Hi, I'm a new member and looking at getting a Blackberry... I need to know ... General Blackberry forum

oceanview no está en línea Stack level 1

blackberry and laptop...

Advertisement

Hi, I'm a new member and looking at getting a Blackberry...

I need to know which Blackberry can hook up to a laptop for internet use. It is to be in NA and
    the Caribbean.

And what kind of connection speeds would I be looking at.

thank you much...

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27

Re: blackberry and laptop...

first off welcome to the stacks! this is the place for everything Blackberry

depends on whether you get a phone with Wi-Fi or not...if not then you'll be using EDGE which is inbetween dial-up and cable otherwise you can use wi-fi

the newest blackberries all tether as modems to your PC...T-mobile actually encourages this and will help you set it up

hope this helps

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27

do you have a carrier in mind...since you're limited in your area of need for use i would look at which carriers have the best coverage for the NA (north america/northern atlantic) and carribean...then go from there on pricing and phones

magellan0547...thank you for the replies....

there are 2 carriers in the caribbean....and they have the 8100, 8300 & 8800...and I must also
    activate a phone plan...which I didn' t want...I'm no t to worried about carriers in Canada or the
    US...I'm sure I can get hooked up...

my other concern is connection speed....is/will internet access be slow like between 56k & 256k;

so any info or sites you can point me too I'll review as well for additional information...

thanks...

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

You really need to make sure which carrier will provide the coverage where you live, work, travel and play. Not all carriers provide coverage everywhere so really take a look and don't guess. Don't believe the coverage maps either talk to family, friends, co-workers, etc.

If you go GSM and are on EDGE, (ATT and T-Mo) expect average speeds of 50 to 125 Kbps with a max of around 300 kbps.

GSM 3G in the US (ATT) averages roughly 400-900 kbps with a max of 3.2 mbps.

CDMA (Verizon and Sprint) is similar to ATT's 3G - 400-800 kbps and max of 2.5 mbps.

However, given all of that,the speed actually depends on the connection itself, the device processor and memor, your distance to the cell tower and congestion at the tower.

So I guess there is no real solid answer on speed as it all depends on where you are at a given time.

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F

Quote Originally Posted by oceanview
    Hi, I'm a new member and looking at getting a Blackberry...

I need to know which Blackberry can hook up to a laptop for internet use. It is to be in NA and
    the Caribbean.

And what kind of connection speeds would I be looking at.

thank you much...

I use my BB as a tethered modem whenever there is no WiFi for my laptop. With my model I only get GPRS. Nominal connection speed is 115 kbps, that is, approx 14.4 kbytes/sec; but actual speed is typically 5 kbytes/sec...and on occasion much lower. I would advise you not to lay too much faith on what speed they tell you you are going to get, but to try it out yourself and see.

As if you were from Missouri

thanks to all for the replies....

I'll ask to see the bby in action...my concerns are the connection speeds as I have no direct
    internet connection other than satellite via ev-do usb modem...

Which model is recommended between the 8100, 8300 & the 8800. I've seen one called world
    edition; which is that.

later....