Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've been reading a lot about BlackBerry or smartphone addiction lately. If there's such a ... General Blackberry forum

AZA43 no está en línea Stack level 2

Question BlackBerry Addiction: Is there such a thing??

Advertisement

I've been reading a lot about BlackBerry or smartphone addiction lately. If there's such a thing, I've got it. But I'm not sure that's so bad.

I guess it has something to do with whether you use your BlackBerry strictly for business or for personal reasons. I can see it becoming an issue if you never stop working--everyone knows that's unhealthy--but I use my RIM device for both work and play. Truth be told, it never leaves my side.

This article talks about BlackBerry addiction and mentions a few initiatives meant to help "addicts" quit their devices, including one that offers travelers hotel upgrades and such for not using their smartphones during stays.

What do you all think? Are you BlackBerry addicts? (If you visit this site or other RIM forums daily, you probably are.) Is that a bad thing? Do you think organizations like the one in the article should have a right to govern their employees' BlackBerry use?

AZA

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: BlackBerry Addiction: Is there such a thing??

I am an addict, but I really don't think that it is a bad thing. I don't think it's any worse than someone being addicted to coffee or caffine, you have to have it on a daily basis. I think that the only time that it becomes a problem is when you allow the BB to interfere with your personal life,( ie. family time, or down time from work.) Everyone has a vice of some kind, for some unfortunately it's drugs, alcohol, or even prescription drugs....for me it's technology, so at least i'm not destroying brain cells-I'm giving them a workout. As for corporations limiting their employees use of BBs...thats up to the person paying the bills.

monica.simons no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASKME

I admit that I am a crackberry addict. And at times it tends to get in the way of my personal life . But like Ray said, I don't do drugs or smoke....very seldom drink..it's my ONLY downfall. It gets hard at times to put it down and leave it so I can get things done like house work etc...but there comes a point when I finally have to bite the bullet and do it. I will say this though, as much as I love my stacker family if I absolutely HAD to choose between my BB or family (ie family life in trouble) BB would have to go :cry:
    Providing customers with the latest in news and info along with experienced one on one tech support, training, product sales, exclusive themes and more.

stuart B no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    256c5822

I god I'm a complete addict! Everything (whithin reason)relates to my Blackberry. I don't go near a pc anymore as I now live on on Blackberry. I get excited talking to people about what my phone does. I am always cleaning the memory and or trying new programs. Looking at Blackberry,s when out and around other phone shops. I even went into my providers shop the other day and argued about what the 8120 was able to do!
    Just to give you the full picture. I've two businesses , four children , a great wife (who hates phones and thinks that all I'm doing is txing when e mailing ) yet I still find time to reading through pinstacks every night, instant message my friends aswell as everything else !
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

s16ri no está en línea Stack level 5

If there's no such thing, then pinstack is like a ghost town

squished18 no está en línea Stack level 3

Maybe it's kind of like being addicted to breathing.

Anela808 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    4M32KN0W

im addicted and so proud of it!!!! i should be arrested for recruiting other crackberry addicts. my phone is always on me....i forget my medicine but NEVER my bb!!!!! lol

cwadams70 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319E8B43

An addiction is a continued use of a substance or behavior that has long-term detremental health effects and/or severe hardship. With that said, there is a distinct difference between dependence and addiction albeit a fine line exists between the two. I use my BB daily, it wakes me up, keeps me informed, in touch,and entertained so it is safe to say that I am heavily dependent on the wonderful device but not addicted. Although my wife would question my position on that line. Now, if I didn't eat for days, neglected my family and/or job to the point that I lost one or both, or unproductive with life- then yes, addiction is possible.

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

James80 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31955D4A

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Four words...Can't Function Without It

Tonka11666 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    206C38AF

Addicted? Yes, absolutely, with a vengance! The wife is already extremely angry and the dog desperate for attention! And I have only had my 8310 for 4 days....

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada

Thats what my wife says. I bought her the red 8100 for V day. I told her to just wait, she would join all of us soon. No way she says. Then why do i catch her playing pac man every spare moment she has?

macallik no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe

Addiction????? I was born with this attached to my arm.

mz pnut no está en línea Stack level 2

I'm definitely an addict. :P My berry goes wherever I go - and it has a spot next to me under my pillow. My boyfriend doesn't like it being in the same room because my attention is always focused on whether I see the phantom blinking light from the corner of my eye lol!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

My addiction has been going on for 4 years now. It started with a 950 (AOL used this BB as part of their Mobile Communicator Service to access my AOL email and AIM Messenger until that service was ported to the SideKick).

Went about a year or so without one until I got my 7730. It's been all downhill (aka my addiction getting worse) since then with the 7100t, 7105t and now my 8100. I am now looking to get either the 88xx (or whatever comes out next year) followed by the newest Pearl.

And what's really gonna be hard is deciding which one(s) to use as I will have ALL of the ones I use (except the 7730 which I hate, and the 7105t which I no longer own after having 2 defective units) backed up on my PC with DM. Yes I will have 4 BB's connected to one PC by 2011.

My other 2 addictions in addition to the devices themselves??
    1) Finding the perfect accessories for them.
    2) Coming to the Stacks to learn more about the BB's and helping others solve problems with their devices.

But I don't want ANY help whatsoever to recover from this addiction since it's the only one I can truly enjoy LOL
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 02-26-2008 at 02:47 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast