Ok, App World 1.1 is here and while it did bring a few new features ... General Blackberry forum

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Blackberry App World 1.1

Advertisement

Ok, App World 1.1 is here and while it did bring a few new features that look great, I will admit I am a bit disappointed that it did not bring with it the ability to install and run apps from the SD card as had been rumored. Instead, you can 'Archive' your applications onto the SD card, but they have to be 'Restored' in order to run them. A useful feature if you have apps you use infrequently, but don't want to remove. The interface is also much faster then it's predecessor. It also sports a feature to notify you if an app has a newer version out. Overall, it is a big step up from what we know as App World.

You can grab it here from your BB (some are reporting error messages when attempting to access through here).

Also, you can go here from your BB if the above link is malfunctioning.

Notice the two new buttons along the bottom that take you to the top rated paid and top rated free apps.

You'll notice here how it shows not only that an app is available for upgrade, but that one has been 'Archived', and a bar along the top that shows the device's currently available free memory. To 'Archive' an app, scroll to the app in the 'My World' tab and select 'Archive'.

If you look along the top bar of the image, you'll see the App World symbol with a "2" beside it. This is an alert that 2 apps have updates available. Also notice the two apps that have a green arrow beside them and one says 'Archived' in the title. After archiving the app, it becomes an icon on your home screen. Selecting the app will allow you to restore it to the device.

So for a quick recap, here are the advantages in the new version:
    • Faster load times on apps
    • Ability to archive apps onto the SD card
    • Available upgrade notifications
    • Quick links to top rated paid/free apps
    • Filter in the search function to sort by vendor, free, rating, etc..
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

ur561ad no está en línea Stack level 3
    Downloaded it on my 8330 and it doesn't work. Says its not connecting to the app worls server. It overode my previous version, so now I have none. Oh well!
    Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.14320/504; U; en) Presto/2.2.0

rpol8052 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!
    Works fine on Storm...def much faster!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Works flawlessly on my 8120. I love the faster load times, new links and search filters. I haven't loaded any new apps from it yet so I can't comment on the archiving or the upgrade notifications. Only issue I had was that I had to exit out of it 3 times once installed to scroll down and accept the EULA agreement.

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by ur561ad View Post
    Downloaded it on my 8330 and it doesn't work. Says its not connecting to the app worls server. It overode my previous version, so now I have none. Oh well!
    Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.14320/504; U; en) Presto/2.2.0
    As Az posted here, there seems to be a bug in the 8330 and 8830 versions.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    How to upgrade your OS

paulypaul no está en línea Stack level 3
    Pretty slick..... I like it
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107

BBqwest no está en línea Stack level 3
    Won't work on my 8330 either. Will not connect for me. Hmm. Now I had to delete cause it overide the old version for me to. Hopefully they fix this soon.
    BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.160 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106

jonah1982 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    322B4F2E
    I downloaded it to check out the new stuff...not much new to it. I already uninstalled it. Is a waste of space.

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Works great on my Bold..

jcw4b no está en línea Stack level 1
    Any idea on the Bold how to clear the app upgrade notifications on the home screen ? I have upgraded all my apps but i still have an icon telling me that I have 6 apps to upgrade. A reboot does nothing.

PIN/ID
    Ask
    I pulled my hair out over that for about 2 days. In the end, when I went into my messages, there were 3 notifications there that I had upgrades available.
    How to upgrade your OS

jcw4b no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanks - now I can see that once you delete the actual upgrade message, then that gets rid of the upgrade notification icons.

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Yeah. Be sure to check out the new version available for download, 1.1.0.15.
    How to upgrade your OS