I currently own a T/E. I use it ALOT at work for reference as I ... General Blackberry forum

lorraineg57 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Blackberry selection help please?

Advertisement

I currently own a T/E. I use it ALOT at work for reference as I work in a doctor's office.

I'm looking to upgrade soon and I'm having a hard time finding something with

a)built-in keyboard (a must as I spend a good bit of time searching reference material)

b)wi-fi

c)touch-screen preferably...I hate using a stylus and rarely do. I have small fingers and can forego the stylus

I really like the looks of the blackberry. My apprehension lies in the lack of third-party software working on it...(like I said, lots of medical software on mine). I also do use the DTG on the T/E so I don't know if there's something comparable on the Blackberry?

I really don't need a phone as I have a cell I can survive with.

Also would I HAVE to subscribe to their internet service? I really only care about being able to connect at hot spots and at home.

TIA,
    Lorraine

webdave no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Blackberry selection help please?

Current BlackBerry models do not have WiFi or touch screens. The upcoming models will have WiFi but I don't see a touch screen model coming any time soon.

Coming from Windows Mobile and Palm I can say the 3rd party software is lacking. However the stability of the phone and ease of use makes up for it.

You will have to spend some time yourself to see if the software you need is available on the BlackBerry. Hanango.com has a large selection of available BlackBerry applications.

Lastly, you don't need to subscribe to data service to use the device. You can still sync your PIM data over USB or Bluetooth. But in my opinion there is no point in getting a BB if you are not using the push data service.
    Last edited by webdave; 04-10-2007 at 05:07 PM.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Hi and welcome to pinstack lloraineg57. Let us know if you have any other questions.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

If WiFi, a touch screen, and the medical software are must-have's then you might want to consider another platform. Blackberries don't have either of the former two and you'd need to confirm that the medical software that you need/want is available for the BB.

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F

I'm not sure what software you are running but I do use Mobipocketreader and have things such as Tabers, Davis's Drug Guide, and multiple Clinical Medicine Consult books on it. As others have said, BB does not have wifi....yet. You may want to wait for some new nodels to come out this summer to see what innovations are in the works.

Einherjer no está en línea Stack level 5

Wait for the 8300!

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer
    Wait for the 8300!
    Maybe. Maybe not.