Tonight while working through my dad's new Verizon XV6800 (HTC Mogul), I came across this ... General Blackberry forum

Xyxyll no está en línea Stack level 2

Lightbulb BlackBerry "Pass-Through" Internet

Advertisement

Tonight while working through my dad's new Verizon XV6800 (HTC Mogul), I came across this interesting feature of Windows Mobile devices (using ActiveSync with computer), which allows a user to access the internet on the phone "through" the computer's internet connection. In essence, this feature is Wifi with a shorter leash (Bluetooth range). I immediately had to know whether there was a BlackBerry version of this feature. I did my searching and discovered that while users had placed interest and inquired (both on the forums and off), the rather disgusting response from everyone else was simply "use the search... no." Nowhere was there any legitimate discussion as to whether or not this is even feasible to develop.

Now, lets look at what we have here. We already know that a computer can tether to a BlackBerry as a modem... both through USB and Bluetooth. We also know that a computer can receive internet feeds directly through the phone's normal internet without tethering (Mobishark's SharkModem application). With this kind of connectivity already in place, it seems logical that an application, if not already available, could be developed to place broadband internet in the hands of any BlackBerry.

Your thoughts?

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

Re: BlackBerry "Pass-Through" Internet

my thoughts? by a wifi enabled blackberry. that what i did..

Xyxyll no está en línea Stack level 2

Please don't take any offense to this, but if we keep that mentality, then we'll never have any control over what we are offered as consumers, and companies like RIM will never have any real feedback on "what consumers really want." My discussion here is not intended to be based on what phone features are currently available, but what instead could be available, whether from RIM or from a private developer.

Plus, Verizon Wireless does not offer any Wifi-enabled phones.

scottjb no está en línea Stack level 2

I don't believe that "pass-through" feature is available for BB. It appears to be a feature of Active Sync, which would prevent BB from taking advantage of it.