I have an unlocked BB from Rogers, can I use someone else's software (like AT&T) ... General Blackberry forum

hilroyy no está en línea Stack level 2

Can I use any Carrier Software on an unlocked BB

Advertisement

I have an unlocked BB from Rogers, can I use someone else's software (like AT&T) to install different apps on the BB and use their themes?

tdisom no está en línea Stack level 2
    Not exactly, you can use any carrier compatible with that phone. For example, if your phone requires a SIM Card you can't use carriers like sprint and altell because they don't use SIM Cards.
    Cannnnnt Stoooooooop Tyyyyyyyping!!!!

hilroyy no está en línea Stack level 2
    Thanks for the reply, it doesn't seem that way for me. I unlocked the phone and now I can use a different carriers sim card, but I cant use another carriers phone software. I am not talking about the desktop software but the software that allows you to format the phone. Are there different ways of unlocking phones, like being able to use a different carriers software.

Quote Originally Posted by tdisom View Post
    Not exactly, you can use any carrier compatible with that phone. For example, if your phone requires a SIM Card you can't use carriers like sprint and altell because they don't use SIM Cards.

Quote Originally Posted by hilroyy View Post
    Thanks for the reply, it doesn't seem that way for me. I unlocked the phone and now I can use a different carriers sim card, but I cant use another carriers phone software. I am not talking about the desktop software but the software that allows you to format the phone. Are there different ways of unlocking phones, like being able to use a different carriers software.
    The software loaded on your GSM device is identical to the software on any other device, so you don't need to change software. Rogers, Voda, AT&T, T-Mobile, even Verizon - it's all the same software. If you loaded software, including the system software, from your computer to your phone using Desktop Manager, then you have a long text file on your computer called blackberry.alx. This file is simply a list of instructions that identify your device to the operating system software and then determines what is and what isn't loaded onto your blackberry. A simple example: This is an actual snippet from my own blackberry.alx:
    --
    <!-- O2 filesets -->
    <fileset Colour="True" Java="1.0" series="8700" _vendorID="111|125|229">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_125_icon_320x240_w.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <!-- Orange France filesets -->
    <fileset Colour="True" Java="1.0" series="8700" _vendorID="119">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_119_icon_320x240_w.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    <!-- Rogers filesets -->
    <!-- Verizon US filesets -->
    <fileset Colour="True" series="8700" Java="1.0" _vendorID="105">
    <files>
    net_rim_theme_105_icon_320x240_w.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    Your phone has a vendor ID. For Verizon, that is 105; you can verify what it is on your Rogers device by pressing the letters "eace" while holding the "alt" key - an informational screen appears that displays (among other things) the vendor ID. The snip of blackberry.alx quoted above is a small cut of a section having to do with themes (specifically O2, Orange, Verizon and Rogers themes. The section the snip is from is actually much longer and includes other carriers.). It is saying, basically, (just looking at the Verizon section) if the device has a color screen (color=true), it's an 8700, it's using java 1.0 and the vendor id is 105 then download "net_rim_theme_105_ etc." A common practice amongst a lot of us Stackers is to rifle through blackberry.alx and change vendor ID numbers so we can use other vendor themes. Anyway, the long and the short of it is that there is no difference in the operating systems at specific product levels - the devices identify themselves to blackberry.alx, which then determines which portions of the Operating System is sent to your particular device.

If you want to learn to "manipulate" the blackberry.alx to do things like unlock vendor themes, etc., search through the Stacks using the search box above. Remember, though, always make a backup of your blackberry.alx so if you muff it up you have the original ready to put back into service!
    Last edited by Mark Stone; 03-17-2008 at 12:44 AM.