A handful of my user's Blackberry 8820 and 8310 devices required having the battery replaced. ... General Blackberry forum

eviljonny no está en línea Stack level 2

Blackberry Battery

Advertisement

A handful of my user's Blackberry 8820 and 8310 devices required having the battery replaced. The issue is quite alarming. The batteries devloped a bulge in the center and on each of the flat sides. I was worried about the device being damaged and/or an explosion so I had my carrier replace them under the device warranty. But I still would like to know what is causing this issue. Thank you.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Are your BB's exposed to any high degree of moisture or anything like that. I've not heard of batteries that have bulging sides.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    It sounds like faulty production, to me. My friend has a "bulgy" battery in her Curve, but she's had it for at least a year.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I very well could be faulty. Moisture was the only thing that came to my mind but too much moisture would surely effect the BB before the battery.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

melonman12 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I have frequently seen it with most of the various versions of the BB batteries. I was curious as to the cause so I did some testing of my own. At first I thought water or humidity might be the issue but none of the water labels on the units I was looking at had changed. The most common cause I found was the use of some of the aftermarket cheaply built chargers that did not have the proper monitoring circuit. What happens is they overcharge the battery even when they phone recognizes the battery is full. I'm not exactly sure what causes the bulging, but it's either heat or gas build-up inside the lithium cells.
    I would check with the people who are having problems and see if they are using any aftermarket chargers. I have had the same results from aftermarket home chargers, car chargers, and the "docking stations" with the charger built-in (especially the ones with the slot to charge the extra battery- those pop faster than any other without some protection from the phone.).

eviljonny no está en línea Stack level 2
    Interesting. I doubt any of them are using after market chargers because they would never buy it with their own money and the internal purchases would go through me. It has only happened to 4 batteries out of hundreds of devices so I am not too concerned. Look at the attached pic. Fatberry battery on the left, normal on the right. Things looks like it is going to give birth!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by eviljonny; 01-21-2009 at 07:11 PM.

iKevin09 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    302CC0D6
    Quote Originally Posted by eviljonny View Post
    Interesting. I doubt any of them are using after market chargers because they would never buy it with their own money and the internal purchases would go through me. It has only happened to 4 batteries out of hundreds of devices so I am not too concerned. Look at the attached pic. Fatberry battery on the left, normal on the right. Things looks like it is going to give birth!
    It's like a tumor for the Blackberry! Remove it early enough in the stage and you can save its life!!

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by eviljonny View Post
    Oh good LORD! That battery is ginormous. I would definitely NOT put that back in the Blackberry.
    Last edited by ssnxp; 01-21-2009 at 11:52 PM.