Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Originally Posted by jaesternbach I think that more people jumped ship for an iphone because ... General Blackberry forum

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by jaesternbach View Post
    I think that more people jumped ship for an iphone because of the touch screen. Yes the browser is a greater experience, but I feel that majority were wowed by the touch screen capabilities. Those witty finger flicks and rotation of screen is what people have come to love. I mean, the iphone was the fist of it's kind to have touch screen capabilities like that (beyond that of a treo.)

I think rim did a good job with the storm, but it won't ever be an iphone and I don't think the co. Will capture the same audience.
    I have to disagree here with you for a moment. While I agree that the touch screen may be what drew people to the iPhone, if the browser wasn't what it is, they wouldn't have stayed.

After having tried one, I can say that while I do like the touch screen, and I do like the browser, I can't deal with the e-mail or the keyboard. Frankly, the one feature that almost had me convinced to stay with it was the browser. But in the end, simple turned out to be better for me.

The touch screen is amazing -- I won't argue. But the share of the market that this feature alone will appeal to is much smaller than the share of the market who stay because they want a great web browser.

RIM won't touch the Apple fans or those who want an iPod / Phone. But they could (if they execute properly) get back a great deal of market share if they put out a great browser.

Almost every serious email / data user I've talked to about the iPhone admitted that the BB would fit 90% of their needs better -- but the web experience keeps them away. That speaks volumes to me.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

milz no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    25701BC7
    Hmm...I typed up my 1st impressions of the storm....posted it...and it's nowhere to be seen! So now I have to try again...but it'll be radio edit:

I got my Storm today, was very excited to finally get it! Overall though I'm disappointed. The click screen is pretty cool, except when attempting to type emails, or type quickly. The screen clicks with every key press, which makes accurate fast typing difficult. The touch screen is pretty responsive. It may just be my handset, but the screen change from portrait to landscape takes a few more seconds than I'd like.....It's not all bad though, it does have many good features....and I am kinda torn....but I think I will go back to my Bold....

Any questions...?

jaesternbach no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b04967
    Quote Originally Posted by milz View Post
    Hmm...I typed up my 1st impressions of the storm....posted it...and it's nowhere to be seen! So now I have to try again...but it'll be radio edit:

I got my Storm today, was very excited to finally get it! Overall though I'm disappointed. The click screen is pretty cool, except when attempting to type emails, or type quickly. The screen clicks with every key press, which makes accurate fast typing difficult. The touch screen is pretty responsive. It may just be my handset, but the screen change from portrait to landscape takes a few more seconds than I'd like.....It's not all bad though, it does have many good features....and I am kinda torn....but I think I will go back to my Bold....

Any questions...?

How far in does the screen click? Is it a hard push to regester?

PIN/ID
    24b04967

Any questions...?

How far in does the screen click? Is it a hard push to regester? What about the manuvering of the internet? Conveinent?

milz no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    25701BC7
    No, it's quite a gentle click-think clicking a mouse button. The screen doesn't press in that much....enough to be registered as a click, but not so much that it's ridiculous.

I found internet browsing a tad annoying. When I tried to click on a link (you're meant to touch lightly to highlight and then click to confirm the action) , it would zoom into the page, which obviously was not was I was trying to do. Browsing is fast though, and the sites I've been on load fast.

I know much of what I've said seems very negative, but the Storm is a pretty good touchscreen device, but for me, being unable to type fast on it, is a big drawback for me.

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    You just confirmed all my suspicions.

I have been saying all long. The lack of a real keyboard will be a deal breaker.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Yup!

Between the actual experiences posted here and the BGR review, it looks like the Storm won't work for my usage (heavy typing / texting). Oh well... I really didn't expect it to be a great device to type on. But I was holding out hope -- touch screen devices are cool to play with!

Now when's that 3G Javelin coming out?
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

PIN/ID
    24b04967
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwood0 View Post
    I have to disagree here with you for a moment. While I agree that the touch screen may be what drew people to the iPhone, if the browser wasn't what it is, they wouldn't have stayed.

After having tried one, I can say that while I do like the touch screen, and I do like the browser, I can't deal with the e-mail or the keyboard. Frankly, the one feature that almost had me convinced to stay with it was the browser. But in the end, simple turned out to be better for me.

The touch screen is amazing -- I won't argue. But the share of the market that this feature alone will appeal to is much smaller than the share of the market who stay because they want a great web browser.

RIM won't touch the Apple fans or those who want an iPod / Phone. But they could (if they execute properly) get back a great deal of market share if they put out a great browser.

Almost every serious email / data user I've talked to about the iPhone admitted that the BB would fit 90% of their needs better -- but the web experience keeps them away. That speaks volumes to me.

Hmmm...valid point. To me, it's crazy that a browsing experience alone would strongly sway so many people from a bberry. I suppose the reasons I love my bb is not for the same reasons people love the iphone. Oh well, different strokes for different folks

cadillacz713 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2438f811
    Go with the storm that's what I would of done~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    24b04967
    No, it's quite a gentle click-think clicking a mouse button. The screen doesn't press in that much....enough to be registered as a click, but not so much that it's ridiculous.

I found internet browsing a tad annoying. When I tried to click on a link (you're meant to touch lightly to highlight and then click to confirm the action) , it would zoom into the page, which obviously was not was I was trying to do. Browsing is fast though, and the sites I've been on load fast.

I know much of what I've said seems very negative, but the Storm is a pretty good touchscreen device, but for me, being unable to type fast on it, is a big drawback for me.

The unability to be able to type at a rapid rate is what keeps me far from those touch screens. I am sure the storm will sell well with the consumer market, just not as much with the business users. Hopefully with the second touch screen rim makes it will be phenomenal.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    At the end of the day, after using both an iPhone and a Blackberry (non-touchscreen model), I'd have to say that I'm sticking with the Berry. I'll give up the web browsing experience for the typing speed.

However, I'd really like the best of both worlds. The Bold looks good, but I'm not sure about the keyboard. The new Javelin I think will be perfect for me (especially when / if it goes 3g). But regardless, until RIM comes out with a really good web browser, I'm always going to pine for the iPhone when I want to check out a webpage.
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

newleonne no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24a2aaeb
    bold for me. Still dont wanna give up my keyboard yet

lanestith no está en línea Stack level 2
    I'd say the bold. Just because I hear the storm is laggy and I HATE laggy phones
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Mr_Carter no está en línea Stack level 5
    So, now that its out, what do you guys think of it? ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123