I am a new Blackberry owner, just got a Blackberry 8700r. I downloaded Blackberry Desktop ... General Blackberry forum

misfitchris no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    249EA968

Blackberry Desktop Manager v4.3 and 8700r Model

Advertisement

I am a new Blackberry owner, just got a Blackberry 8700r. I downloaded Blackberry Desktop Manager v4.3 and everything works fine except for the media manager function. I want to be able to customise my ringtones and pics etc. but this function is not recognising the BB.

Can anyone say what is wrong here or tell if I might be using the wrong version desktop manager.
    Last edited by doughdaddy; 03-27-2008 at 05:08 PM. Reason: removed font colors/formatting

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    What version OS is installed on your BB? On the 8700 you'll need at least 4.2 to use the advanced media functions. You'll be limited since the 8700 doesn't have media card access.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    249EA968
    Thanks for the info , I actually was afraid of that. So what do I do? How do I upgrade my BB's OS. Are there any safe ways of doing this?
    Last edited by doughdaddy; 03-27-2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: removed font color/formatting

PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Quote Originally Posted by misfitchris View Post
    Thanks for the info , I actually was afraid of that. So what do I do? How do I upgrade my BB's OS. Are there any safe ways of doing this?
    Read up about downloading and installing the BB OS.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...lackberry.html

PIN/ID
    249EA968
    Quote Originally Posted by DCookSta View Post
    Read up about downloading and installing the BB OS.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...lackberry.html

Thanks........but jus t a few things. I have a BB 8700r, it's running OS 4.1.0.284. I have BB Desktop Manager 4.3(which seemingly is the latest BB D/Top Mgr.).The info given indicates that I will be upgrading to OS 4.1 and seen as I have BB D/Top Mgr. v4.3 will this work. See below.............

Here's a quick How To on installing 4.x.
    Follow these instructions and you should be able to have OS 4.1xworking for you too.
    1.) BACK UP YOUR DATA! - I can't stress how important it is to get a good backup in the event you
    need to retore your data.
    2.) Verify that you are using the latest version of Desktop Manager. In the Desktop manager program
    on your PC use the Help menu and select About Desktop Manager. The latest version is 4.2. If you
    need the latest version follow this link.
    3.) Download lastest OS 4.x from this link or if available from your carrier its BEST to download here
    (select carrier)
    4.) Install 4.x using the .exe file you just downloaded.
    5.) Delete the 'Vendor.xml' file ( C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader ) Or
    search your computer's hard drive for the "vendor.xml" file. Once you find it, delete it.
    6.) Connect your device to your PC via the USB cable.
    7.) Open Desktop Manager. It should recognize that there is an upgrade for your device.
    ('Vendor.xml' must be deleted for this step to work) Follow the prompts and you will have OS 4.x
    installed in about 15 to 20 minutes.
    Good luck and of course, myself nor pinstack.com can take responsibilty for any problems that may
    occur. I will however extend my assistance if you need it.

PIN/ID
    312C4157
    The directions are really the same for every version of the os. You have to download the latest device 4.2 os from your provider.
    Once that is downloaded and installed on your computer, start the desktop manager and plug in your phone. You should get a prompt to perform the update.

The vendor.xml part is for if you download another carrier's os. Like if you have an at&t phone but download a bharti os.

If the desktop manager doesn't prompt you, start the app loader and that may jump start things.

PIN/ID
    249EA968
    Thanxxxx .........i'll try this.

PIN/ID
    249EA968

Thumbs up

Just want to say how fascinating it is to be apart of a community that can provide the help when you need it re your BB. Want to say thanks to DCooksta for his help in providing me with that info - it worked like a charm. Also to Twheeler who seem to have posted the instructions earlier. I must say that just befor I ran the upgrade I was a bit skeptical - afterall I was about to run software that could possibly shut down my BB forever. So I had to kind of build my self up to it but as soon as I started I knew it would have been great. Just like the instruction said it went through the steps and BB came back to life anew.

I actually did the upgrade and pretty much have fallen in love with my BB all over again. I can't stop playing around with it now. I know have a media player and my original problem has been fixed, I can now use desktop manager to configure my phone and add stuff. The only thing I need to do now is upgrade the RAM on my PC as the Desk Top Manager uses up a lot of resources so it sometimes freezes up the PC.

I now have BB OS v4.2 and running Desktop Manager v4.3 - AWESOME!!!

PIN/ID
    312C4157
    The first upgrde is always the worst. Glad you're up and working.

peterthill no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    281860C8
    Quote Originally Posted by DCookSta View Post
    The first upgrde is always the worst. Glad you're up and working.

Also the 2nd, 3rd, 4th... Keeps the adrenalin up

Peter

PIN/ID
    249EA968

Smile

Lol .......... I am looking forward to it. Totally stoked about it. thanks again guys

PIN/ID
    249EA968
    Hey Guys, need some help with this again - I am trying to upgrade a new BB Curve 8310. I tried using instructions given above that worked so well the last time but it does not work. When I click the link it takes me to an Asian dowload on Blackberry site. I need some help - please check this out and give me some help.