does any one know about using a blackberry in iraq i read a thread on ... General Blackberry forum

gr8ride101 no está en línea Stack level 1

blackberry in IRAQ

Advertisement

does any one know about using a blackberry in iraq i read a thread on here and some people said if you get them on the same contract and some international $20 fee you can email each other im not trying to talk just email. i have no idea about blackberrys or this can anyone help?

iMacj no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3070F784

Re: blackberry in IRAQ

BB's like any other cell phone need to be on a plan with a cell phone provider. I do think it is possible to buy a 'data only plan' , since you mentioned not making calls. If you get an unlimited BB email account you should be able to email or send PIN messages to any other BB in the world. However, you still need a service provider and if you get one that is not local to where you are using it, there is usually a small charge per KB of transmitted and received messages.

For instance, it costs me $20 in addition to my monthly cell plan to add unlimited BB service. I can send and receive an unlimited number of emails and PIN messages. When I go outside the country it usually costs about 2 cents/KB.

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

The real question here is what carrier provides service in Iraq, BB or otherwise? My guess is if it a US carrier providing service to the government, it is locked down tight with only specific devices allowed on. I am sure there is a local carrier of some type, but gettign the info you need could be difficult.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

I know that T-Mobile has an international unlimited email add-on for $19 or $29 per month (not sure which one, sorry).

PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Quote Originally Posted by ljbyar
    I know that T-Mobile has an international unlimited email add-on for $19 or $29 per month (not sure which one, sorry).
    Won't do you any good if you can't get on their network.

sgtgarcia no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    If I were going, again, I would ask your unit IM personnel about what the command team has available for BB. But again you must rate at a level where they even consider you worthy of BB service, like platoon SGT or 1SG etc.Otherwise I advise my soldiers to take their laptops, nothing like voip , instant messenger, and webcams to keep the family happy!!!

gr8ride101 no está en línea Stack level 1

yea thats good i just heard that cingular had a plan and i would just have to add the 20 dollar fee and would get unlimeted mail. plus im a contractor not military this time thanks to all

manapuaman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f011d6

I think Cingular has an international BB plan for like $70 or $80 per month. T-Mobile is also GSM and probably has something too.

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~a friend of mine who is stationed in iraq had to buy a iridium satellite phone. When he has his 8700 via t-mo. He had full signal but the phone wouldn't dial out wouldn't receive calls. And data was dead. He's a photographer/filmographer for a news station. The satellite phone works good there but no data.

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53

Accourding to T-mobiles Coverage, there is no Data in Iraq, sorry folks.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

xtasyboi_00 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    PM

Are you getting deployed?

xtasyboi_00 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    PM

My bad, thought you were.. Anyway, if its Cingular, hope it won't be too much. Lol

redjim no está en línea Stack level 1

I have blackberry international unlimited with cingular. I love it. I'm actually travelling in Mexico as I write this.

PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

People one of us is missing the point here. So what if you have aninternational plan. If there is no cell carrier or service or BB data, then what good is an international plan????

The OP was askign about BB coverage in Iraq and all everyone seemed to want to say is they had an international plan.

No one answered the question - is there service in Iraq for what I assume would be non-military/non-government people.

snoweey no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f389df

According to the details link on this page there is Data avliable in Iraq. http://www.cingular.com/learn/intern...al-roaming.jsp