Ok, this is my first post, so please excuse me if this has been covered. ... General Blackberry forum

dannybritton no está en línea Stack level 1

Blackberry 8100 or Curve: Help Me Choose

Advertisement

Ok, this is my first post, so please excuse me if this has been covered.
    I get to "try-out" these two phones and would like your pros and cons on each. Is one a better deal than the other ect.
    This will be my first smart phone, so I don't know what to look for exactly. I know I will use the e-mail feature and would like to take decent pictures as well. I have quite a collection of music that I would to put on the phone also.
    Thanks for any advice.
    Danny

MC PIRAT3 no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Blackberry 8100 or Curve: Help Me Choose

clearly it all depends on a few things, keep it simple danny, do you like a smaller phone?? if not.. go with the curve. does 1.3 to 2.0 matter to you?? if so, get the curve.. if you want GPS or WIFI, which depends on the curve you get.. thats a huge bonus. The curve is a pearl on crack honestly, its faster and with the full qwerty, its just technically the better device, there is unfortunatly more software out there for the pearl, but that means nothing, cause most of the stuff is junk anyways. no offense to any programmers out there.

one last thing danny, the curve has a 1.5 connection for the headset ( i think thats what you call it ) and you can connect any headset without adapter, which to me is a big deal, cause im not fond of the stereo bluetooth stuff out there atm.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Given what you have said, both of the devices wil meet your needs. They are basically identical in the capabilities you list. The only thing that would differentiate them for that list is the use of the standard headset plug in the curve.

As to your choice, if you have the opportunity to try both, then I would go into the test with an open mind. Some people like the sure type/portrait format devices and others want the qwerty/landscape. That is a personal choice and should be left to the user.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Wow, thanks for such a quick reply. I should have mentioned it is 8300 Curve or the 8100 Pearl I can try out.
    I'm not too hard on phones, but would like a fairly tough one. Is there much difference in build quality on each of these?
    Again, thanks for the quick reply.
    Danny

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

I think it really boils down to how comfortable you are with the Pearl's SureType keypad. That is most likely the biggest factor in my mind.

I also do not recommend carrying wither in your pocket as lint can make the trackball stick.

Thanks Dubdub, I plan on carrying it in a leather pouch outside the pants.
    Danny

Spoook no está en línea BES Pro

I moved from the pear to the 8310 curve with gps. Don't get me wrong - I loved the pearl, but the full qwerty keyboard and gps did it for me. I type a lot of emails and although you get used to sure type pretty quickly, I hated having to choose between words all the time. Love the gps as well because I spend my life in the car and always get lost. I must say though, I don't know if it's just me but the curve doesn't seem as reliable as my old pearl. In the 18 months I had it I never had a single problem and it was really fast. The curve just seems a little less so. For a start it seems like it lacks a bit of memory. when I switch from application to application - like for example switching to address book while on the phone - there is a slight pause and it seems to freeze up for a couple of seconds sometimes. And the track ball in the pearl is much better. Having said that my pearl is now lying unused in my drawer and I'm not looking to get it out any time soon...

Also gotta love the spell corrector for posts like this and the head phone jack and the camera - gotta love it all really!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Dustin_D no está en línea Stack level 2

Just a quick question, since I am also going for these two phones, does via BB mean the post was typed and posted over your Curve? How is the internet browser? And can you use it anywhere? Or only where there is wireless?

Spoook no está en línea BES Pro

Hi - sure does mean I'm typing this on my bb. I gotta say I wouldn't be posting such long texts on the Pearl (or on some crappy Windows mobile device with a touch screen and no keyboard). I think the browser is ok. A lot of stuff you can't do - like a lot of audio and video streaming and most banking sites etc but it does a pretty good job of most web pages. I only have GPRS speed, but pages load pretty quickly - like in a couple of seconds. A lot of people say the opera browser is better (free download). Personally I'm happy with the inbuilt browser (especially as it is free for me on an unlimited BES plan and the opera isn't. And yes, as long as you have a data plan you can browse anywhere - even connect your bb to a laptop for wireless internet anywhere you go!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)

Well, I currently have unlimited texting and calls to other verizon users (IN plan) and also 2500 texts a month to other companies, so would that carry over to the BB? Or would I need something different? And how much would the web browser be on average?

mac14x no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    217a1629

Well to browse the internet you'll need a data plan with includes every think. But its like 30$+ ;s but you can also use the pay-per-use internet with im doing idk about the bill that will come lol

In my point of view pearl is better coz of its size. Im a rl size maniac and if the phone is too big i automatically dislike it. So i went with the pearl and i rly like it. its my first smartphone also lol But im planing to move to the new curve or pearl 8130

Well, I truly want a Curve, but that's not an option unless my dad switches my family onto AT&T.

So I like the Pearls size but not its keypad, so the 8830 is tempting, because I do not mind it's size.

Sorry I haven't got back to respond to the recent posts.
    Thank you all for the responses, it gives me something to think about.
    Danny