Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi Everyone, I was wondering if you could give me your advice. I was wondering ... General Blackberry forum

khernden69 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2488ED4C

Blackberry Vs. Windows Based Smartphone

Advertisement

Hi Everyone,
    I was wondering if you could give me your advice. I was wondering if I should keep my Blackberry or go with a windows based smartphone.

The reason why I am asking is because I love my Blackberry but it is just so expensive to keep the internet on my phone. With a windows based smartphone, I can get the interet at a cheaper rate.

Please let me know what you think. I really appreciate all your help.

Sam1972 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I am not sure where you are, but th Blackberry can work with a "generic" data plan. There are a number of posts from John Clark and Mark Rejhon on blackberryforums.com discussing how to do this - and I just made the switch and it works great. I now use Rogers (Canada) $7 unlimited data plan - along with my voice plan.

You will sacrifice some of the BB specific features - read the posts and try it out - works great. You need to have Opera Mini (browsing), and I use gmail for email, so I downloaded GMAIL Mobile.

I had a Windows Smartphone - Palm 700WX and switched it after 1 year to the BB Pearl - you know what, the Palm had advantages - touch screen, Word & Excel etc - but when you use the BB - it has no comparison - the BB is a much better phone - better reception etc.

Good Luck.

Don LuiG no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask
    well like they say you get what pay for but, when it comes to quality on phone you can't beat the BB

Naylor07 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241ECE99
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I had a windows mobile phone in between several blackberries. The big advantage of WM is the software development, but enjoy your phone crashing and freezing 3 times a day!

PIN/ID
    LESS
    Haha I have the tilt and love it. I have not experienced one crash as of yet..Sometimes its all in the user and not the device...I still carry both the TILT and the 8310.. Love them both

PIN/ID
    241ECE99
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I also owned the tilt and found it to be very sluggish.

PIN/ID
    LESS
    see all owner ryan lol

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    You're probably not gonna get an unbias opinion here as almost everyone here uses a BlackBerry device... But I'll try.

Now rather than writing a novel comparing the two, I'll just highlight sonme of the most obvious benefits between the two.

Windows Mobile:
    • THOUSANDS of third-party applications, for almost any purpose you can name.
    • Seamless, native synchronization with Microsoft Outlook.
    • Microsoft Office Mobile is included, offering (roughly) 85-90% of the functionality found in the desktop equivalent.
    • Native support for most of Microsoft's multimedia formats; third-party support for virtually all multimedia formats.
    • Native support for HTML-encoded e-mail messages.

BlackBerry OS:
    • Significantly more secure out-of-the-box.
    • Devices are generally smaller in size.
    • Usage times are far longer than even the best Windows Mobile devices.
    • "Push"-like e-mail functionality WITHOUT any enterprise solution being required.

Debatable differences:
    • The default Internet browser is superior to one or the other.
    • BlackBerry's user interface is easier to use than that found in Windows Mobile.
    • The keyboard is better on one or the other.

I own both and to be honest, the way I look at the two is like this - Windows Mobile is more of a "toy" or entertainment operating system, whilst BlackBerry is the "workhorse"...

Unlike Windows Mobile, BlackBerry OS only does a few things, but they do them near-perfect.

Windows Mobile on the other hand, is "a jack-of-all-trades and a master-of-none".

~ Posted wirelessly from my BlackBerry 8800 (http://wap.pinstack.com) ~

PIN/ID
    241ECE99
    I mean the only thing I can speak to is the Tilt as it is the only WM phone I have owned and will probably be my only.

The reason I did love the WM was the software was everywhere! But a lot of it did cost. Plus the hacking and development was insane (www.xda-developers.com). So you can make your WM phone do some crazy cool stuff, but I feel that you lose some dependability with all of third party software and untrusted development.

Some WM phones I am sure are great, many of them have great designs! And from what I have been hearing you can run Googles Operating system on top of WM!

Plus I loved the 3g on my Tilt, even though it only worked when I travelled since AT&T is slow to drop 3g (even though it was suppose to be in my area a year ago!)

PIN/ID
    241ECE99
    And you are right RSC I have a problem to commitment with phones, I think I should just be the official Pinstack phone tester!

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    I had a windows mobile smartphone and it was like having a laptop which was a lot slower and cluttered if you ask me.

if you dont want to pay for internet at all you can get a BB that has Wi-Fi
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    [FONT=Verdana]Just me personally, but I work for a Carrier, when I first came to this Dept a few years ago, I had never seen a BB in person, I didn't think i would like one form the Pictures I had seen, So I was set to get a Treo or a Ipaq. Once I got in to training and got to actually work with all the devices, I got a 7100 BB, and never looked back or regretted it. After all this time working in this department I have grown to detest the WIndows mobile devices. But again that is my take on it. [/FONT]
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

Don LuiG no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by CybaCowboy View Post
    You're probably not gonna get an unbias opinion here as almost everyone here uses a BlackBerry device... But I'll try.

Now rather than writing a novel comparing the two, I'll just highlight sonme of the most obvious benefits between the two.

Windows Mobile:
    • THOUSANDS of third-party applications, for almost any purpose you can name.
    • Seamless, native synchronization with Microsoft Outlook.
    • Microsoft Office Mobile is included, offering (roughly) 85-90% of the functionality found in the desktop equivalent.
    • Native support for most of Microsoft's multimedia formats; third-party support for virtually all multimedia formats.
    • Native support for HTML-encoded e-mail messages.

BlackBerry OS:
    • Significantly more secure out-of-the-box.
    • Devices are generally smaller in size.
    • Usage times are far longer than even the best Windows Mobile devices.
    • "Push"-like e-mail functionality WITHOUT any enterprise solution being required.

Debatable differences:
    • The default Internet browser is superior to one or the other.
    • BlackBerry's user interface is easier to use than that found in Windows Mobile.
    • The keyboard is better on one or the other.

I own both and to be honest, the way I look at the two is like this - Windows Mobile is more of a "toy" or entertainment operating system, whilst BlackBerry is the "workhorse"...

Unlike Windows Mobile, BlackBerry OS only does a few things, but they do them near-perfect.

Windows Mobile on the other hand, is "a jack-of-all-trades and a master-of-none".

~ Posted wirelessly from my BlackBerry 8800 (http://wap.pinstack.com) ~
    gotts say you did well on this review..

salbo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31884ae9
    The only wm device I like us the tilt....and the shadow. But I only like it for mobile office. Other than that its a lame phone~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    241ECE99
    Mobile Office was nice, I have never used e-office for the blackberry so I can't really compare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast