I was wondering if anyone out there bought their phone from an online source or ... General Blackberry forum

Carcharhinus no está en línea Stack level 1

Buying a phone outside AT&T

Advertisement

I was wondering if anyone out there bought their phone from an online source or any place that was not sponcered by their provider? My 7130c just took a crap on me and I'm outside my warrenty so I was thinking of buying a pearl. I liked my 7130c but since AT&T stopped selling it I've found it hard to get after market software. So can anyone help me out and tell me what I should look out for or if its a bad idea and I should fork over the money and go through AT&T.

Thanks for reading

Prorock no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Buying a phone outside AT&T

You could try buying a new BB from a pinstack member. I don't think you would have any problems.

Prorock no está en línea Stack level 3

Try the bBay link in the forums page.

curve247 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASK

I bought my BB on ebay and havent had any problems at all. It was alot cheaper and works great. I would just make sure the phone is free and clear to be activated. Get a guarantee that it can be activated without a new contract.

cyberspastic no está en línea Stack level 5

I've purchased phones on ebay with no problem. Some suggestions if you go that route - make sure the phone is unlocked and it has been released from the previous owner. I always email the potential seller and ask if they will be available if there are any problems setting up service with my provider -- I did buy a BB once that was still registered to the former user, but I called him and he called the service provider and released it. Also, pay attention to the feedback rating of sellers!

However, now that I know about this forum, I would probably try to purchase a BB here first...

skunk22civic no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2408989b

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I'm selling mine..

Quote Originally Posted by Carcharhinus
    I was wondering if anyone out there bought their phone from an online source or any place that was not sponcered by their provider? My 7130c just took a crap on me and I'm outside my warrenty so I was thinking of buying a pearl. I liked my 7130c but since AT&T stopped selling it I've found it hard to get after market software. So can anyone help me out and tell me what I should look out for or if its a bad idea and I should fork over the money and go through AT&T.

Thanks for reading
    I would go look at Ebay. It is very easy to find a GSM device there that will fit your needs. To purchase on Ebay, there's a few things to keep in mind:

1.) Buy from a reputable seller. Every seller has a Feedback Rating, and you can read customer comments, both bad and good, and decide whether it would be appropriate to purchase.

2.) Since you will be looking for a GSM device, you won't need to have your phone "released" or anything like that. On a GSM phone (AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.) you just insert SIM card and start working. On Verizon and some other services, you would need to get that release that others in this thread have mentioned. (This is one of the things I like about GSM -- the ability to switch phones at a whim by swapping SIM cards)

3.) Look for phones locked to Cingular or AT&T, or a GSM phone that is unlocked. But, if you see a phone you can't live without and it's locked to another GSM carrier, it's not much of a hassle to unlock the device yourself after you receive it. Instructions are clear and here at Pinstack.

If you've carefully chosen your seller, then your phone will be in the condition advertised. Honest sellers are specific about cosmetic and/or functional issues. But beware of someone selling a "perfect" BlackBerry if they are a new seller, or they have a low feedback rating. Stick with busy and established sellers with high ratings.

After you get your new Berry, many times there are a couple of issues to deal with: First, the unit may be passworded; and secondly, there may be an IT policy on the device. Both of these issues are easily dealt with, and there are specific instructions on how to do so here at the Stacks. I buy and sell cell phones on Ebay all the time, and when I've received passworded and IT policy laden BlackBerrys, it's always less than 60 minutes until the device is set up for my use.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

2.) Since you will be looking for a GSM device, you won't need to have your phone "released" or anything like that. On a GSM phone (AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.) you just insert SIM card and start working. On Verizon and some other services, you would need to get that release that others in this thread have mentioned. (This is one of the things I like about GSM -- the ability to switch phones at a whim by swapping SIM cards)
    On a blackberry that isn't always true. Yes you can just throw your sim in and use the phone but if the pin is attached to an account you will not be able to set your email up. When they are talking about releasing a BB they are talking about making sure that the PIN has been released from whatever account it was tied into before.

Zo

Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek
    On a blackberry that isn't always true. Yes you can just throw your sim in and use the phone but if the pin is attached to an account you will not be able to set your email up. When they are talking about releasing a BB they are talking about making sure that the PIN has been released from whatever account it was tied into before.

Zo
    You're right -- I wasn't thinking email, just phone. I are a birdhead! I use BlackBerrys for phone only without data, so oftentimes I forget about the push email and PIN when responding. Thanks Amigotek!

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

You also need to make sure the seller's account is paid up and up to date and that the phone is not on the lost or stolen list. If so, all you have is a paperweight as NO carrier will touch it.

Carcharhinus no está en línea Stack level 1

thanks to all of you for the great help. I was lucky enough to convince AT&T to send me a replacement phone. I'm still going to buy a pearl, but I'm going to wait until winter. Thanks for all the great advise on what to watch out for. I always wondered if I could use a phone that was with T-mobile since they use the same network as AT&T. Thanks again. It really helps having a forom like this for questions like this one.

Later