Okay, i'll start out with the "i'm new" gig and i'm sure there are those ... General Blackberry forum

immortalsoule no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Blackberry 7520 with a few problems (and questions) and a few comments...

Advertisement

Okay, i'll start out with the "i'm new" gig and i'm sure there are those of you who have patience for that and some who don't and that's cool. However, my post is pretty global and i doubt every question can fit into one single discussion group so i'm going to put it in general.

I have a RIM Blackberry 7520 (OS 4.0.0.249) with a Boost Mobile SIM (from a I415).

I'm currently on dial-up and TRYING to get the new OS but it keeps timing out at around 80%, my belief is that it's the system just thinking i shouldn't take that long to download it. After 17 tries and this place it having no resume access, it's hard to think otherwise.

I've gone the distance and installed most of the popular apps but i've run into a few problems that i'm SURE have already been addresses, but i really couldn't find the answers to my general problems.

Here are my problems and my curiosities:

Like some people, my default browser doesn't work. Well, Opera Mini is a good stand-in until you try to download something (which is really the major reason i would surf on a phone, otherwise the experience kinda sucks).

Gonig over all of the IP data and service book posts, i've come to wonder this: Why has someone either not created some sort of OS customizer or a service book editor where you can CHANGE the default browser to Opera Mini (or some other 3rd party)? The whole issue would literally be fixed if the OS didn't default to it's built-in browser.

Why bother buying some $50 plan when some intelligent person could just find a work-around? I dunno who so many people here have suggested using a "money" answer to problems, forums are really supposed to be about Q&A and dsicoveries.

And believe me, folks, you've done a MAGNIFICENT job of it. After 20+ years of being online, this place seems to have more "straight" answers than most i've gone to as forums go.

Also, is there no way on Earth to change the configuration of a NEXTEL based service to access some other gateway through APN (if, in fact, that is what controls the browsing...i really am not 100% sure)? I mean, the idea of being stuck to just one IP to access everything seems a little "inside the box" thinking. Heck, if they can hack Palm Pilots to do it, someone must have figured a work-around with a BB, right?

I've been thrashng my brains out with Desktop Manager 4.2 and have come up with this question: Why bother even making this software accessable to a BB 7520 if they're not going to make all of it's services accessable? The Media Manager, which seems to be the ultimate PC-to-BB solution to the ringtone problem, comes up with an error saying the 7520 doesn't have the right OS. Still, the OS doesn't even reach 4.2 at the BB site it's something like 4.0.0.35x or something, correct?

That felt like a typical tease, fling it in our faces and say "whoops, you can't use that" when we try to access it.

Now i've HEARD of Ringtone Megaplex but i went out, on the web (last night), and went to 76 websites. How ironic that they all pointed to ONE single site that the demo download link was broken, eh? I was thinking "hey, this might just be an alternative" until i realized i couldn't reach it. Even the homesite goes to an external source to download it.

It always goes to Handago and this error comes up:

"Error The file that you are trying to download is currently not available. Please try again later by signing in to your Handango account under Purchase History. If the file is still not available, please contact customer support"
    I suppose, in a week to a month they will fix it, if at all.

I think IM+ is killer, it's like Trillian for the PC, it handles most major chat clients and it does it with style. Google maps is (i was gonna say God but why not give credit where it's REALLY due, right?) the Internet's gift of free map, directions, and even satellite access with a white pages flavor for finding businesses. I ran this thing to it's limit and it really impressed me (and i've been doing the computer tech thing since 84). I really aprpeciate it that SOMEONE is trying to be helpful rather than score a buck at everyone's expense.

I've been on the net and tried a lot of people's ideas: Media Studio for Blackberry® 1.3, JALLite, and someone even suggested those phone tools. I couldn't get any of these ideas to really score but hey, i did try. It seems that the BB Desktop Manager is something we are just STUCK with. However, i refuse to believe that some really smart dude hasn't figured out a workaround to loading those raw Java files along with ringtones, if they haven't...they will in time.

I will say this BB 7520 is one tough little sucker, it's survives 5 big bounces on me and came out working beautifully. The CLICK-ON belt clip is a over-weight person's DREAM, cuz all you gotta do is rotate the BB to miss the fat and you don't end up with some snapped or broken holder after 10 days.

I've seen Gmail's client for BB and i'm totally glad for it. I wish there were more and i'm sure they're "probably" are but i've yet to find them. It would be cool to get something that covered Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, and had room to install a POP3 account maybe. Basically a IM+ for web-mail would just rock the planet.

I do have one issue, however, that i've run into and can't seem to get past (aside from doing a total wipe). The software "Hello World" has gotten onto my BB and seems to be invisible to the application loader AND the built-in deleter in the BB. Wierd, huh?

I've got a Jabra BT200 bluetooth headset. It's unique in that it will work on both bluetooth and non-blue-tooth phones. I've been looking around for some alternative "voice-command" software to drive my 7520 with (since i've heard that voice-com software doesn't integratre until OS 4.2.x) and i've found maybe one or two alternatives.

What's the best, free software to use?

Here's a solid question: Does anyone out there know how to create alternate screens, like a sub-folder screen? Let's say you've got "games" and you want them to be "off" the main screen. Imagine this folder icon where you click and it goes over to a whole new screen of icons, kinda like a PDA can. And, it's possible i may have missed that discussion too, but i have been looking.

There's also one off-the-wall thing i've been wondering: I've got a Sony laptop that says it can detect bluetooth devices. Well, is the BB 7520 classified as one? If so, couldn't some software be devised to bridge the gap between the two and transfer files? Man, that would be Awesome.

Now, to the forum host, i seriously apologize if i've broken any rules and i would like to say i'm sorry if this post was too big and anything i might have said might have offended anyone. I'm a very direct person and i find that sometimes tact clouds the issue of when you're trying to be very precise about something. I did a lot of digging into this BB (with very little outside help before i came here) and i want to say "thank you" to everyone who's gone the distance to try and help us non-pros out with getting up to speed.

Without you, all their would be is the company support reps....(~shiver~)

Thx all!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: Blackberry 7520 with a few problems (and questions) and a few comments...

Quote Originally Posted by immortalsoule
    Okay, i'll start out with the "i'm new" gig and i'm sure there are those of you who have patience for that and some who don't and that's cool. However, my post is pretty global and i doubt every question can fit into one single discussion group so i'm going to put it in general.

I have a RIM Blackberry 7520 (OS 4.0.0.249) with a Boost Mobile SIM (from a I415).

Here are my problems and my curiosities:

Like some people, my default browser doesn't work. Well, Opera Mini is a good stand-in until you try to download something (which is really the major reason i would surf on a phone, otherwise the experience kinda sucks).

Gonig over all of the IP data and service book posts, i've come to wonder this: Why has someone either not created some sort of OS customizer or a service book editor where you can CHANGE the default browser to Opera Mini (or some other 3rd party)? The whole issue would literally be fixed if the OS didn't default to it's built-in browser.

Why bother buying some $50 plan when some intelligent person could just find a work-around? I dunno who so many people here have suggested using a "money" answer to problems, forums are really supposed to be about Q&A and dsicoveries.

Also, is there no way on Earth to change the configuration of a NEXTEL based service to access some other gateway through APN (if, in fact, that is what controls the browsing...i really am not 100% sure)? I mean, the idea of being stuck to just one IP to access everything seems a little "inside the box" thinking. Heck, if they can hack Palm Pilots to do it, someone must have figured a work-around with a BB, right?

I've been thrashng my brains out with Desktop Manager 4.2 and have come up with this question: Why bother even making this software accessable to a BB 7520 if they're not going to make all of it's services accessable? The Media Manager, which seems to be the ultimate PC-to-BB solution to the ringtone problem, comes up with an error saying the 7520 doesn't have the right OS. Still, the OS doesn't even reach 4.2 at the BB site it's something like 4.0.0.35x or something, correct?

Now i've HEARD of Ringtone Megaplex but i went out, on the web (last night), and went to 76 websites. How ironic that they all pointed to ONE single site that the demo download link was broken, eh? I was thinking "hey, this might just be an alternative" until i realized i couldn't reach it. Even the homesite goes to an external source to download it.

It always goes to Handago and this error comes up:

"Error The file that you are trying to download is currently not available. Please try again later by signing in to your Handango account under Purchase History. If the file is still not available, please contact customer support"
    I suppose, in a week to a month they will fix it, if at all.

I think IM+ is killer, it's like Trillian for the PC, it handles most major chat clients and it does it with style. Google maps is (i was gonna say God but why not give credit where it's REALLY due, right?) the Internet's gift of free map, directions, and even satellite access with a white pages flavor for finding businesses. I ran this thing to it's limit and it really impressed me (and i've been doing the computer tech thing since 84). I really aprpeciate it that SOMEONE is trying to be helpful rather than score a buck at everyone's expense.

I've been on the net and tried a lot of people's ideas: Media Studio for Blackberry® 1.3, JALLite, and someone even suggested those phone tools. I couldn't get any of these ideas to really score but hey, i did try. It seems that the BB Desktop Manager is something we are just STUCK with. However, i refuse to believe that some really smart dude hasn't figured out a workaround to loading those raw Java files along with ringtones, if they haven't...they will in time.

I will say this BB 7520 is one tough little sucker, it's survives 5 big bounces on me and came out working beautifully. The CLICK-ON belt clip is a over-weight person's DREAM, cuz all you gotta do is rotate the BB to miss the fat and you don't end up with some snapped or broken holder after 10 days.

I've seen Gmail's client for BB and i'm totally glad for it. I wish there were more and i'm sure they're "probably" are but i've yet to find them. It would be cool to get something that covered Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, and had room to install a POP3 account maybe. Basically a IM+ for web-mail would just rock the planet.

I do have one issue, however, that i've run into and can't seem to get past (aside from doing a total wipe). The software "Hello World" has gotten onto my BB and seems to be invisible to the application loader AND the built-in deleter in the BB. Wierd, huh?

I've got a Jabra BT200 bluetooth headset. It's unique in that it will work on both bluetooth and non-blue-tooth phones. I've been looking around for some alternative "voice-command" software to drive my 7520 with (since i've heard that voice-com software doesn't integratre until OS 4.2.x) and i've found maybe one or two alternatives.

Here's a solid question: Does anyone out there know how to create alternate screens, like a sub-folder screen? Let's say you've got "games" and you want them to be "off" the main screen. Imagine this folder icon where you click and it goes over to a whole new screen of icons, kinda like a PDA can. And, it's possible i may have missed that discussion too, but i have been looking.

There's also one off-the-wall thing i've been wondering: I've got a Sony laptop that says it can detect bluetooth devices. Well, is the BB 7520 classified as one? If so, couldn't some software be devised to bridge the gap between the two and transfer files? Man, that would be Awesome.
    1) The BlackBerry Browser is NEEDED to be able to access alot of the websites on the BlackBerry. Opera Mini is designed to access site the BB browser is not able to.

2) There are cheaper BIS plans if you search around and compare companies.

3) I don't understand what you mean by changing Nextel's service to access some other gateway thru APN? Please explain.

4) This is because the BlackBerry Desktop Manager allows you to synchronize contacts, calendar, notes, tasks, and media (for the 8100, 8800, 8300 models ONLY).

5) BACK UP YOUR BB BEFORE COMPLETING THIS PROCESS...You will lose all info on there if not. To get HelloWorld off your BB, got Options>Security Options>General Options. Open the menu and select Wipe Handheld (this may or may not require a reboot-taking the battery out, waiting 30 seconds and putting it back in) and type the word blackberry. Then find the vendor.xml file and delete it. Reconnect the BB to Desktop Manager. Go to Application Loader and follow the prompts. Install everything EXCEPT HelloWorld. Click Finish. After your phone reboots, disconnect it and see if HelloWorld still exists.

6) Try TeleNav for GPS but you will probably need to purchase a GPS puck to use with it.

7) There aren't many free applications for chat except Ramble, GoogleTalk, BlackBerry Messenger, Yahoo and maybe a few others I can't think of.

8) Some themes have folders for your applications and some do not. I am not sure Plasmic Theme Reader and Theme Builder are compatible with that series BB.

9) Does the Jabra pick up calls when your BB rings? That's the best way to find that out.

10) See # 9.

Hope all of this helps.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I think this is the longest post in Pinstack history. I would help u out but I quit reading after ? # 2.

LOL N8. I am used to reading long posts so it was no problem helping him out.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Hit me when I am sober and not wirelessly. Hah. If no answer by tomorrow, I will respond!

LOL I already replied to it. Look at post #2.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Like anything else that doesn't exist -- no one has gotten around to it yet. If there was enough demand and no technical limitations there would be a solution.

Many of us need a BIS or BES data plan as we rely on push email and other features enabled by the BB APN. Again, if there was enough demand and no technical limitation then such a solution would exist... You could ask this question about many things on the BB. Why hasn't anyone figured out a way around Verizon's crippling of the GPS receivers on their BB's? Why hasn't anyone figured out how to enable A2DP on non-4.2.2. devices? Etc etc etc...

Desktop Manager is not device nor carrier-specific. The latest version is needed for compatibility with Vista and to address other bugs. If you need media capabilities then get a media capable BB. Backwards-compatibility has to dropped at some point. Even if RIM met your request there would be one person out there running an even older model making the same complaints.

I used voice dial service with my carrier when I had an 8700. Again, you want the latest features but on a device that's already at two generations old and was never designed with that capability in mind.

It's not possible. Yet again, you need a newer device that supports custom folders. The feature doesn't exist on older BB's. It doesn't even exist on my 8800 which is relatively new (but should be available when 4.2.2 is released).

Perhaps but only if the appropriate bluetooth profile exists on the 7520 and, IIRC, it doesn't. Again, you can't expect the latest features on an old device. Even if it were possible to develop software solutions for what you're looking for, who would invest all the time and effort in this when the majority of people are using newer devices rather than trying to squeeze blood from an old turnip?

Now, to the forum host, i seriously apologize if i've broken any rules and i would like to say i'm sorry if this post was too big and anything i might have said might have offended anyone. I'm a very direct person and i find that sometimes tact clouds the issue of when you're trying to be very precise about something. I did a lot of digging into this BB (with very little outside help before i came here) and i want to say "thank you" to everyone who's gone the distance to try and help us non-pros out with getting up to speed.
    Again, I don't disagree and think that there should be solutions to all your questions. It's just a practical matter that new features aren't available on older models. My 7290, 7230 7100 and 6230 didn't have any of these features either.
    Last edited by takeshi; 08-03-2007 at 12:42 PM.

immortalsoule no está en línea Stack level 1

Smile Re: Blackberry 7520 with a few problems (and questions) and a few comments...

Again, I don't disagree and think that there should be solutions to all your questions. It's just a practical matter that new features aren't available on older models. My 7290, 7230 7100 and 6230 didn't have any of these features either.[/quote]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I appreciate your answer.

It's kinda funny, i just knew there would be one person who would answer something about getting a different service plan, there's always a "money" answer person in the group. And i knew there would be jokers who, basically, couldn't answer the question so they would just post something they thought was funny. In 20 years, forums haven't changed a bit and i'm sure there will be some adverse (yet pointless) comments to my saying this...always is. But honestly, why should anyone care to those who just make noise? It's not like they're doing anything worthwhile to be noticed in the first place, right?

However, the idealism about not making new stuff for older models is, well, pretty far off. There are designers out there still writing software for the Commodre Amiga (which has been out of service for about 2 decades or close to it). It's all a matter of willingness to make more of the product than it has been intended, like certian computers or PDAs that never reached an expected "commercial" standing but had a long list of devoted followers. Almost every piece of hardware created has some hiddent potential that can be tapped, it's just a matter of drive.

I've discovered, by hitting a few sites in Japan, an IPD editor that will allow you to make certian changes to the service books and might solve a great deal of my problems i mentioned here. To be honest, upgrading the OS seemed to do more harm than good, the default OS allowed the importing of service books without difficulty but the 7520s newst OS seems to want to fight you all the way for it and the installation was much of a headache.

I think a couple of people, who put those matter-of-fact answers to some of my questions weren't really getting what i was driving at and i was looking for answers that were "outside the box". If you have the mentality of "that's the way it is and you're just going to have to accept it", you're never really going to make any worthwhile discoveries about the product you're trying to improve. The whole point of these forums, really, is to "get around" the system and get the most out of the product, even the stuff we weren't supposed to see.

I've read a lot of "hacks" for my BB and a lot of "what you can do with it" literature and i've gotta admit, only one source was really intuitive on the 7520 and that guy HAD to be a hacker or cracker of some sort.

In the last day, i've found some answers by going to the asian side of the street. They've got software that we don't really even see and that's where i found most of the breakthroughs to my problems and, once i've got it all hashed out, i'll drop my findings on here.

Again, i do appreciate those who were actually trying to help.

PS - To those who made the cracks about "the longest post" and so forth. If you'd really thought about it, you would have realized that my whole point was to get it all out in one post....as opposed to these threads that have something like 18 pages of people going back and forth asking for little bits of info that really should have been laid down (in the first place) in a "long" message. At least i didn't waste 18 pages with constant posts that just went on, over and over again with the same stuff.