
    Biggie Mack 25
    ....I can see my house from here.....