I'm trying to install the Blackberry Desktop Manager software on my Dell Latitude D600 (running ... General Blackberry forum

aprileubanks no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23F53C85

Question Blackberry Desktop won't install

Advertisement

I'm trying to install the Blackberry Desktop Manager software on my Dell Latitude D600 (running XPsp2)

When I attempt to run the installer I get a cute little error:
    Desktop Software v4.2 SP2 (English).exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

When I click to see what information the error report contains here's what I see:
    AppName: desktop software v4.2 sp2 (english).exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: kernel32.dll
    ModVer: 5.1.2600.3119 Offset: 0004c10f

Anyone have any information??
    I've scoured the forums for something helpful and I've not found a bit of anything that's worked.

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Re: Blackberry Desktop won't install

Have you tried going to the RIM website or your carrier's website and download the Desktop Manager again? You may have a corrupt file.
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

PIN/ID
    23F53C85

Yeah, I've even tried previous versions...

For kicks I copied the same the Desktop Manager install file over to my nephew's laptop accross the network... It runs fine on his. Definitely something with my machine.

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Yeah, it looks like you have a corrupt .dll file. Do you have problems installing other programs and I assume you are the "administrator" for the computer on which you are trying to install the application?
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

PIN/ID
    23F53C85

nope - no other install issues... just this particular software.

i'm the admin...

riff_raff no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    26853B59

I had problems when installing DM on my VAIO- right at the stage when the files were being copied to my computer everything stopped with an error code saying the installation couldn't be completed, and rolled back everything after I clicked ok... a BB tech googled the error code and it turned out I needed a particular Windows update. I downloaded, restarted, but the screen did some flickering thing I never seen before, so I restarted again and since then it's worked like a charm. DM installation went smoothly after that.
    I'm sorry, I don't remebmer the error code or the update that corrected it, but I did find it on microsoft.com without any problems. Of course, I was careful I got the latest version.
    I really hope this helps you...
    riff raff

tuteblack no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31A972A9

try going to the bb website and download it from there...

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5

Quote Originally Posted by aprileubanks
    I'm trying to install the Blackberry Desktop Manager software on my Dell Latitude D600 (running XPsp2)

When I attempt to run the installer I get a cute little error:
    Desktop Software v4.2 SP2 (English).exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

When I click to see what information the error report contains here's what I see:
    AppName: desktop software v4.2 sp2 (english).exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: kernel32.dll
    ModVer: 5.1.2600.3119 Offset: 0004c10f

Anyone have any information??
    I've scoured the forums for something helpful and I've not found a bit of anything that's worked.
    I am not sure if you are tangled in the same scenario I was in, as I had this problem before. It happened after I initially tried to uninstall a previous version of desktop manager the wrong way (going directly to file through explorer and trying to delete it). From there on I couldn't download any version of desktop manager to my laptop. How did I fix the problem? I wound up slicking my laptop (taking it back all way back down to the manufactures settings) as if I had taken it out of the box the first time before using it. After I "slicked" my laptop the desktop manager installed without a hitch. Am I recommending you slick your laptop? No. But, it’s something to think about if your scenario is the same as mine was. Hopefully you will remedy this soon.

PIN/ID
    23F53C85

thanks for the suggestions everyone...

i'll probably end up slicking it as you suggest calm_tiger... all of my win xp updates are current and since the file came from BB and it works on other machines in my household - i know it's just my craptop. i've search the errors ad nauseum and haven't come up with anything that actually helped...
    i just don't feel like going through the hassle!

oh well. such is life.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

april - have you tried the how to in this thread?

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...p_manager.html

Daedalus no está en línea Stack level 1

Here's something that may help.
    I can't link because of Stack Levels, so go to the blackberry website, and go to support. On the Left hand side "Blackberry technical Solution Center"
    Look up KB article # : KB02206

That should help you! Its a common problem among Desktop Manager users.