Haha, my office telecom team is going to love me. I tried to install some ... General Blackberry forum

tylerdola no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Blackberry dead from stupid theme

Advertisement

Haha, my office telecom team is going to love me. I tried to install some theme OTA. Once it was done downloading it just shut off. I saw some small text on the screen (Data Abor.... Reset?) and now it just shuts off... turns on with the hourglass... it spins a few times and it shuts off... and repeats!

I have removed the battery many times. I have done everything I think I can. My BB is fubar'ed. Any suggestions? Or do I wait till Monday and turn it over to my telecom team to give me a new one?

I have a BB 8703e.

Thanks.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Blackberry dead from stupid theme

You can try to relaod the OS and see if that gets it back up and running.

What theme if you don't mind.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

happy1240 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32BD62DA

I had the same problem and this is what I did if nothing works.

.CANNOT CONNECT TO DM NO MATTER WHAT "DEVICE NOT FOUND. . . and I read some posts and came across this: You have to go to Device Manager on WinXP (right click the 'My Computer' icon -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager).

Select the USB Device Icons and scan for hardware changes on all of them and then update right click and update driver information on all of them. And then the Blackberry will be recognized by the system.

I had to reload everything and erase the theme I was loading at the time when it crashed. I lost all my phone numbers in my phone. But a least it is WORKING!!! I installed a theme that my bb didnt like and didnt work well. I got the hourglass nightmare and my desktop manager didnt recognize my device. This worked for me so good luck! Let us know.

Ok. I tried what that thread said to do. Windows has detected my BB. It says "Your handeld device is ready to use". BUT, Desktop Manager cannot detect it. I tried using the device manager trick (thanks happy1240) and again, Windows detected it. But my Desktop manager just won't! Any thoughts?

p.s. I stupidly tried to install bPhone on my non 4.2 OS 8703e

happy1240 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32BD62DA

Ok let me see if I can do this for you. This article helped me. www.blackberry.com/btsc/articles/583/kb02640_f.sal_public.html

Let me know if you get it and helped. Ok link is bad . Hold on let me find the article. Brb.

Ok let see if this works:

Task 1 - Verify the Symptoms
    To verify that the BlackBerry device connection is showing symptoms of a USB-related problem, complete the following steps:
    1. Disconnect the BlackBerry device from the computer and then reconnect it using the USB cable. Verify that the connection is secure.
    2. Click Start > Programs > BlackBerry > Desktop Manager and verify that BlackBerry Desktop Manager displays Disconnected in the Status field.
    3. In BlackBerry Desktop Manager, on the Options menu, select Connection Settings. The Connection Settings window appears.
    4. Verify that the Connection field is set to USB.
    5. Click Detect and verify that a handheld not found message appears.
    Task 2 - Open BlackBerry Device Manager
    To open BlackBerry Device Manager, complete the following steps:
    1. Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer using the USB cable.
    2. On your computer, right-click My Computer and select Properties.
    3. Click the Hardware tab.
    4. Click Device Manager. The BlackBerry Device Manager window appears.
    Task 3 - Update the USB Driver
    To update the USB driver, complete the following steps:
    1. In the BlackBerry Device Manager window, complete one of the following conditions:
      • If an Unknown Device icon appears:
      1. Disconnect the BlackBerry device from the USB cable.
      2. Perform a hard reset on the BlackBerry device. For instructions, see KB02141.
      3. Reconnect the BlackBerry device to the USB cable. The Unknown Device icon should disappear from the BlackBerry Device Manager window.

• If an Other Devices icon appears, double-click the Other Devices icon and proceed with step 2 above.
      • Otherwise, double-click Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

2. Double-click RIM Handheld.
    3. On the RIM Handheld Properties window, click the Driver tab.
    4. Click Driver Details.
    5. Verify that the RimUsb.sys driver file is located in the following location: C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\
      If the RimUsb.sys file is not located in this location, uninstall and delete the USB driver as described in Task 5. Otherwise, continue updating the driver.
    6. Click Update Driver.
    7. Follow the instructions in the Upgrade Device Driver Wizard to update the USB driver.
    Task 4 - Uninstall the USB Driver
    If Task 3 does not resolve the BlackBerry device detection problem, complete the following steps:
    1. In BlackBerry Device Manager, double-click the RIM Handheld icon.
    2. In the RIM Handheld Properties window, click the Driver tab.
    3. Click Uninstall or Remove.
    4. On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK. The USB driver is uninstalled and the RIM Handheld icon disappears from the BlackBerry Device Manager.
    5. Disconnect and then reconnect the BlackBerry device using the USB cable. The USB driver is re-installed and a new RIM Handheld icon appears in BlackBerry Device Manager.
    Task 5 - Uninstall all USB Controllers
    If Task 4 does not resolve the BlackBerry device detection problem, complete the following steps:
    1. In BlackBerry Device Manager, double-click Universal Serial Bus Controllers. See the example image below.

2. Double-click the first controller inside Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
    3. Click the Driver tab.
    4. Click Uninstall.
    5. On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK.
    6. Repeat steps 2 to 5 for each controller inside Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
    7. After all the controllers have been uninstalled, close BlackBerry Device Manager and restart the computer. The USB controllers are re-installed automatically.

Task 6 - Uninstall the USB driver and reinstall BlackBerry Desktop Software
    If Task 5 does not resolve the BlackBerry device detection problem, complete the following steps:
    • In BlakcBerry Device Manager, double-click the RIM Handheld icon.
    • On the RIM Handheld Properties window, click the Driver tab.
    • Click Uninstall or Remove.
    • On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK.
    • Close BlackBerry Device Manager.
    • Re-install BlackBerry Desktop Software by completing the following steps:<LI style="LIST-STYLE-TYPE: none">
      1. <LI dir=ltr>Open the Control Panel. Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
      2. Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon.
      3. From the list of currently installed programs, click BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
      4. Click Change/Remove.
      5. In the InstallShield Wizard, click the Repair option.
      6. Click Next.
      7. Once the software has finished installing, click Finish.
    • Disconnect and then reconnect the BlackBerry device using the USB cable.
    Task 7 - Perform a Clean Uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software
    If Task 6 does not resolve the BlackBerry device detection problem, complete the following steps:
    1. Perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software. For instructions, see KB02206.
    2. Restart the computer.
    3. Download the latest BlackBerry Desktop Software and service packs from your wireless service provider’s web site.
    4. Install the software by double-clicking the downloaded file and following the installation wizard. For more information, see the Installing the Desktop Software section in the BlackBerry Desktop Software Release Notes.
    5. Disconnect and then reconnect the BlackBerry device using the USB cable.
    Task 8 - Verify the USB port version of the computer
    In the BlackBerry Device Manager window, click the + (plus sign) next to USB controllers. You will see a list of the USB ports installed on your computer. The information in this list will help you to determine what version your ports are, as follows:
    • If your USB port name contains Universal Host, then your port is version 1.1.
    • If you see both Universal Host and Enhanced Host, then it is version 2.0.
    Last edited by happy1240; 10-08-2007 at 11:37 AM.

Woah! What an awesome post! Thanks so much. I managed to get it working though. The original link sent to me said that I should try to connect with USB:PIN with the battery out. But I was able to do it with the battery in and "Device halted" with ALT-NUM-DEL. It's loading as we speak.

Thanks for all the help! Consider this one closed. No more bPhone. When the heck will Bell give me 4.2 OS for my 8703e?