Hi Here are a few suggestions to improve the functionality of the Curve. Please forgive ... General Blackberry forum

keertan no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2513BAB9

Lightbulb Blackberry Curve Wishlist

Advertisement

Hi

Here are a few suggestions to improve the functionality of the Curve. Please forgive & educate if some of these are already available, I'm a NooB & welcome enlightenment.

SMS / TXT messages (All these functions are available on the Nokia N73)
    - Sent Messages land in the outbox and stay there, over time, these build up to large numbers and slow down the device. Can there be a (user settable) limit to messages in the outbox (say 50 or 100) after which older messages get auto-deleted.
    - Can messages be saved to user created folders For Eg : Jokes, Bank, Alerts, Work, Family etc
    - Like the shortcut to compose an email which is in the main menu of icons, Can there be a shortcut to create SMS's
    - Can you send someone's Contact info as a business card by SMS / txt message

Phone Functions
    - Autolock the keypad after a user settable duration of time (10 or 20 or 30 secs)
    - Can we select 'Airplane Mode' (Wireless Radio settings - OFF) straight from the profiles menu
    - Sometimes the phone is ringing and you dont want to take the call or reject it (like when you're just waking up from a nap), but you want the ringer to stop. Can this be done ?
    - How do you add birthday's to the calendar ?

will submit some more as i go along... appreciate this forum, its the greatest.

enikolayev no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Blackberry Curve Wishlist

WOW i really need to get some sleep. after reading your post i started replying on what the pearl can or cannot do. then went back to the top of your post and realized its about the curve.

btw did i mention that I LOVE FIREFOX!? this may seem random but as i was typing this, my computer gave me the blue screen of death, and when i restarted it i restored my firefox session and all the stuff i typed was still here .

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/switch

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Quote Originally Posted by keertan
    Hi
    - Sent Messages land in the outbox and stay there, over time, these build up to large numbers and slow down the device. Can there be a (user settable) limit to messages in the outbox (say 50 or 100) after which older messages get auto-deleted.
    You can't set the number of messages, but you can set the number of days/months messages are retained. From the Main Screen, go into Messages, click the Menu button and select Options, then General Options. Towards the bottom you can set Keep Messages to 15 or 30 days, or 2-6 Months (or forever). I've only seen keeping messages forever slow the device down - and that was well after 9 months.
    - Like the shortcut to compose an email which is in the main menu of icons, Can there be a shortcut to create SMS's
    The Compose icon on my 8800 will only do SMS - no email! If you're in Messages (or any of the email icons) and have a date highlighted instead of a message, clicking on the Track Ball will bring up a short menu which includes Compose for all mediums (Email, PIN, SMS, etc.)
    - Autolock the keypad after a user settable duration of time (10 or 20 or 30 secs)
    Under (Settings/Tools -->) Options --> Security Options --> General Settings, you can set the device to lock on holstering. You can also set a password and a time out for how long before the device locks with the password. From the main screen, [Alt][Enter] will lock the device, and if you have Dial from home screen set to No (Phone --> Options --> General Options), tapping the letter K will also lock the screen - with or without a password).
    Not from Profiles, but if you click on the Manage Connections icon, you can turn off either the radio (Mobile Network) and/or Bluetooth. If you were in a plane, simply hit [Enter] to Turn All Connections Off (you shouldn't be using Bluetooth in a plane). From Manage Connections, if you go into Mobile Network Options you can also turn off Data Services so you don't get any email, but the phone still works.
    Go to the date in the calendar and hit [Enter]. Enter some text for who's birthday it is, check the All Day Event box, and set the Recurrence to Yearly.

will submit some more as i go along... appreciate this forum, its the greatest.
    And we'll still be here!
    JerryD

PIN/ID
    2513BAB9

Hi Jdellasala

Thanks for all the responses, that was very detailed.

COMPOSE button on my 8300 only allows me to compose an email... If I'm within the sms or mail application and i press the button, it will bring up the menu where i can compose SMS (i know that), but I was looking for a shortcut which i can add to the home screen as i am trying to reduce the number of key presses between picking up my Curve and getting to most often repeated tasks.

BUSINESS CARD - Nokia & Sony phones have this functionality where any contact info in your address book can be easily sent to another phone via sms. Does Blackberry have anything like that ? If not, can they introduce the same ?

KEYLOCK - I know it keylocks after inserting in the holster if you have activated the settings, but what if you dont wanna use the holster (its bulky), Is it possible to set it on autolock ?

AIRPLANE - I know i can go to manage connections and do the needful, Is it possible to get this toggle on the manage profiles, so its easier to reach from home screen

IGNORE CALLS - When you press the red button, the calling party gets a busy tone and tries calling you minutes later. But if you let it ring through, they think you're away from the phone and you'll call back later.

Thanks for everything.

benritmeyer no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~to let the call still carry on so people don't think you've hung up on them, press either the up or down volume key on the side, this mutes the ringer but doesn't hang up the call

ebanga no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24352F80

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    You can create your own profiles on any BB so just make one called Airplane Mode and change the settings accordingly.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Quote Originally Posted by ebanga
    You can create your own profiles on any BB so just make one called Airplane Mode and change the settings accordingly.
    A profile would have to be able to change the state of the radio for it to be a true airplane mode. Not just tones.

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee
    Hi Jdellasala

Thanks for all the responses, that was very detailed.

COMPOSE button on my 8300 only allows me to compose an email... If I'm within the sms or mail application and i press the button, it will bring up the menu where i can compose SMS (i know that), but I was looking for a shortcut which i can add to the home screen as i am trying to reduce the number of key presses between picking up my Curve and getting to most often repeated tasks.

BUSINESS CARD - Nokia & Sony phones have this functionality where any contact info in your address book can be easily sent to another phone via sms. Does Blackberry have anything like that ? If not, can they introduce the same ?

KEYLOCK - I know it keylocks after inserting in the holster if you have activated the settings, but what if you dont wanna use the holster (its bulky), Is it possible to set it on autolock ?

AIRPLANE - I know i can go to manage connections and do the needful, Is it possible to get this toggle on the manage profiles, so its easier to reach from home screen

IGNORE CALLS - When you press the red button, the calling party gets a busy tone and tries calling you minutes later. But if you let it ring through, they think you're away from the phone and you'll call back later.

Thanks for everything.
    Not sure about sending business cards via sms. I was also under the impression that this was limited by the media. You can send them via mms however. Not sure your carrier, but tmo counts them as the same, so it wouldn't matter. Hope this helps

Dolphin no está en línea Stack level 2

I also just got my Curve and would propose similar suggestions to Keertan:
    - Shortcut for compose SMS/text message. With my old nokia, I just had to press 1 button to Compose SMS. But this may be unique requirement for Asia which is text/SMS heavy
    - Business card sending through SMS. This can be done in Nokia. There shouldn't be any reason why BB can't do it
    - Ignore calls: Nokia allowed a third option in addition to Accept or Reject Calls. I could ignore calls by silencing the ringtone but without rejecting the calls

In addition:
    - For some reasons, I don't see any icons for different profiles - for instance if I was on Quiet profile, I wouldn't know until I go to profile and see the active profile

Hopefully somebody in BB will pay attention to these suggestions which are quite basic. But overall I am happy with my Curve

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Continuing....

BUSINESS CARD - Well the BlackBerry is an email device, and this functionality is built into email functions - and MMS messages as well, but as attachments, not as text. I assume your phones converted address book information to text. While this isn't exactly the same, if you usually want to include your information, you can create AutoText entries that will at least make life easier. For example, I have entries:
    mycell = (555) 123-4567 [my actual cell phone]
    mywork = [my work number]
    You get the idea. There are special AutoText macros - %o and %O (both the letter O) which expand to Owner Name and Owner Information as entered in Options --> Owner. I also have an AutoText entry sig which expands to:
    %o
    %O
    I don't want to append my signature to every email, but when I do want to, I simply type sig and when I hit [Space] or [Enter] it expands into my full name and work info.

KEYLOCK - as I said, set a password and you can then set a timeout for the device (keyboard) to lock.

IGNORE CALLS - there's no way to actually block calls, but you can give people you don't want to hear from a silent custom ring tone. I've seen them posted here, and this one:
    http://www.mobile41.com/ringtones/mp3/atc_teenbuzz.mp3
    will supposedly only be heard by teen agers, and a silent one is easy enough to create.
    JerryD

littleacorn no está en línea Stack Professional

Can messages be saved to user created folders For Eg : Jokes, Bank, Alerts, Work, Family etc

AMEN!

i am waiting for the day the heavens part and the angels sing.

someone needs to either make an app or blackberry needs to make it a standard.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

- Sometimes the phone is ringing and you dont want to take the call or reject it (like when you're just waking up from a nap), but you want the ringer to stop. Can this be done ?
    You can't hit mute like on the 8800?

Just like any other calendar entry...

It might be easier for you but it doesn't really make any functional sense to place the radio switch under Profiles. Profiles are for controlling the various alerts. Turning the radio off and on is an entirely separate item. It might be "just one little feature" but with enough of these the BB interface would be pretty incomprehensible.

Suggestions should be email to bbsuggestions@rim.com. Don't assume that RIM reads the forums for suggestions.
    Last edited by takeshi; 09-04-2007 at 10:03 AM.

gkg3059 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    204bd5f7

I have a profile which has no sounds or vibrations! Its good for sleepy time and will always see who's called me.

kermalou no está en línea Stack level 2

How do I send a business card as an attachment?

PIN/ID
    2513BAB9

thanks all for some really good suggestions and work-arounds.