Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Oops just realized you are in the UK. I'm in the US and Verizon is ... General Blackberry forum

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator

Advertisement

Oops just realized you are in the UK. I'm in the US and Verizon is the carrier for the Storm.

ccmaine no está en línea Developer
    I'm an iPhone lover but I must admit the STORM looks amazing. Thinking about getting one for work and keeping the 3G for personal use.

milz no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    25701BC7
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~lol @ pdx...yep, I'm in the UK. Vodafone is the only network (carrier) over here that has the storm, so I signed up on an 18 month contract, and got the BB free....

....It was due to be delivered today......I'm still using the bold....smelly couriers didn't show!

Was I mad? Yep! Disappointed? Yep! Frustrated? Yep!

But I'm hoping it comes tomorrow.....today was a sad day! (!)

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Sorry it didn't come today. But, you are lucky to get it before the US. I heard 11/21 for the US. Definately let us know when you open it up and try it out.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

thymaster no está en línea Stack level 3
    Wait 3 more days and go for the storm.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    After all the issues with the Bold, I can't help but wonder if it wasn't because of RIM redirecting their R&D resources to the Storm. Especially since that is RIM's direct competitor with the iPhone. And if indeed this is the case, perhaps it was a good move on their part even if it did hurt the Bold. After all, the Storm is garnering a lot more public attention.

jaesternbach no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b04967
    I think it all comes down to personal preference. Do you do more email and sms usage or more internet and media usage? For myself, I would rather go with the bold. Although I am not a big business user, I think that the storm's touch, er...click screen would lose it's "coolness" factor fast. I am still pretty on the fence about touch screen phones in the first place, so I could be a little biased. lol.

The easiest thing to do is go and play with one at the store. By doing this, your not committed to buy anything and it gives you the face time needed to make a smart decision.

PIN/ID
    24b04967
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    After all the issues with the Bold, I can't help but wonder if it wasn't because of RIM redirecting their R&D resources to the Storm. Especially since that is RIM's direct competitor with the iPhone. And if indeed this is the case, perhaps it was a good move on their part even if it did hurt the Bold. After all, the Storm is garnering a lot more public attention.

I would definitely agree! I am seeing way more ads for the Storm than I am the Bold. It is very interesting how everything is panning out. I am sure Rim's PR and marketing team are working over time on the storm. At this point, the storm does seem to have further potential in the cell market today, tomorrow, a year from now.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    I think the Bold was a worthy upgrade for professional BB users but I do have to agree here. RIM was starting to lose the casual / media user to the iPhone and I think they are really trying to draw that crowd back with the Storm.

Frankly, I think they are making a bit of a mistake here. The Storm is a direct competitor to the iPhone, but the biggest reason I feel that people jump ship to the iPhone is for the browser -- not necessarily the touch screen. However, I'm just as excited as the next to play with a touchscreen Blackberry. Now if they can give it an awsome browser and the productivity isn't hampered by the touch screen, I'll be the first in line once it comes to AT&T!
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    I want the storm, But is looking into the Thunder to see if it will work on Tmo. I have the bold until that happens or a full GSM storm is released.
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

Quote Originally Posted by mjwood0 View Post
    I think the Bold was a worthy upgrade for professional BB users but I do have to agree here. RIM was starting to lose the casual / media user to the iPhone and I think they are really trying to draw that crowd back with the Storm.

Frankly, I think they are making a bit of a mistake here. The Storm is a direct competitor to the iPhone, but the biggest reason I feel that people jump ship to the iPhone is for the browser -- not necessarily the touch screen. However, I'm just as excited as the next to play with a touchscreen Blackberry. Now if they can give it an awsome browser and the productivity isn't hampered by the touch screen, I'll be the first in line once it comes to AT&T!
    I could not agree more with the points you have made.

I'm very disappointed in RIM, for the self inflicted "overload" of having so many new devices in the R&D pipeline all at once. After all, if we look at this chronologically, they went from the Bold announcement first, which lead us all to believe that it was their next upcoming "super blackberry", to suddenly hearing about all of these others just about 8 weeks after the Bold announcement.

Expecting a "first in - first out" release interval of the Bold, then the others, it was very surprising when the Pearl 8220 Flip appeared and was ready for market ahead of the Bold. Then the Storm appearing nearly concurrently, was the final straw that convinced me that the Bold was indeed rushed. Futher proof of this being the problems with the Bold which are rather uncharacteristic of RIM.

As a professional business user, I was counting on the Bold to be much better than it is. Especially considering my usage and that of my company is just that. Corp. usage.

Then as you so aptly pointed out, the Browser is a critical element in the success of the iPhone. The very fact that the display on the Storm is smaller, is already one strike against it, no matter what the performance is. Yes I do believe that overall it will be superior, especially when typing due to the nature of the new Synaptic's technology for the touch screen, but display size is crucial so as to compete on a level playing field and RIM has crippled themselves in this area. Obviously time will tell, but it would have been nice if RIM would have spaced out the release of these models appropriately in order to insure the best quality that RIM is capable of producing from day one.

PIN/ID
    24b04967
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwood0 View Post

I think that more people jumped ship for an iphone because of the touch screen. Yes the browser is a greater experience, but I feel that majority were wowed by the touch screen capabilities. Those witty finger flicks and rotation of screen is what people have come to love. I mean, the iphone was the fist of it's kind to have touch screen capabilities like that (beyond that of a treo.)

I think rim did a good job with the storm, but it won't ever be an iphone and I don't think the co. Will capture the same audience.

Quote Originally Posted by jaesternbach View Post
    I think that more people jumped ship for an iphone because of the touch screen. Yes the browser is a greater experience, but I feel that majority were wowed by the touch screen capabilities. Those witty finger flicks and rotation of screen is what people have come to love. I mean, the iphone was the fist of it's kind to have touch screen capabilities like that (beyond that of a treo.)

I think rim did a good job with the storm, but it won't ever be an iphone and I don't think the co. Will capture the same audience.
    I believe it was both, the browsing experience, and the way the touch screen / user interface operates. It's all about the Masterful Hype Machine that Steve Jobs has created. While I dislike their arrogance, their misleading adds, the way they tend to "hide" problems, or ignore dealing with them, I do give Steve Jobs a lot of credit for being one of the best hucksters of the modern era.

That said, I do think that the storm will sell very well and have it's own user base. But the phone will always lack the "cool factor" that surrounds Apple Products, and most specifically the iPhone.

PIN/ID
    24b04967

Agreed. Funny enough, I see a lot of similarities between ATT and Apple...maybe that's why there such good business partners. Lol.

Agreed. Funny enough, I see a lot of similarities between ATT and Apple...maybe that's why there such good business partners. Lol.
    I'd have to agree that there are indeed some similarities. However the one really obvious difference between the two is that AT&T does not misrepresent their products the way Apple does. In addition AT&T is pleasantly devoid of the arrogance, that is part of the Apple culture. AT&T has always taken care of me, which is much more than I can say for Apple, even though I continue to be one of Apples customers. I have simply chosen to accept that when doing business with Apple their egos, and superiority complexes will prevail over customer service. It's all about them first. The customer simply represents a wallet to drain. All one must do to verify that is to look at how cash rich Apple is at any given time. Then tell me their products are not horrendously overpriced (iPhone notwithstanding), and they spend very little honoring warranties. Apple is a very clever, self absorbed company.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast