Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Several people have told me that I cannot send a blackberry user a simple text ... General Blackberry forum

vmyers no está en línea Stack level 1

Can I send a text message without PIN?

Several people have told me that I cannot send a blackberry user a simple text message (SMS) if I don't have their PIN number.

I tried it out and my friend, who owns a blackberry, never received the message I sent. I also tried it with an SMS texting site and they didn't receive it from there either.

Is this true?

Thanks.

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    Blog Entries
    Incorrect you should be able to send SMS messages from one Blackberry user to another. I have plenty of friends that I do not have their pin number and am able to message them all the time. Ask yourself this question. If you sent out an SMS message how would your Blackberry know if the user has a Blackberry or not?

That's exactly the same thing I thought. I also thought it could be something specific from Blackberry.

In my case, it wouldn't be from one Blackberry to another. It would be from one regular GSM phone to a Blackberry.

I tried to send him several text messages, but he never received them. That's when he mentioned the PIN number.

caboose06 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    GoGrEEn!
    sms should work fine, i send texts all day long to various people with different devices.

Then why wouldn't he be able to receive text mesages?

I have a KRZR (in a gsm network) and he has never received any of the messages I've sent him.

Thanks.

caboose06 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    GoGrEEn!
    i dont want to sound like captain obvious, but are you sure that you have his number plugged in right?

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like something that you will have to check out with your carrier. I know one of my friends cant send me MMS from her phone but its something to do with Alltel not having an agreement with her carrier. SMS however works fine.

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    Blog Entries
    Can he send a text message to you? Are you able to message others with no problem? As the others have mentioned...PIN #'s have nothing do with SMS being received or being able to send.

Who is your friends carrier? Alltel, AT&T, T-Mobile?
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    This is very strange I send sms messages from my bb to non bb's and bb's here and overseas, on. Att, t-mobile. Sprint and verizon. I never use the PIN. Isn't sms based on telephone numbers? Have you tried sms texting others?
    Are you using blackberry messenger or normal sms texting?
    Is your firewall blocking sms texts?
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

banglaberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2569B255
    either of the two (sender or receiver) doesn't have the service center number properly setup in the device. Should get auto setup, if sim removed and inserted back again. Should also check if network selection mode is set to manual. It ought to be auto. Otherwise don't see why sms won't work gsm or cdma, work globally irrespective of provider. Mms is more provider dependent

getsugatensho no está en línea Stack Professional
    What does the service center number have to do with sending SMS messages? Texts are strictly phone number dependent.

What is the service center number?

Excuse me for being ignorant, but I am cdma and have never heard about that.

PIN/ID
    2569B255
    options-sms and check details there

That really didn't answer my question. I don't have something that says service center.

I've got delivery period, priority, call back number, and some other crap. And I know the call back number has nothing to do with if a text goes through or not.
    Last edited by getsugatensho; 05-09-2009 at 07:47 AM.

PIN/ID
    2569B255
    I have no idea of cdma. But, in general, if you hit options, you will see just below 'security options' an option named 'SMS'. If you go in there you will find different settings like whether you want a delivery report, bla, bla, and you will see 'service center number'. Although sms is phone number based, it uses a default for all users of a given provider 'service center' number. If there is a prob in the number, you will either not receive or won't be able to send sms. Sending usually is the prob

If anybody else knows anything about this, please jump in. Because my cdma has nothing of what he just mentioned. Is the gsm really that much different from cdma, that options are different?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast