In a couple of months I'm going to be moving to Tokyo to start my ... General Blackberry forum

Orochi no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Blackberry recommendation for use in Japan

Advertisement

In a couple of months I'm going to be moving to Tokyo to start my undergraduate studies and have been looking into college-shopping and what not to prepare for my transition. Albeit, instead of simply just purchasing one of those nifty Japanese phones I want to settle with Blackberry. So far I've looked into either the Bold or the Javelin, but basing on its networks it seems that the Bold is most convenient to use in Japan. Is GSM is supported in Japan?

Any recommendations are appreciated; thanks--!
    Last edited by Orochi; 07-18-2009 at 09:32 PM.

adam917 no está en línea Stack level 3
    The Bold, Storm (any version), Tour, or 8707 (very old unit though) will all work in Japan as they have the 2100 MHz UMTS band. They do not have GSM (2G), just UMTS (3G). Many other non-BlackBerry phones made these days have that band, but only a few BlackBerrys because they adopted 3G late. Just hope that at least one of the two UMTS operators have BIS and that they don't have trouble giving it to you (Japan is similar to the US market in that manufacturers are controlled by the operators).

lacroixn no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    27FFB707
    Quote Originally Posted by Orochi View Post
    In a couple of months I'm going to be moving to Tokyo to start my undergraduate studies and have been looking into college-shopping and what not to prepare for my transition. Albeit, instead of simply just purchasing one of those nifty Japanese phones I want to settle with Blackberry. So far I've looked into either the Bold or the Javelin, but basing on its networks it seems that the Bold is most convenient to use in Japan. Is GSM is supported in Japan?

Any recommendations are appreciated; thanks--!
    My son just got posted there he says calls to the states are very expensive. I would do some research into magic jack, as well as chosing a suitable phone.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90
    Bold, Storm and Tour are the only US models that will work in Japan.
    Prior to the Bold's introduction, Japan only had the one model 8707, which is locked to NTT/DoCoMo. 8707 and 9000(Bold) Models from 3 or Hutchison in Hong Kong will work there and are unlocked, so you could put in a SIM from another carrier.

As lacroixn mentions though, the roaming charges for calls from Japan are really exorbitant.
    It doesn't record video. Get over it.