Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You said it li2327!!!!!!... General Blackberry forum

moses2628 no está en línea Stack level 6

Re: Blackberry vs. Dash

Advertisement

You said it li2327!!!!!!

i8aborg no está en línea Stack level 1

I recently decided to switch to the dash from the pearl due to my frustrations with the pearl. I found a few things about the pearl that really annoyed me so I decided to take t-mobile up on there 3 returns in 3 months offer, switch. This is what I have discovered.

Reasons I was annoyed with my pearl:
    1. there is about a 5 second delay when answering a call without the bluetooth headset before the party on the other end can hear you. I felt like a jackass whenever I did not have my bluetooth headset in, having to say hello 10 times before the other party can hear me.
    2. I thought it is was really obnoxious that if you want to take a Word or Exel document with you on your BB, You have to mail it to yourself.
    3. Keyboard sucks. I know there are people that love it and are going to say “works great for me” but when you work in an industry like mine and make as many e-mails on the go as I do answering clients questions, it becomes crippling not having a full keyboard. For example, I am frequently using abbreviations and uncommon words that the BB does not know, Forcing me to stop typing or even back up my text to select the correct letters. Very annoying.
    4. With the new software update, BB has disabled the ability to silence the ringer on an incoming call. While I do understand them disabling the annoying touch the pearl to silence the ringer feature, they could have at least left it so you can hit the volume button like most other phones on the market today. By them disabling this feature you are now forced to make a horrible decision, either listen to your phone ring until voice mail picks up, hope you have a lovely ring tone, Or out right reject the call, which of course lets the other person know, Hey Im next to my phone right now, but just don't want to talk to YOU. And of course this always invites the persistent ones that realize what you did to keep calling back until you pick up. Very obnoxious. Bad move Research In Motion.

That all being said, when I made my third warranty exchange with t-mobile for unrelated issues, bad luck, not product flaws, They offered me the option to exchange the pearl for the dash. I though about it and liked the idea of having a keyboard again, and since they do not offer the 8700 as an alternate, I gave it the green light.

After receiving the dash, this is the conclusion I have come to, this phone is full of more trouble and bugs than a Baltimore crack house.

1. this Piece of technological garbage locked up on me, count them, 9 times the first day, making me do the old pull the battery trick. That right there was enough to make me want to throw this phone into oncoming traffic, and I would have if I didn't need it to send back to t-mobile so i could keep the pearl. Oh, BTW, the reason I got from t-mobiles tech department that this was happening is that the phone apparently has no way to clear its own cache, so browsing the Internet and running programs makes it continue to allocate memory to cache until it has non and then, ta dah, it locks up. The way to avoid this is to stop what you are doing and manually clear the cache from time to time. How F***ING stupid.
    2. The user interface is cumbersome and there is a huge lag when switching from program to program
    3. This is big, No cut and paste, None.
    4. I found this one out the hard way, this piece of crap wont let you switch from bluetooth headset to handset while in call, WHAT!!!! thats right your menu option when using the bluetooth headset is speakerphone, and back to headset. Nice.
    5. When viewing web pages, the dash has no method for jumping through the website like the blackberrys all the way to the top or bottom and page by page. So what this means is that if you are viewing a particularly long page, as I frequently do, News sites for example, instead of having the ability to breeze through page by page quickly and then jump all the way back up to the top, you are forced to scroll line by f***ing line all the way down, and all the way back up. Hope your not in a rush. Oh and if you find a link or something you wish to cut and paste into a memo for instance, forget it, NO CUT AND PASTE.
    6. Keyboard keys are impossibly small to type, and I have small hands. I spent almost as much time correcting errors from hitting two keys at once as I did muttling through suretype, so that one is a wash for me.
    7. The back button on the dash is crap. When you are in the mail program if you hit back trying to go to the previous folder you where viewing, it takes you to the main screen. To go back to a previews folder you must go into menu and the folder selection screen. Very amateurish.

These are just a few of the things I have found in the 3 days I spent with the dash. That was all I needed. I felt like I just got a visit from that annoying cousin that after a few hours you just cant take anymore and have to say “listen, its been a pleasure, thanks for stopping by, and have a nice trip home”. I have since boxed it back up and send it back to t-mobile, after calling them and telling them that the dash, not the pearl, is on its way back.

I suppose the dash would be an OK phone for someone that has never had a smartphone before and does not have high expectations on performance, convenience, and a friendly user interface. But for me, I now feel like the disloyal partner having to apologize and beg my pearl for forgiveness with promises to never cheat again if it will just forgive me.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by i8aborg
    I recently decided to switch to the dash from the pearl due to my frustrations with the pearl. I found a few things about the pearl that really annoyed me so I decided to take t-mobile up on there 3 returns in 3 months offer, switch. This is what I have discovered.

Reasons I was annoyed with my pearl:
    1. there is about a 5 second delay when answering a call without the bluetooth headset before the party on the other end can hear you. I felt like a jackass whenever I did not have my bluetooth headset in, having to say hello 10 times before the other party can hear me.
    2. I thought it is was really obnoxious that if you want to take a Word or Exel document with you on your BB, You have to mail it to yourself.
    3. Keyboard sucks. I know there are people that love it and are going to say “works great for me” but when you work in an industry like mine and make as many e-mails on the go as I do answering clients questions, it becomes crippling not having a full keyboard. For example, I am frequently using abbreviations and uncommon words that the BB does not know, Forcing me to stop typing or even back up my text to select the correct letters. Very annoying.
    4. With the new software update, BB has disabled the ability to silence the ringer on an incoming call. While I do understand them disabling the annoying touch the pearl to silence the ringer feature, they could have at least left it so you can hit the volume button like most other phones on the market today. By them disabling this feature you are now forced to make a horrible decision, either listen to your phone ring until voice mail picks up, hope you have a lovely ring tone, Or out right reject the call, which of course lets the other person know, Hey Im next to my phone right now, but just don't want to talk to YOU. And of course this always invites the persistent ones that realize what you did to keep calling back until you pick up. Very obnoxious. Bad move Research In Motion.

That all being said, when I made my third warranty exchange with t-mobile for unrelated issues, bad luck, not product flaws, They offered me the option to exchange the pearl for the dash. I though about it and liked the idea of having a keyboard again, and since they do not offer the 8700 as an alternate, I gave it the green light.

After receiving the dash, this is the conclusion I have come to, this phone is full of more trouble and bugs than a Baltimore crack house.

1. this Piece of technological garbage locked up on me, count them, 9 times the first day, making me do the old pull the battery trick. That right there was enough to make me want to throw this phone into oncoming traffic, and I would have if I didn't need it to send back to t-mobile so i could keep the pearl. Oh, BTW, the reason I got from t-mobiles tech department that this was happening is that the phone apparently has no way to clear its own cache, so browsing the Internet and running programs makes it continue to allocate memory to cache until it has non and then, ta dah, it locks up. The way to avoid this is to stop what you are doing and manually clear the cache from time to time. How F***ING stupid.
    2. The user interface is cumbersome and there is a huge lag when switching from program to program
    3. This is big, No cut and paste, None.
    4. I found this one out the hard way, this piece of crap wont let you switch from bluetooth headset to handset while in call, WHAT!!!! thats right your menu option when using the bluetooth headset is speakerphone, and back to headset. Nice.
    5. When viewing web pages, the dash has no method for jumping through the website like the blackberrys all the way to the top or bottom and page by page. So what this means is that if you are viewing a particularly long page, as I frequently do, News sites for example, instead of having the ability to breeze through page by page quickly and then jump all the way back up to the top, you are forced to scroll line by f***ing line all the way down, and all the way back up. Hope your not in a rush. Oh and if you find a link or something you wish to cut and paste into a memo for instance, forget it, NO CUT AND PASTE.
    6. Keyboard keys are impossibly small to type, and I have small hands. I spent almost as much time correcting errors from hitting two keys at once as I did muttling through suretype, so that one is a wash for me.
    7. The back button on the dash is crap. When you are in the mail program if you hit back trying to go to the previous folder you where viewing, it takes you to the main screen. To go back to a previews folder you must go into menu and the folder selection screen. Very amateurish.

These are just a few of the things I have found in the 3 days I spent with the dash. That was all I needed. I felt like I just got a visit from that annoying cousin that after a few hours you just cant take anymore and have to say “listen, its been a pleasure, thanks for stopping by, and have a nice trip home”. I have since boxed it back up and send it back to t-mobile, after calling them and telling them that the dash, not the pearl, is on its way back.

I suppose the dash would be an OK phone for someone that has never had a smartphone before and does not have high expectations on performance, convenience, and a friendly user interface. But for me, I now feel like the disloyal partner having to apologize and beg my pearl for forgiveness with promises to never cheat again if it will just forgive me.
    I can answer a few of those for you. Sorry you had problems with both phones but the BB is the better device.

Pearl
    #1) I have answered calls with a Bluetooth headset, the stock wired headset, and no headset. No delay.
    #2) Try eWorks. Forgot the link so you will have to search for it.
    #3) I had problems with this and I send more emails on the BB than I do the PC. It just takes about a week to get past the cramping. Also try some finger exercises.
    #4) I have the latest OS on my Pearl and can still silence a ring. It's done thru the Sound Profiles>Phone>Silent.

Dash
    #1) Windows Mobile does that. Sorry.
    #2) My WM devices didn't lag. They crashed outright when I dropped them one time.
    #3) I never had to do that so I don't know much about it.
    #4) Never tried that either.
    #5) That's what the 4 way directional pad is for. It looks like it can scroll down.
    6) Keys are the same on the Pearl also.

i8aborg no está en línea Stack level 1

Sorry if my Post seemed like I was asking questions rather that making statements based on my personal experience. Without question, I believe the pearl to be a far superior device to the Dash. Hence my comment “I suppose the dash would be an OK phone for someone that has never had a smartphone before and does not have high expectations on performance, convenience, and a friendly user interface.

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    #1) I have answered calls with a Bluetooth headset, the stock wired headset, and no headset. No delay.

T-Mobiles BB tech support told me when I called to ask about the problem I had been experiencing that it is a “known problem with the phone”. I even had a conversation with a rep at my local T-mobile store, who also has a pearl, about this problem that he experiences as well. In fact, turn off your bluetooth headset, have a friend call, and the moment you hit answer, start counting. Ask your friend on the other side what is the first number he hears. Perhaps you have simply not noticed, but because I use this phone for business and answer a certain way, It has become a particular nuisance to me. Or maybe you got lucky and I didn't, in that case, want to trade? If not, ill just lean on my Bluetooth headset a little more.

#2) Try eWorks. Forgot the link so you will have to search for it.

I think you may be mistaken, eWorks is an E-Mail program that replicates Outlook. The program that would allow you to view Excel, and Word documents without having to mail them to yourself is eOffice, and it is priced at a ridiculous ---->$119.00<--- .Yah,OK, because the $250.00 plus shipping I spent on the phone was not enough. If you do decide to send these nazis that kind of money for such a basic program, just google dynoplex eoffice

For a “business phone”, this should be a basic INCLUDED function, without the extra $119.00 charge, thats just my opinion.

#3) I had problems with this and I send more emails on the BB than I do the PC. It just takes about a week to get past the cramping. Also try some finger exercises.

Then you understand what Im talking about. don't get me wrong, I have learned to adapt, and I know that RIM has done a great job with suretype considering the size restrictions they were working with to create the form factor of the pearl we all enjoy today. I was just stating it as a misguided reason for my attraction to the full keyboard of the dash. Besides, my fingers get Olympian portions of exercise each and every day.

#4) I have the latest OS on my Pearl and can still silence a ring. It's done thru the Sound Profiles>Phone>Silent.

Think about what Im talking about, silencing the ring of an incoming call once you have looked at the caller ID, and said to yourself, “I really don't want to talk to him right now”, without having to reject it by hitting the red end call button and let the other guy know that I just rejected his call. That is different form what you are saying, making your phone not ring at all.

The original pearl OS use to have this feature, you moved the trackball when a call was incoming to achieve it. The problem was that if you had the phone in your pocket, the movement of the trackball would silence incoming calls, to often unintentionally. That is why the OS update disabled that feature. Most other phones on the market today, including the cheap and free ones have this feature, you simply push volume up or down to activate it. Hopefully in the next OS update they will reactivate it on the volume keys of the pearl.

6) Keys are the same on the Pearl also.

Sorry, no offense, but that is absolutely incorrect. The keys on the pearl are ruffly twice as wide as the keys on the dash. In fact, I took a picture of the dash laying on top of my pearl to send to my friend before I shipped the dash back to T-Mobile, to illustrate this exact point to him.

i153.photobucket.com/ albums/ s204/ i8aborg/ Image016.jpg
    Take the spaces that i put behind the forward slashes out to see the picture

So if you think the pearl keys are small, cut them in half and presto, you have a dash key.

#5) That's what the 4 way directional pad is for. It looks like it can scroll down.

Exactly what I said, you can scroll down..............and down..............and down..............and down, one line at a time. If you are familiar with the browser shortcuts of the pearl, and Im sure you are, you understand that you can scroll PAGE BY PAGE with the 3 and 9 keys, and even jump all the way to the bottom with a push of the 7 key and all the way to the top with a push of the 1 key. These types of shortcuts do not exist on the dash. May not bother some, but it did me.

#1) Windows Mobile does that. Sorry.

Im sorry too. For the dash to be a $200 smartphone, and I use that term loosely, It sucks on ice. I have had the pearl since the second day it was released, it has never crashed on me once. It acted squirrelly with the javalang issues on the original OS, but the Update has completely eliminated that.

For the few problems that the pearl does have, it is a well rounded, easy to navigate powerhouse of a device that I would be lost without. Believe me, I will not be considering giving it up again anytime soon.

tkgeekwill no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23F5F200

This reply may be a little late, but I have had the Dash for the best part of a week, and I must say, I am ready to throw the frickin thing into a lake. I will start out with the good parts of this handset....

Pro's

1) QWERTY
    2) Comm Manager is a sweet feature.
    3) Widescreen is nice for watching video/ viewing pictures.

Con's

1) It's Windows, no mattery how many times it is upgraded, it will still suck. I have to reboot this thing numerous times. I know there will be an upgrade to WM6, but I don't think it will get any better.
    2) Camera isn't that great for 1.3MP, there is no flash.
    3) No office software. Just viewers
    4) Slow processor, cannot run Skype.
    5) Virtually useless Wi-Fi
    6) Mobile IE sucks.
    7) Lag when answering calls using headset.
    8) Speaker is too quiet.
    9) No noise cancellation in microphone.
    10) Volume bar is horrible. Try using this phone in your left hand, or try changing the handset volume while in a call.
    11) Gmail does not work well with mobile outlook. Must use Gmail applet.
    12) Proprietary headset jack.
    13) Having to constantly go and close programs or reboot.

I could go on, but I doubt you want to see the whole list.

I bought my Dash at the same time as I bought my Wife a pearl. After man handling both, and owning a 7105t, the Pearl wins. The main reasons why I went with the dash were Wi-Fi, A2DP support, and the Qwerty keyboard. But, the headache is not worth it. Im taking this thing back tonight and getting a Pearl.

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me

hands down blackberry. ive used the dash.. want to talk about frezing up constantly.... not a good phone in my opinion

masq no está en línea Stack level 1

the dash reminds me of a child's toy due to its flimsy construction. the keys are way too small for any guy that has larger hands.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12