Ok, I'll hold up my hand.. I'm a blackberry noob. I've used a pearl (on ... General Blackberry forum

se99jmk no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    204E3A57

Question Blackberry with Exchange 2006?

Advertisement

Ok, I'll hold up my hand.. I'm a blackberry noob.

I've used a pearl (on Voda) at my old company, by just putting in POP3 settings to the Voda web interface.
    Just joined a new company who have an Exchange 2003 server, but we're not using blackberries atm.

So, what would be our options for connecting to the Exchange server?
    New phones would be on Orange.

I presume Orange has a web setup interface like Voda, so I presume we can use POP3 through that (PUSH email is not required, just the ability to pick it up). Are there any changes we need to make on the Exchange server to make that happen?

I believe the other options are as follows:
    1. BIS - I think this is the same as the Orange web interface? email yes, but no Calendar or Contact sync
    2. BES - the full fat version. full 2 way sync for everythying, but $1100 cost for (x - unknown number) users?
    3. BES Express - same as BES (full fat), but limited to 15 users max. 0 setup cost and 1 license. $100 for aditional licenses.
    So far 1 or 2 people will be using blackberries, but potentially 10-20 within 4-5 months.

---------------------------------------
    As far as I can tell, POP3 will do what we want for now, just don't know if this works with Exchange 2006 or how easy this is to setup on Orange?
    ----------------------------------------
    My boss is using a Windows based PDA atm for collecting emails, and recieves calendar notes via email on it, which he can add to the calendar on the device, so would calendar updates be possible on the Blackberry too?
    ---------------------------------------
    The company is using a Small Business Server for Exchange (i think that's right) if that's any help.
    Ideally we're looking NOT to install any more software (the IT guys are very protective of their systems), but looking for email (Push not required, just regular checking) and recieving calendar updates (tasks/contacts too if poss?)

Last edited by se99jmk; 10-09-2007 at 02:15 PM.

audit no está en línea BES Guru
    PIN/ID
    ASK

Re: Blackberry with Exchange 2006?

I assume you mean Exchange 2007 since there is no Exchange 2006. IMHO I'd install the BES Express version since it's the cheapest. I have 8 of them running at my location and it's still cheaper then running the full BES.

When you have a BES, your BB's will have full sync of everything that's in Outlook. Memo's, Calender, Tasks, Contacts, E-Mail. I can't even begin to count the number of Windows Mobile people I've converted over to BB's.
    audit
    -
    Want to be the one of first people to know about RIM outages? Visit http://www.dataoutages.com

se99jmk no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    204E3A57

hi Audit, thanks for your response.
    Turns out I'm a div so have edited the above post: it's Exchange 2003

I've heard that calendar can be synched (or at least get updates to the blackberry) when using the Orange service, through their BIS. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks

audit no está en línea BES Guru
    PIN/ID
    ASK

The ONLY way the calender can be sync'ed OTA is when it's on a BES server.
    audit
    -
    Want to be the one of first people to know about RIM outages? Visit http://www.dataoutages.com