Can I use BB Messenger in Romania without getting charged extra? I don't want to ... General Blackberry forum

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5

Can I use BBmessenger in Europe?

Advertisement

Can I use BB Messenger in Romania without getting charged extra? I don't want to cheat my carrier, just wanted to know if it is possible. I talked to my carrier and they said that I could rent a phone from them that would work there for $40 and then it would cost $3.49 a minute for use. When I asked about data there was no response, when I asked about Messenger the rep just said, "not sure". Thanks for any advise.

doughboy4life no está en línea Stack level 4
    I believe as long as you have a data plan their should not be an extra charge but just to make sure you should call back and speak with another rep yes.

natesax7 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    244d259a
    There are always charges using a US phone outside of the US. Always.

With TMO you would get charged a data rate of $15 per megabyte!
    It might be tough racking up a MB on bb messenger, but it's definetly possible.

As far as data coverage, I would definetly call the carrier back and ask another rep. It sounds like you got someone who was ready to go home for the night.

dubai_bb no está en línea Stack level 3
    depends on your carrier. I am not sure but I believe that at&t is the only u.s. carrier that provides an unlimited international BB data plan. Check their website, I believe its $60-$70 per month which is pretty good. If you do not have an international data plan than yes you will be paying roaming charges on all data.
    Last edited by dubai_bb; 06-21-2008 at 07:51 AM.

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Quote Originally Posted by natesax7 View Post
    There are always charges using a US phone outside of the US. Always.

With TMO you would get charged a data rate of $15 per megabyte!
    It might be tough racking up a MB on bb messenger, but it's definetly possible.

As far as data coverage, I would definetly call the carrier back and ask another rep. It sounds like you got someone who was ready to go home for the night.

T-Mobile told me if I get a local SIM when I arrive in Europe there would be no extra charges -- and I would continue enjoying whatever I have in the US.

Still... do ask

Quote Originally Posted by gkast1 View Post
    T-Mobile told me if I get a local SIM when I arrive in Europe there would be no extra charges -- and I would continue enjoying whatever I have in the US.

Still... do ask
    You would have to ''unlock'' your blackberry before you could use a local sim, and even then you wont be able to use messenger because you wont have BIS. Unless you sign a contract and get a plan.

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5
    ok thanks to all.

rmarkowitz no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    I think the local service provider must offer BIS support in order for BB Messenger to work.

I'm located in San Francisco and subscribe to AT&T. I just got back from holiday in China and Thailand. I used local China Mobile & DTAC SIM cards. In both locations I had web access and found mixed success with the following applications.

Opera & BB Browser - Worked
    iSkoot - Worked
    Yahoo Go - Worked
    --------------
    BB Messenger - No Worky - Probably needs BIS support from local carrier.
    Yahoo Messenger - No Worky - Local carrier might have that IP:Port blocked.
    GPSED - No Worky - Local carrier might have that IP:Port blocked.
    Google Maps - No Worky - Local carrier might have that IP:Port blocked.

Pay attention to local carrier data charges. Unless you pay extra for some data plan the default plan might charge excessive fees for data usage. Worse case scenario you'll need to add "top-up" credits on the SIM card.
    Last edited by rmarkowitz; 06-21-2008 at 04:51 PM.

natesax7 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    244d259a
    I think the tmo rep you spoke with was a little unclear.
    You can use your phone, unlocked in europe, but you will only have what that carrier provides. So if it's just a prepaid sim card, most likely you'll just have phone service.

BIS service is a 'contract' service for all carriers. That's how RIM gets money for running the BIS. I wouldn't expect to be able to find a prepaid service that has BIS access.

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Quote Originally Posted by dubai_bb View Post
    You would have to ''unlock'' your blackberry before you could use a local sim, and even then you wont be able to use messenger because you wont have BIS. Unless you sign a contract and get a plan.
    By "local SIM" they meant a local T-Mobile SIM.

Quote Originally Posted by natesax7 View Post
    I think the tmo rep you spoke with was a little unclear.
    You can use your phone, unlocked in europe, but you will only have what that carrier provides. So if it's just a prepaid sim card, most likely you'll just have phone service.

BIS service is a 'contract' service for all carriers. That's how RIM gets money for running the BIS. I wouldn't expect to be able to find a prepaid service that has BIS access.
    In some countries where the operators don't have contracts there is monthly prepaid BIS and BES service. Here in Dubai we have it;

BB Unlimited Local: $50 per month
    '' ''International: $75 per month

kieranwest no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me:)
    Quote Originally Posted by dubai_bb View Post
    In some countries where the operators don't have contracts there is monthly prepaid BIS and BES service. Here in Dubai we have it;

BB Unlimited Local: $50 per month
    '' ''International: $75 per month
    Heck I'm moving to the UAE!

I left out one thing.... its prepaid, but you have to be a resident living or working here. It doesn't work on the standard pre paid sim's.