Hello, This is my first post here, although I have been lurking for a while. ... General Blackberry forum

JayC33 no está en línea Stack level 1

Calander Share vs. Goosync vs.Hosted Exchange or other suggestions, What's your opini

Advertisement

Hello, This is my first post here, although I have been lurking for a while. Sorry for the long post, but thanks in advance for taking the time to read, and hopefully respond.
    I have been seraching, and reading trying to compare these options on and off since I got my BB, and consitantly for about a week now. Now I am looking for some advice and opinions from those of you that have tried these options. I have been a long time gmail/ gcal user, and would Idealy like to be able to sync my google calander, and hopefully contacts, wirelesly with my BB. I am also open to changing to another PIM if this can be done easily and inexpensively. I it's just myself and an assistant so the lower cost the better. I would like to have the ability for both of us to view and update data.
    I know I have seen it said that Goosync requires a $40 additional s/w to work on the BB, (plus the $40 at currrent exchange rates to get contact sync) Is this still true? Has anyone used this, is it worth it? And is it a onetime charge or recurring?
    Any and all opinions and suggestions are welcome. Thanks again.

genoist no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3179F2D7

Re: Calander Share vs. Goosync vs.Hosted Exchange or other suggestions, What's your o

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I have used the trial version of the add on software for using GooSync on the BlackBerry. Aside from having to initiate the sync yourself instead of being automatic it worked well. I'm not sure if it is worth the money though.

Here is my thought for you: Do you use Outlook in the office? If you do, you could run BB Redirector on your assistant's computer. As long as that computer stays on, and connected to the internet, it will keep your contacts and calendar synced up with your Berry. If you're not already running Outlook, the cost for a single licensed copy is pretty low, I saw a copy on Amazon for about $70 IIRC. Cheaper than a sub to GooSync and a purchase of the additional add in software. Plus it isn't a recurring charge. Hope that helps.

JayC33 no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Calander Share vs. Goosync vs.Hosted Exchange or other suggestions, What's your o

Thanks for your reply, sorry it took so long to respond,and thanks for your suggestion. But using redirector may not be the optimal solution since we both work from laptops. This is why I thought of an online solution. But I can look at the options of setting up a pc dedicated to a redirector. In the mean time I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks again Pinstack.

jinforida no está en línea Stack level 1

I have a new blackberry 8830, but until 2 days ago I had a new Palm Centro. I was using Goosync very successfully on the Centro, in fact, it worked flawlessly. I then paid for the version that includes client sync, it was about $30 when you include the pounds conversion, but it was worth it. I only had the paid version for about a week, and never got the auto-sync paid feature to work properly, and did not attempt to contact their customer service yet regarding that. However, other than that, it worked very well. I was also able to transfer 3500 contacts in about 10 minutes on the first try, and on the next try, since there was minimal changes, it did 3500 contacts in about 30 seconds. So, in short, Goosync is an excellent program for the Palm Centro (using Sprint).

However, when I changed to a Blackberry I had problems. For the 8830, the Goodsync required a work around as mentioned above that gives a free trial for a couple weeks, and if you like it you pay $40 for it. It is a ridiculous price to pay for a little work around program, and for which I believe there might be free open source work arounds. However, based on my good experience with Goosync on my Palm Centro I would pay again (although with some serious resentment) to have that convenience again on my Blackberry. For me, accurate, fast, and convenient scheduling is probably the most important convenience feature I need. I need the google calendar because I do not have outlook running, and i have migrated to Open Office for free. Also, I don't want computer desktop based calendar programs, that is why i chose google calendar, and my whole family puts our appointments on there from any computer, and it lands on my phone with Goosync.

So what is the problem? The problem is I have been having so many duplicate appointments on my blackberry and on my googole calendar. They are not cancelling each other out, they are making new duplicates each time i sync them. Its a bloody mess, as i set it to do appointmnts for one year in advance, and holy macaroni, i now have a year of duplicates, for those things i do every week, they are duplicated like 4 times, i have to erase a year of that stuff on both my blackberry and on googole calendar, talk about a time waste!! That was using the trial work around.

So i called the company, nexthaus, that makes the work around, and they said they have had this problem as an ongoing concern, that they are working on it, and they made a ticket number of my complaint, and they are suppose to get back with me, supposedly with a solution. I hope they do....

Also, I think there is a nother sync program out there called "google sync" for blackberry. Anyone know anything about that one?

Also, there is apparently an open source solution for the same thing, but i am prgramming illiterate, so the open source discussion makes no sense to me. I know the discussion site somewhere, here is some part of that discussion, at blackberry forums.

If anyone understands the opensource methods, and they work with google calendar, let me know, and or if the "google sync" program works, let me know, of if anyone got the goosync working properly on the blackberry, let me know.

Thanks all!!

Jon

crutcherk no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3280610B
    Have you tried the new google sync app? I do believe it is free.

Quote Originally Posted by JayC33 View Post
    Hello, This is my first post here, although I have been lurking for a while. Sorry for the long post, but thanks in advance for taking the time to read, and hopefully respond.
    I have been seraching, and reading trying to compare these options on and off since I got my BB, and consitantly for about a week now. Now I am looking for some advice and opinions from those of you that have tried these options. I have been a long time gmail/ gcal user, and would Idealy like to be able to sync my google calander, and hopefully contacts, wirelesly with my BB. I am also open to changing to another PIM if this can be done easily and inexpensively. I it's just myself and an assistant so the lower cost the better. I would like to have the ability for both of us to view and update data.
    I know I have seen it said that Goosync requires a $40 additional s/w to work on the BB, (plus the $40 at currrent exchange rates to get contact sync) Is this still true? Has anyone used this, is it worth it? And is it a onetime charge or recurring?
    Any and all opinions and suggestions are welcome. Thanks again.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by crutcherk View Post
    Have you tried the new google sync app? I do believe it is free.
    yeah I have used that also, not too bad. it's free and recommended to try over the others that are only trial http://www.google.com/mobile/sync/index.html
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

umanben no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    317f3afd

Another vote for google sync works great and I can't wait till they get the contacts to sync

ian.mains no está en línea Stack level 1

I use google sync and it works great! I love how you can email and text your appointments and voila they appear later on your calendar. I can't wait until they start doing contacts. What I'd really like us a google task manager to sync with my BB.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~