Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wether I choose BB Browser or Internet Browser, I can still access internal company websites. ... General Blackberry forum

wifi4milez no está en línea Stack level 3

Browser question

Advertisement

Wether I choose BB Browser or Internet Browser, I can still access internal company websites. I thought you were supposed to only be able to access internal sites when in BB Browser mode? Any ideas on why this works both ways for me? I have a BB 8830 with Sprint, and I use BES for corporate email.

**I did post this question about a month ago, but nobody answered. I hope to clear it up this time!

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

Re: Browser question

I have never had a problem accessing secure websites if that 's what your asking.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

Secure websites arent the issue. Its internal corporate websites that I am referring too. You are supposed to only be able to access internal websites via the BB Browser. I can access them via the BB Browser AND the Internet Browser setting.
    Last edited by wifi4milez; 11-07-2007 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Automerged.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Are you using Bookmarks or typing in the GoTo Screen. Bookmarks have a use Browser setting. And the 8830 and other newer BBs may have the ability to know when to switch from the Default Browser Configuration to the needed one.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr View Post
    Are you using Bookmarks or typing in the GoTo Screen. Bookmarks have a use Browser setting. And the 8830 and other newer BBs may have the ability to know when to switch from the Default Browser Configuration to the needed one.

Rcbjr.
    I am going to the GoTo screen and entering the word "marketing" for instance. It then brings up my internal marketing website. This happens whether I have BB Browser or Internet Browser selected.

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Sounds to me like the IT policy has not been applied to your phone. Either that or your corporate IT policy allows limited browsing.

The company I work for has a very restrictive IT policy, even for PC workstations. Even still, some sites (like Pinstack, knock on wood) are allowed through the filters even though similar sites are completely blocked.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

davidscott no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32c28f5e

Question Re: Browser question

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr View Post

Rcbjr.
    so i font even have to change that setting?

Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
    Sounds to me like the IT policy has not been applied to your phone. Either that or your corporate IT policy allows limited browsing.

The company I work for has a very restrictive IT policy, even for PC workstations. Even still, some sites (like Pinstack, knock on wood) are allowed through the filters even though similar sites are completely blocked.
    Here's the thing. I can access any website I want, so there is no policy restricting that. My main question/concern is why I can access internal corporate sites using either setting. If I understand how they work, then using the internet browser is the same as using a PC that is off my corporate network. If I am at home using a non-corporate PC and I type in "marketing" it wont connect to my corporate network, so why does my BB still do so while in the "internet browser" setting?

Spoook no está en línea BES Pro

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I still find it confusing what does and doesn't go through the BES. Try this when in your internet browser: go to www.whatismyipaddress.com - if traffic is going through the BES I think you will get a response saying you are using a proxy and the proxy details will say something like this:

Proxy Server IP address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (this should be the public ip address of your BES server)
    Proxy Server Details: MDS_4.1.3.14

This indicates that you are going through the MDS on your BES server and not through the Internet directly via your carrier.

I would hazard a guess and say that if your company is providing your BB and the plan, they don't want you racking up huge dollars using up data that isn't covered in the plan so they have disabled using the APN of your carrier. For example we have an unlimited blackberry plan - but this just means that data between the BES server and my bb is free. Any data used outside this would cost normal data rates. When I look in options I have no APNs associated but like you I can surf fine through the BES. I guess this means that I cannot surf the net outside of the BES environment, even if I use the Internet browser. Hope this makes sense - as I said I'm kind of figuring it out as I go...

Quote Originally Posted by Spoook View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I still find it confusing what does and doesn't go through the BES. Try this when in your internet browser: go to www.whatismyipaddress.com - if traffic is going through the BES I think you will get a response saying you are using a proxy and the proxy details will say something like this:

Proxy Server IP address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (this should be the public ip address of your BES server)
    Proxy Server Details: MDS_4.1.3.14

This indicates that you are going through the MDS on your BES server and not through the Internet directly via your carrier.

I would hazard a guess and say that if your company is providing your BB and the plan, they don't want you racking up huge dollars using up data that isn't covered in the plan so they have disabled using the APN of your carrier. For example we have an unlimited blackberry plan - but this just means that data between the BES server and my bb is free. Any data used outside this would cost normal data rates. When I look in options I have no APNs associated but like you I can surf fine through the BES. I guess this means that I cannot surf the net outside of the BES environment, even if I use the Internet browser. Hope this makes sense - as I said I'm kind of figuring it out as I go...
    Wow, this is even stranger! So using the BB Browser (I guess the one that is going through my BES) I get an IP address of 216.9.XXX.XX BUT, when I run the same test using Opera Mini (which doesnt use the BES as far as I know) I get a 168.215.xx.xxx IP. So clearly the BB Browser and Opera are using different connections to access the internet. I guess this goes back to my original question however, is there a difference when using the BB Browser and the Internet Browser (not Opera)? My guess is that somehow both BB Browsers are somehow tied into the BES, while Opera manages to go around it.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I asked the same question in another post. Aparently Opera mini can't use BES so I guess that would be correct. Does your internet browser give the same ip address as the BB browser? And can Opera mini surf intranet sites?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoook View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I asked the same question in another post. Aparently Opera mini can't use BES so I guess that would be correct. Does your internet browser give the same ip address as the BB browser? And can Opera mini surf intranet sites?
    Both the BB and Internet Browser take me to the same IP, which is odd. One is supposed to be using the phones data network, while one uses the BES. I guess somehow my phone is defaulting to the BES for either option.

By the way, I was using www.whatismyip.com, and I just tried the address you suggested (www.whatismyipaddress.com). As you thought, it does show that I am using a proxy server, and that MDS is also being used. If I go to that address using Opera, it still shows I am using a proxy server but MDS is not being used. Opera also obtains a different IP address in this case as well.

Strange huh! I guess the conclusion you came to is the only possibility - the Internet browser and Blackberry Browser are both going through MDS, but not the Opera mini browser. I guess this doesn't answer your question though of why. I thought the same as you, that the Internet browser didn't go through MDS. As I said, the only reason I can guess at is that the Internet browser can be controlled my the BES policies, but the Opera mini browser cannot. Be careful, if you are a plan like mine - unlimited Blackberry, anything that doesn't go through the BES will be charged as excess.

ChrisPortman no está en línea Stack level 1
    Ive been trying to work out Opera and intRAnet access too and i think Ive worked out why it will not work.

Opera Mini uses its own proxy to speed things up for mobile devices and will use it no matter what and there doesn't appear to be an option to disable it. What this means if your using BES, is that the traffic will go through the BES proxy and then to the Opera Mini proxy for processing thus internal intranet access is not possible as the OperaProxy cant access your internal resources.

You can check this by using whatismyipaddress.com (whatismyip.com is a different site that wont tell you about proxys) and you should see that the ip is that of your BES servers public interface but also that it came through the opera proxy.

So basically the traffic flow looks like this...
    request:
    BB -> BES -> OperaProxy -> website
    responce:
    website -> OperaProxy -> BES -> BB

Thanks
    Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast