Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi. I'm new here and just would like some user comments/feedback/reviews on the 8700g and ... General Blackberry forum

lydy777 no está en línea Stack level 1

Lightbulb Blackberry 8700g or 8100 Pearl? Can't decide...

Advertisement

Hi. I'm new here and just would like some user comments/feedback/reviews on the 8700g and Pearl models.

I'm currently using a 7105t and selling it, so I can upgrade to either the Blackberry 8700g or the Pearl. I've heard mixed reviews about both (i.e., the Pearl has better voice reception, the 8700 has phenomenal battery life, etc...). I always had my eye on the 8700g however. I think the Pearl is nice and sleek, however a little small. I do like that it has a camera and multimedia features, however. At the same time though, I'm used to not having a camera with my 7105t. I love the beautiful screen on the 8700, whereas the Pearl seems just a little too small for its functionality as a Blackberry.

I can't make up my mind? I tend to use the phone more for data and emails anyway (so maybe I'm better off with the 8700), but, I do also like a phone thats not too cumbersome as a voice phone (a big plus with the Pearl).

Anyone have either phone and could compare what they know or have heard about the pros and cons of both??

Thanks. I'm sure it'll make my decision easier...

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: Blackberry 8700g or 8100 Pearl? Can't decide...

Welcome to Pinstack!
    I have the pearl, but if I were you I would hold out for the 8300. It will have the same screen as the 8700 and the mutlimedia functions of the pearl. You will then have the best of both worlds

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

~via SUPA BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I think either would be a good upgrade. The 8700 is older and the 8800 is out and 8300 is around the corner. Those are your full qwerty board options. The Pearl is very small for a BB and SureType is not too bad. I think a better transition would be the Pearl since you are using ST in the 7105 now.

Just my 2 pennies.

wxboss no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    21DA38F3

The Pearl's screen is smaller, but that is part of what makes it so popular...its size.

It doesn't bother me too much because I appreciate its slim form factor.

I have an 8703e and an 8100. My 8100 gets used a whole lot more.

It's hard to nail down everything that attracts me to the Pearl (different people have different reasons), but its 'sleakness' and size are definite pluses.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

it seems you want the best of both worlds like staceyrvc said, hold out til the 8320 comes out with t-mobile. it's a combination of both. it is a little smaller than the 8700g, but still has a nice says screen, with the media options like the pearl. and has the qwerty keypad like the 8700g! but if you must get a phone now, i would suggest the pearl!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

I went thru this same decision making process. Because I used the 7105t and the 7100t before that, it felt right to me to continue with SureType. But, if no one has said this already, I will...go to your local T-Mo where you got the 7105t from and play with the 8700g and 8800 and see which one fits your needs most. Find out which one feels more comfortable and lighter.

Most importantly, determine which one you will be able to live with as a standard phone without a wired or BlueTooth wireless headset. This was the HUGE turn off for me for the full keyboard devices. I had a 7730 and it was a WAFFLE next to my ear. Needless to say I never added any minutes to my plan when I had it.

I switched over the SureType series and have yacked on my phone with comfort.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 05-27-2007 at 02:28 AM.

I think you all have good insight into both models. It looks like most of you think the Pearl is a better option for right now at least. I think it basically comes down to a personal preference. A few people at TMobile and RIM told me that one is not better than the other. They're just different. I think I could adjust to using either one. I played around with both the 8700 and the Pearl, just to get a feel for them. I personally liked the QWERTY keypad on the 8700 (makes for easier typing), but also appreciated the sleeker look and width of the Pearl. The camera on the Pearl I heard is crappy, but that shouldn't be the deciding factor either.

If I do decide on the 8700, I will need to get the bluetooth accessories with it. I just can't see holding it up to my ear all the time. I can clearly imagine loving it though, when I am web browsing and emailing, etc...

I will try and test them out again in the store and see which suits me better.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

You really just need to evaluate which items are most important to you and most of the deciding factors are a matter of personal preference. The core BB functionality (email, internet access) will be the same. If it comes to it, make an actual list of the pros and cons for each and compare.

For a lot of people, SureType versus full qwerty is the make-or-break feature but there are some who are happy with either.

I'd suggest looking at the 8800 as well. If a camera doesn't matter much to you then waiting on an 83xx is pretty pointless (though everyone tried to recommend it to eveyone else).

The 8800 is nice as well. Well, at this point, I think I'm going to go with the Pearl. I'm digging it more now...

The black or white Pearl? Hmmm the last decision I'll have to make on this matter...

The white is beautiful and very unique. But it is a "BLACK" berry...

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

I c a lot of ladies go with the white pearl and most guys go with the black pearl. I don't know I would say the black pearl because its not as easy to get dirty. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

rkkeller no está en línea Stack level 3

Here is bad about the Pearl if you want my opinion. I bought it like everyone else, all the features in this tiny phone WOW. After using it for many months, its just overly small which is great for portability but not for much else. The longer I have my Pearl, the more I find myself using my laptop. I cant even remember the last full email I typed on the Pearl or video I watched. If it wasnt for JiveTalk and IMing my Pearl would just be a phone that can sync to a PC and with a camera that works in a pinch but I carry a real digital in my laptop bag.

The video feature is fun at first but if you read the current thread in the Pearl section here, almost everyone agrees the novelty wears off and the screen is just to small for watching a lot. The camera is OK at best with a lot of light and non moving objects but for indoor or moving things like dogs you might as well forget it as all the pics will be blurry.

Besides it fits in a pocket, in hindsight, smaller is not always better. I would take something larger with less features if I could do it again as the frills wear off and all your left with is tiny.

tgeekb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2102EF9F

Quote Originally Posted by rkkeller
    Here is bad about the Pearl if you want my opinion. I bought it like everyone else, all the features in this tiny phone WOW. After using it for many months, its just overly small which is great for portability but not for much else. The longer I have my Pearl, the more I find myself using my laptop. I cant even remember the last full email I typed on the Pearl or video I watched. If it wasnt for JiveTalk and IMing my Pearl would just be a phone that can sync to a PC and with a camera that works in a pinch but I carry a real digital in my laptop bag.

The video feature is fun at first but if you read the current thread in the Pearl section here, almost everyone agrees the novelty wears off and the screen is just to small for watching a lot. The camera is OK at best with a lot of light and non moving objects but for indoor or moving things like dogs you might as well forget it as all the pics will be blurry.

Besides it fits in a pocket, in hindsight, smaller is not always better. I would take something larger with less features if I could do it again as the frills wear off and all your left with is tiny.
    That's a great personal opinion and why everyone needs to assess their wants and needs themselves. For me, I love the form factor and it has not worn out with me. I don't email 100 times a day so the fact I can carry it around easily in my pocket and check my emails is perfect. We are all different.

luvnbb no está en línea Stack level 1

i have the 8100 but i think the 8700 is more of a business type phone....

mrcsbrooks no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204b1dba

Personally I love my pearl for the size and that was my final decision. I have a device that's smaller than any other device out there and I can get the job done just like those can.

Suretype was part of my decision as well6 I didn't know how long it would of taken me to adjust to suretype. But you adapt quickly, another thing is if you don't like the suretype feature, you can always tweak your settings to multi-tap. Plus you have the color options for your device.

But I wanted to let you know as well the 8320 is due to come out very soon and this might be the perfect bb for you. I would wait it out and actually play with that device in hand and compare it with the pearl.

I wouldn't recommend the 8700 at this point. Although it is a great bb, the newer devices that are arriving have the same features and more. So with an 8700 I feel as if you would miss out on a lot of the great features have been trying to improve from models such as the 8700.

I hope this helps, make sure you let us know what you get!!!

Oh and btw lydy, get a white pearl tmob, out here in California it makes you look like your Hollywood bound lol

Thanks everyone for your input so far. It has helped make my decision easier. I think most definitely I will get the Pearl, so long as my 7105t sells soon. I think I may go with tradition and get the black Pearl, but I do think the white is unique. Some of the posters on other threads have mentioned that the white Pearl looks a little cheap and tacky. I will have to see it in person, however. I think when I compare the black and the white Pearl, I will just know...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast