Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I would LOVE to see a BlackBerry with the following upgrades for browsing: 1) Opera ... General Blackberry forum

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: browser revamping, camera, etc.,

Advertisement

I would LOVE to see a BlackBerry with the following upgrades for browsing:

1) Opera AND the BB browser on the same device to give us a choice as to which one to use as default.

2) JAVA support.

3) The ability of an outside browser to do 3rd party installations (the BB browser sometimes fails to complete these).

4) HTML email without the need for Empower, etc.

5) 3G browser speeds. I have no need for WiFi.

jeremyblaze no está en línea Stack level 2

Forget new features, RIM has to focus on quality. Everyone I know with the pearl has had major issues. Personally, I have had 3 replacements since Feb for hardware failures, and numerous software issues. BB needs an IT staff to keep working, and most consumer users won't have that.

nuopus no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2406A5FB

Name one other phone out there with a camera good enough to replace your Nikon. If you say there are lots, maybe you should consider spending more than $20 on a digital camera. There are absolutely NO phones that can do that ... so I don't know why you are complaining. The ONLY one that comes kind of close is the Nokia N95 with a 5mp camera.

Screw the camera.

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

I'm all about getting the BEST experience out of my electronics as well gang... but, let's remember... it's a phone/pda -

And all though it's a convergence device, it will NEVER completely replace all the other single function items out there... iPods will always be better, 8.0+mp Cameras will always be better... it's the curse of being "Jack of All Trades, Master of None" -

BBs bring convenience to our lives for certain... but, I still want my Camera for pix of the family and events... i still want my iPod as my primary music player, etc...

And the day I pay a $GRAND$ for a mobile phone is the day stackers get invited to my funeral proceedings...

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

gkg3059 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    204bd5f7

That of course would be heaven. I don't think it would cost all that money thought. I've never paid more than 300 for a phone and I don't thunk I will any time soon. Not with the technology that we have now.

littleacorn no está en línea Stack Professional

jeremyblaze: i hear you man....i replaced my pearl and it drove me nuts. various issues from the bluetooth to the battery. blah!

jscottbarnes:
    if you will, some of the women that read this forum easily spend $1k on a pair of shoes or a handbag. a phone is entirely within limits. if i can spend that much on other phones, handbags, and shoes, i certainly could make an exception for this one.

nuopus:
    the n95 from my previous experience has a really awesome camera. id still have the phone save for two drawbacks, the push email and the keyboard reeks. but even so, i wont replace my nikon but, when im out and about i want to know i can at least take a picture with decent quality. right now as things stand? the camera on the bb leaves a lot to be desired.

erica:
    html attachments....god. its good to know that i am not the only one annoyed by this; of the lack of this capability on the phone.

qkg3059:
    true that. it was a number i just threw out there. doubtful itd be that much. maybe, 600-700.
    Last edited by littleacorn; 08-06-2007 at 09:58 AM.

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

Some of that factionality can be found in a $1k UMPC, like the Samsung Q1 tablet (except for camera, etc). We've been deplying the Q1 as "PDA-on-steroids" for users needing the {full Office 2003/Windows apps/VPN/access-to-emails-back-to-1993} -sort of thing. The users have been findingh enough Free-Wifi to make it useful, and for the COO we'll looking at adding the Sierra Wireless 875U usb 3G card.

My wife has one of these Samsung Q1 devices, and she loves it. She has a BB too (7130c, she didn't want the Pearl).

I understand revamping the browser, camera, etc. But at some point you need to stop and evaluate what you are trying to accomplish. It might be better to instead of making a monster PDA, to instead attack he problem from the other end, and find a tiny, full-fledged computer like a UMPC. sure you lose the smartphone and phone capabilities, but you end up with a full computer (XP tablet edition), which might be more ideal, all things considered. YMMV.
    Last edited by Aroc; 08-06-2007 at 10:14 AM.
    Domino 6.5.6FP1 | BES 4.1.4

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by littleacorn
    with that said, the highly anticipated bb's are due on the marketplace sometime soon and it leaves me wondering why certain features are still not upgraded namely, the browser. yeah sure its great with gps and wi-fi; those are major improvements but, when devices are being released by other manufacturers that make a bb browser seem archaic it makes me question what exactly is RIM thinking?? if they're to tap into the new demographic acquired with the sale of the pearl's then they need to amp up their game in the multimedia arena.
    They're working on changes. If you doubt that, try using a 7290. Not all changes are going to happen overnight.

Are you emailing bbsuggestions@rim.com? RIM doesn't actively monitor all the BB forum sites.

1. camera with high enough mp to lose carrying my nikon,
    It takes a lot more than just "more MP" to make a cell camera a suitable replacement for a digital camera. It takes better optics, better sensors (not just more MP but better light sensitivity etc) as well. I really wish people would understand that MP only reflects one aspect -- of many -- that affect picture quality. Judging cameras solely on their MP rating is like shopping for cars based solely on the top speed of the car. There are a lot more features that you need to consider and look at.

If your Nikon is a DSLR then you can completely forget about it...

its true rim has made advancements from their very early products but we mustnt compare apple's work within the industry to that of an established company. keep in mind apple was a novice when they approached the idea of making the iphone they didnt have precedent to build upon. blackberry? they've been in the game a lot longer and have years of engineering & technlogy they can tinker around with to obtain a "jesus phone" for blackberry users.
    Look at the devices that RIM had over those "years of engineering & technology". They were very basic email devices. The consumer market is totally new to RIM. The Pearl -- their first consumer model -- isn't that old. I don't see why we shouldn't be bringing Apple in for comparison as both companies are new to the consumer cell phone market.

i dont feel this particular device is out of the question or far away but im beginning to tire of the small adjustments that they make to pacify us with products that do 50/50 of the features that we secretly obsess over, when they could keep us in anticipation for an extra year for a phone that encompasses all things HOLY.
    I doubt they're releasing new models with additional features just to "pacify us". They're integrating new features as they're able to do so. If you don't want a device with small adjustments then don't buy the interim models. Wait for the next generation. In this case, don't buy anything until the 9xxx devices are released.

dont get me wrong, i love blackberry. i have ventured into other pastures from the N95, the prada phone, tried my boyfriend's iphone, and i always come back but i sure wish that the features that are standard in other high end phones be standard on a device that is craving to branch into the mass consumer market.
    IMO you really have to pick what you want. There are plenty of "do it all" devices out there but none of them work as reliably as the BB in my experience. Sure, all the whistles and bells would be great but feature number 1 that matters to me is reliability. All the features in the world don't help if I'm stuck resetting or troubleshooting my phone all the time. With all the issues that I've read about regarding the Pearl and the Curve it seems that RIM is already running too fast to catch some quality control issues. Hopefully they won't lose this one advantage when trying to comply with demands like this as I'd definitely jump ship if stability went down the drain in an attempt to satifsy such requests.

The best practical thing you can do is to continue to check out other devices as they come out. No one has released the perfect device. Every option out there is a compromise -- you just have to choose what you're willing to compromise most on (features, stability, price, etc).

In video production we have a concept known as the "golden triangle" but it really applies to anything in life. Imagine a triangle with Good, Cheap and Fast at the three corners. You can pick any point within the triangle you want but as you approach one corner you end up compromising on the other two. Everything in life is like this. Maybe it's not Good/Cheap/Fast but Reliable/Cheap/Fully Featured or even some other combination...

to me a smartphone should have everything i need so i dont have to carry around that extra device be it an ipod, camera, fm/am tuner that i have to shove into my handset. it should do these things for me.
    Good luck. With all tech there's always something newer and better down the road. Even if you got your wishlist device it would become "obsolete" pretty quickly.

the technology is out there and sure it may take millions to cultivate but hello....was i the only one reading the quarterly profits? um, yeah. zero excuses.
    Money doesn't solve everything. Seriously -- by your reasoning Microsoft should be releasing flawless software. You tell me what the reality is.

and dont even get me started on opera mini....that is not a real web browsing experience. that is a mobile version of the internet that i rather not even try. i want to be able to look at web pages as though im sitting at my computer.
    You'll need to lug around your PC monitor then. You can't expect the same browsing experience as you get at 1280x1024 on your PC on a QVGA (320x240) screen.

Have you tried Desktop View in the browser?

Based on everything in this thread, I'd suggest getting some realistic expectations. I don't mean this to sound catty -- it's just a practical viewpoint. You can demand all this and never be satisfied or you can realize that there are limitations in the real world versus what you imagine and then reconcile the differences.

At least you mentioned that you were willing to pay $1000 for such a device. Problem is that not enough other people would be willing to do so. Try getting several million others others willing to fork over that much and then you'll have RIM's ear..

I'm not saying that the BB is perfect. It could definitely benefit from everything that you've listed as wants. I just want RIM to not lose sight of why many of us choose the BB over everything else -- it's a device that we have been able to depend on over the years.
    Last edited by takeshi; 08-06-2007 at 10:44 AM.

bird2920 no está en línea Stack level 2

I think it is time for a petition.......

We could start one here... come on you know you want to... JK

(not that you could force a company to build a device)

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

No petition is needed. Just send a note to bbsuggestions@rim.com .

I suspect RIM will recant on the HTML email thing. I believe RIM has always cited security concerns for HTML email (which are very real). But RIM has also adopted memory cards in the latest BBs and that was someting RIM was previously adamant about not supporting (Again, security concerns).

I have a feeling we may see HTML email in O/S 5.0 and BES 5.0 (and the corresponding consumer/prosumer versions of BIS). I believe the release dates for O/S 5.0 and BES 5.0 have been suggested to be just after WES 2008 conference next year.
    Domino 6.5.6FP1 | BES 4.1.4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12