Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Here's some more information on the newly announced Nokia flagship device, per IW. This is, ... General Blackberry forum

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7

Advertisement

Here's some more information on the newly announced Nokia flagship device, per IW. This is, of course, the form factor Magnum is to assume...

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...PSKHSCJUNN2JVN
    Last edited by Berryadict; 12-03-2008 at 03:31 PM.

jogon no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249E146A
    and just when my ATT contract expires....sweet!!!!!
    Pin 249E146A-Bold 4.6.0.167
    Curve 4.5.0.55
    Curve 4.5.0.34

"Orbis non sufficit"

k0pper no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindararith View Post
    Yeah let's hope this come to T-Mobile first!
    Lets hope tmo gets any of the new Blackberries at all sometime before they're irrelevant. I thought about getting an 8220 since my Tmo contract is up, but it just didnt seem robust enough for me.

I'm debating upgrading to the 8320 from my 8300 or just waiting to renew until tmo gets the Bold or Storm...hmmm decisions.
    8300 running 4.5.0.81 on T-Mo

Hack173 no está en línea banned
    PIN/ID
    249E4D70
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindararith View Post
    Yeah let's hope this come to T-Mobile first!
    AMEN!

ocanyc no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by grymtyrant@msn. View Post
    Garbage I say! Those slide phones feel cheap.
    I'll have to agree, and it aint no BB. BB users will try it and once again come right back to the BB

boob_1029 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32C73EFE
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Sweeeeeeet

penk no está en línea Stack level 3
    finally! i think we've all been waithing for a follow-up to Blue Steel.

KaraBear no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Berryadict View Post
    Here's some more information on the newly announced Nokia flagship device, per IW. This is, of course, the form factor Magnum is to assume...

I'm sorry to disappoint, but the device you are speaking of will look nothing like the one in the links you provided.

tensionline no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204D217F
    We need a Storm version with a trackball as well as the touch screen similar to the G1. That's what we need.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    You could argue the current Storm build is a working beta building up to that new BB device. It would be neat to have the Bold & Storm combined into one great phone. We will have to watch how this one develops.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Being in the market to upgrade, I've been playing with a lot of devices lately and have come to an interesting realization. Now this is just my opinion, but anyway...

Touch screen devices are cool. But only if the touch screen is large enough to have decently sized buttons. I hate to say it, but the iPhone does this well. The Storm is marginal from my experience.

Having a touch screen device where you have to stop what you are doing and switch to a keyboard is somewhat awkward. Having to slide out the keyboard compounds the problem and makes this operation take even longer. The HTC Fuze is a good example of a device where this concept fails for me. You can do only so much on the front touch screen. You can view your e-mail, read the e-mail and then try to reply. But at this point, you have to rotate the phone, slide out the keyboard and then start typing. Not good.

Even if the device has a full keyboard with a touch screen all on the front of the device, two problems come into play. Think about the Palm devices. First of all, the touch screen is small enough that you really have to use the stylus to do certain tasks as the buttons are too small. Secondly, I dislike having to switch from tapping the screen to typing.

At the end of the day, I think the problem comes down to overall size. No one wants a huge phone. To get a screen large enough that the touch screen functionality works well means that there is no room for a physical keyboard unless it's a slide out or the like. Having a full keyboard on the front of a device where it's really convenient and fully functional means that the screen has to be so small that there is no point to a touch screen.

Finally, anytime you have slide out keyboards (or similar) you have flat keys with no / poor tactile feedback in my opinion. The BB keyboards work so well because they have actual keys that stick up and you can feel the differences. That hasn't been done in a slide out design yet.

Anyway, my take is that I wouldn't want a hybrid device with a touch screen and physical keyboard. And since I don't really find the current touch screen keyboards sufficient for my messaging needs, I would rather just stick to a non-touch screen device.

But to each their own!
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

HughJass no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2443424B
    must acquire when avaliable in canada... can't wait for it!!! BEST. BB. EVER.
    "Gravity is a cruel mistress!" - the Tick
    PIN: 2443424B

HughJass no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2443424B
    Quote Originally Posted by penk View Post
    finally! i think we've all been waithing for a follow-up to Blue Steel.

LMAO! bad, but still funny... wonder how many other ppl got the joke....???
    "Gravity is a cruel mistress!" - the Tick
    PIN: 2443424B

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    I understand how some people feel about the sliding keyboard. The only
    Option is to make the phone a little bigger or do away with all the
    Open space on the phone "I.e where the carrier logo is etched. If the
    keys are the same size as the Plam treo; that will be a big turnoff.
    The buttons are to small

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwood0 View Post
    At the end of the day, I think the problem comes down to overall size. No one wants a huge phone. To get a screen large enough that the touch screen functionality works well means that there is no room for a physical keyboard unless it's a slide out or the like. Having a full keyboard on the front of a device where it's really convenient and fully functional means that the screen has to be so small that there is no point to a touch screen.

Finally, anytime you have slide out keyboards (or similar) you have flat keys with no / poor tactile feedback in my opinion. The BB keyboards work so well because they have actual keys that stick up and you can feel the differences. That hasn't been done in a slide out design yet.

Anyway, my take is that I wouldn't want a hybrid device with a touch screen and physical keyboard. And since I don't really find the current touch screen keyboards sufficient for my messaging needs, I would rather just stick to a non-touch screen device.

But to each their own!
    Excellent post, calling to our attention just what it is that differentiates these two form factors and input methods.

The compelling nature of all the buzz surrounding the touchscreen interface, has caused me to go from a distinct lack of desire, to a level of curiosity and willingness to at least give them a try. Thus I purchased the first iPhone, then the second generation iPhone 3G, and now the Storm. I am not going to go into an in depth debate about these two, or which is superior, as they are still quite different.

What I have learned through personal experience is what it's like to actually own, use, and live with each of these. A priceless experience for someone like me that has a burning desire for all things tech. Especially mobile communications and computing.

You have summed it up quite nicely, and I've reached the very same conclusion. Speaking for myself only, and what works for my personal and professional needs, there is no substitute for a keyboard and a nice display. The form factor of the current Bold is ideal.

The improvement that the Bold deserves and one that would make it complete is an excellent browser. One which performs up to the same standard as the rest of the phone. A browser which will provide me with the same or better experience than that of the 83xx & 88xx series of BlackBerrys. If RIM gets serious and provides that in an OS update, the Bold would then be the best of the best in this writers opinion.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast