Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm getting ready to purchase my first BB, an 8830 through Verizon (my current carrier) ... General Blackberry forum

dhedrick no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31A6595F

Blackberry Enterprise Question

Advertisement

I'm getting ready to purchase my first BB, an 8830 through Verizon (my current carrier)

I assume that my office uses BES, since there are many people at work who get their work e-mails on their BBs, which if I understand correct isn't possible without BES. My question is, if I use Verizon as my carrier, and my company plans are all through AT&T, can I still access my work e-mail through that same BES? Is there anything that I need to have my IT department set up for me to use it, or can I simply go ahead and set up the e-mail?

Any insight would be GREAT.

Thanks!

~ Dale

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I think as long as you subscribe to a BES plan you should be fine regardless of carrier.

Im not totally sure but you can ask in this forum to make sure -
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...isplay.php?f=9
    Last edited by macallik; 06-11-2008 at 10:40 PM.

pipewerkz no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20FA9856
    With AT&T there is a seperate plan for BES. The "blackberry personal" does not include BES.

Your IT staff will have to add you to the BES server and give you a password for you to activate your BB on their BES.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    31A6595F
    Does having my BB activated on their service have any negatives to it?

I have the ability to check my work e-mail via the web as well, so I could always check it via the browser if there are serious downsides to being activated on their BES - I don't want to impede my personal usage of my personal BB...

I would really like to push my work e-mail as well as Gmail though - it would make my life MUCH easier.

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by dhedrick View Post
    I'm getting ready to purchase my first BB, an 8830 through Verizon (my current carrier)

I assume that my office uses BES, since there are many people at work who get their work e-mails on their BBs, which if I understand correct isn't possible without BES.
    This isn't entirely true. You do not have to be on a BES just to receive company emails, unless they are running Groupwise or some Enterprise email service.

You can setup a personal or an office account (with approval if needed) through the BIS service.

Negatives: They can control every function & feature of your device and all text, email, call logs, etc are logged on the BES and they can access that information at their liesure.

So, I would first confirm if they are, in fact, on a BES and if it is necessary, or possible for your company to allow you to activate a personal BB on a company BES.

You can also request from your service provider, if you have them activate the BES service on your device, to leave your BIS service on as well. This will allow you to keep your Gmail forwarding to your device.
    Last edited by KalebsDad78; 06-11-2008 at 11:01 PM.
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

PIN/ID
    31A6595F
    Thanks for the info - from the sounds of it, what I would really prefer would just be to set up my corporate e-mail over BIS, since all I really want to do is send/receive my e-mails - I don't need the updated status, etc. that BES offers, and I certainly DON'T want my company to be able to monitor & control every aspect of my device. I think that I can still sync to my personal Outlook contacts & calendar without being on BES - is that correct? If so, that definitely sounds like the better option to me. I wasn't aware that there was a way to connect to corporate e-mails through BIS, otherwise I wouldn't have even considered BES a possibility.

Can anyone tell me how to go about setting up my company e-mail through BIS? I'm also going to need my Outlook calendar & contact list, but I'm assuming I'll be able to figure that out once I have the software installed (I hope...)

Thanks again!

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    You need to get your POP3 (incoming) & SMTP (outgoing) mail settings from your company. You also need to know if it's SSL and if so, what port #? You can find all of this information in Outlook under Account Settings and the Advanced windows.

You can sync your calendars & contacts through the Desktop Manager as you cannot receive these items wirelessly unless you are on a BES.

Once you have this info, login to our BIS and create a new email account and enter your information.

You can find out more information about the BIS from this guide: http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...=bbfaq#faq_bis
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by KalebsDad78 View Post
    You need to get your POP3 (incoming) & SMTP (outgoing) You can find all of this information in Outlook under Account Settings and the Advanced windows.
    That info won't be found there if they're using Exchange Servers. It's going to be a little more complicated than that. You'll need to contact your IT department to get that information.

PIN/ID
    31A6595F
    I contacted my IT department, and they said that we don't have POP3 or SMTP info since we're running an exchange server - am I asking for the right information, or am I just completely lost (that's how I feel...)

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by dhedrick View Post
    I contacted my IT department, and they said that we don't have POP3 or SMTP info since we're running an exchange server - am I asking for the right information, or am I just completely lost (that's how I feel...)

Thanks again!
    No, you're correct and asking the right questions and getting the right answers.

What you can have them do, if they are willing is to redirect your e-mails to your device in addition to Outlook. They did that for me at my last job. I don't think there's any other way, aside from going with BES, that you'll be able to sync up your device with Outlook. You won't get the calendar or other stuff this way, but at least you'll get your e-mails.

If you don't want to go through IT to do that, I have also set up a filter within Outlook to redirect e-mails to my BlackBerry e-mail address.

HKing1337 no está en línea Stack level 1
    It is possible to setup Exchange email through BIS, given they have Outlook WebAccess running and your account permissions allow the BB server into it.

Bear in mind, BIS is a "polling" type email delivery, so it can take 5-20 minutes to get your email and if you change your password you have to change it on the BB services page so it can login to your account.

Quote Originally Posted by HKing1337 View Post
    It is possible to setup Exchange email through BIS, given they have Outlook WebAccess running and your account permissions allow the BB server into it.

Bear in mind, BIS is a "polling" type email delivery, so it can take 5-20 minutes to get your email and if you change your password you have to change it on the BB services page so it can login to your account.
    Good point. I had forgotten about OWA and posted a link awhile back about how to set that up in BIS.

If need be, I'll find that again and post it for you.

PIN/ID
    LESS
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~hmm interesting I may just try this at work tomorrow.

PIN/ID
    31A6595F
    Thanks for all of the info - that last link looks like it might give me everything I need by using OWA, which is all I really want to be able to use anyway.

As for the polling deal, I don't mind if it takes 5-20 minutes - immediate would definitely be nice, but if I can avoid using BES, the delay will be worth it.

I'll let you know how everything goes once I actually GET my BB and try it.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast