Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I have heard that the shutter sound is the result of a federal regulation. Since ... General Blackberry forum

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A

Thumbs up Camera Shutter Sound and Making It Location Specific

Advertisement

I have heard that the shutter sound is the result of a federal regulation.

Since RIM is originally from Canada, I am assuming that this is Canada's federal regulation.

My suggestion is this:

Make the camera shutter sound (option of on/off) location specific. What I mean by this is if someone in the USA wants to shut the camera shutter sound off, if they have their service provider's OS they can have that option, but the OS has to be from a service provider within the USA.

Do I make any sense?

For example:

Someone using Rogers would not have the option of shutting off the sound because of this "regulation."

Someone using T-mobile USA would be able to shut this sound off because there is no regulation like that...I think. If I'm wrong correct me.

But you get the basic idea...

What does everyone else think?
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    One thing to be aware of is, anything sold in the US must, I repeat MUST conform to our laws. One of the big ones you would notice is if you drink a German beer here and then go overseas and get the same Beer, you will quickly find that the beer has less effect here because of the Alcohol laws here, stupid I know. I am not so sure this is a LAW issue, I have not seen said Law. If it were a Law then My Canon Camera which is not much bigger then a Blackberry would not have the ability to disable the Camera sound. I know there has been guessing that it is a law issue. but no one has yet to post a link to any law US or other wise for this. It maybe that RIM is doing the as a way of keeping their devices to be used imporperly

Just my best guess except on the Beer part that is fact.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    There is no US federal law pertaining to cell phone camera sounds. There may be a state or local statute about it, but none specifically that I'm aware of. What is law is specific usage. And I don't think I have to explain that.
    There are laws in Japan and Korea about cameraphones requiring a sound, at least last time I researched it.
    The location based idea is a good one, but would be hard to implement perfectly. For instance, if your gps is turned off, or if it places you in the wrong area. And there would be privacy concerns. Obviously the gps would have to consult a central server of "ok" places and "not ok" place. People don't like having their location constantly tracked.
    I'm all for the ability to turn it on and off whenever I please. Give the user the power, and let them use it wisely. I want every option possible.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by BenMarvin View Post
    There is no US federal law pertaining to cell phone camera sounds. There may be a state or local statute about it, but none specifically that I'm aware of. What is law is specific usage. And I don't think I have to explain that.
    There are laws in Japan and Korea about cameraphones requiring a sound, at least last time I researched it.
    The location based idea is a good one, but would be hard to implement perfectly. For instance, if your gps is turned off, or if it places you in the wrong area. And there would be privacy concerns. Obviously the gps would have to consult a central server of "ok" places and "not ok" place. People don't like having their location constantly tracked.
    I'm all for the ability to turn it on and off whenever I please. Give the user the power, and let them use it wisely. I want every option possible.

im sorry what i meant by location specific was the service provider's OS and its parameters.

A T-Mobile USA OS would allow the option of shutting the shutter sound...

A T-Mobile Japan OS (referring to what you just said) would not allow you to have the option of shutting the shutter sound.

I don't know if Japan has T-Mobile...but that was only meant as an example.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky13mt View Post
    im sorry what i meant by location specific was the service provider's OS and its parameters.

A T-Mobile USA OS would allow the option of shutting the shutter sound...

A T-Mobile Japan OS (referring to what you just said) would not allow you to have the option of shutting the shutter sound.

I don't know if Japan has T-Mobile...but that was only meant as an example.
    I understand now. That of course wouldn't stop folks from buying overseas. Or if they coded it anything like the vendor theme coding or if it was OS version specific, it would also be easy to bypass. But still an excellent suggestion.

PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by BenMarvin View Post
    I understand now. That of course wouldn't stop folks from buying overseas. Or if they coded it anything like the vendor theme coding or if it was OS version specific, it would also be easy to bypass. But still an excellent suggestion.
    yes that is true...but that wouldn't be RIM's problem right?

that would be a problem for the person changing his/her phone's OS in order to turn off the shutter sound...breaking the law of their country in the process.

once RIM distributes a disclaimer saying something like "The device purchased is meant to have the OS of that person's country, RIM is not liable for any tampering of the OS, or changing of the OS, to bypass local laws done by the purchaser," they shouldn't have to worry about this issue, and countries that don't have these laws won't have to deal with it if they don't have to.

That sounds reasonable doesn't it?
    Last edited by lucky13mt; 04-09-2008 at 04:25 PM.

StephenGuy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30636d59
    I think that sounds very reasonable, a very well thought out idea. And this means if we update to an out of country os we can still tweek it to our likings like the vendor themes

PIN/ID
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenGuy View Post
    I think that sounds very reasonable, a very well thought out idea. And this means if we update to an out of country os we can still tweek it to our likings like the vendor themes
    thanks

this idea can thrive if we get support from all the stackers

pwaugh no está en línea Stack level 2
    We all know why a camera noise is now intentionally manufactured into phone cameras, and personally, I'm glad. I would prefer women be protected from abuse any day of the week, especially when there is really no legit need for a silent camera outside of law enforcement or intelligence service. Just like you don't need a silencer at home, you don't need a silent camera either in my opinion.

PIN/ID
    N/A
    what about browsing at a museum?

i was recently at a museum and there were people with cell phone cams taking pics but when i did..."CLICK!"...i was like omg this is getting so annoying and i can tell people around me were thinking the same.

not everyone is a pervert.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaugh View Post
    We all know why a camera noise is now intentionally manufactured into phone cameras, and personally, I'm glad. I would prefer women be protected from abuse any day of the week, especially when there is really no legit need for a silent camera outside of law enforcement or intelligence service. Just like you don't need a silencer at home, you don't need a silent camera either in my opinion.
    Sleeping baby.
    Wildlife.
    Museum or library.

kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2444409C
    Also, sleeping wildlife at a museum

butterfly2 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    7FFBC4F3
    I think having the option to turn sound on or off would be a good idea...we have the option to use or not use flash!!! Sometimes I m on a bus/train in nyc and I m taking a pic of a nice scenery and ppl look @ me nasty because they may be in my line of fire and they hear the shutter and swear Im taking a pic of them as if!!
    A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man should have to seek Him first to find her.
    Maya Angelou

PIN/ID
    N/A
    lets keep this going show support for the idea and lets make it happen

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    Its easier to stalk my wife, if the camera doesn't make a sound. She is so cute when she sleeps * Giggle*
    Last edited by pda.teck; 04-14-2008 at 02:02 PM.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast