Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi, I'm new here and a new Blackberry user. I just got a Pearl 8130 ... General Blackberry forum

dollybob no está en línea Stack level 1

black screen, steady red light

Advertisement

Hi, I'm new here and a new Blackberry user. I just got a Pearl 8130 a few days ago to try out and love it. But something just happened and now I'm worried (as I was just about to go out and buy a case for it).

The screen went black and there was a steady red light on the LED. After holding down the power button a few times I got it to restart but the first time it turned on it had a rotating hourglass on the screen, so I turned it off and then when I turned it on again, it seemed fine.

Has this happened to anyone? I'm worried I should exchange it or something.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    What were you doing prior to this happening? This is what the BB does when it resets itself. The red light and black screen, then the screen is white with the hourglass, sometimes for several minutes.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

It was connected to my laptop just to charge and I had been texting on it a minute or 2 earlier

Normally this is the restart process, it happens when you remove the battery, or when you add or remove programs from your BB.

I have mine restart itself after having errors playing videos from the media player once or twice. Are you using the USB that came with the BB? If not maybe it just got some sort of power surge through the USB that caused it, not sure.

The only other time it restarted itself like that was when I disconnected it from the PC while the Desktop Manager was still running.

I would not worry, just note if it happens again, and exactly what you where doing at the time. It may turn out to be a problem with the USB port on the laptop, if it happens again, try just charging with the wall charger and see if the problem persists. But definitely use the USB that came with it, I've heard others having problems using ones for cameras etc.

This is just my opinion, maybe one of the device experts will guide you further.

edit: Forgot to say, when it is restarting, don't turn it off or push any buttons, just leave it alone for a couple minutes and let it do it's thing...interupting it may cause more problems.
    Last edited by azstar; 03-08-2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: forgot something
    Twitter? My Apps List

I was using the USB that came with it but I won't worry about it I guess. Thanks for your help! I didn't know that the restart process was like that.

dj flyy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    244ac444
    Quote Originally Posted by dollybob View Post
    I was using the USB that came with it but I won't worry about it I guess. Thanks for your help! I didn't know that the restart process was like that.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

There are two restart processes..

The first, refered to as a 'soft reset' is simply holding down the power button until the device is off. The restart after this is quick (20 seconds?) and will typically show the wireless carrier's name across the screen.

The second, refered to as a 'hard reset' involves completely rebooting the device. This can be done by either pulling the battery, and reinserting, or by typing the key sequence ALT>SHIFT>DELETE. Much like the first time the device was powered up, this process can take up to 30 minutes. This can occur after a hardware/software failure, newly installed software, operating system install, battery failure, anything!

As stated by azstar, avoid pressing any buttons while it's restarting.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by dj flyy View Post

There are two restart processes..

The first, refered to as a 'soft reset' is simply holding down the power button until the device is off. The restart after this is quick (20 seconds?) and will typically show the wireless carrier's name across the screen.

The second, refered to as a 'hard reset' involves completely rebooting the device. This can be done by either pulling the battery, and reinserting, or by typing the key sequence ALT>SHIFT>DELETE. Much like the first time the device was powered up, this process can take up to 30 minutes. This can occur after a hardware/software failure, newly installed software, operating system install, battery failure, anything!

As stated by azstar, avoid pressing any buttons while it's restarting.

Best of luck!

Unfortunately, the Pearl does not have the Alt/Shift/Delete option for a reset.

We have to use the soft reset program http://www.geekandproud.net/blackberry-software/ or a battery pull.
    Twitter? My Apps List

PIN/ID
    244ac444
    Very true!

I've been spoiled with the full keyboard since I curved from a pearl in september.

Thanks for the correction ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by dj flyy View Post
    Very true!

I've been spoiled with the full keyboard since I curved from a pearl in september.

Thanks for the correction ;-)

Haha, not trying to correct you, just trying to help my fellow Pearl users to not be confused.......you don't know how many times I tried the shortcut before I found a post saying it wasn't possible on my device......I thought I was just really dumb....or my BB was broken

I'm jealous of your curve....can't wait till Alltel gets the Curve.......I don't know if I can stand waiting till the end of my contract to get one. Of course who knows when they will get it anyway.........
    Twitter? My Apps List

PIN/ID
    244ac444

I LOVE the curve. LOVE.

Not gunna lie though, I'm counting down the days till the 9xxx series is released on t-mobile. Touch screen etc..

Is there a release date for any model of the curve on Alltel?

Not that I've heard, but it's got to come eventually, if the other CDMA carriers get it so should they. Even if I heard a date, I would be hesitant to rely on it......these things always get pushed back over and over.......
    Twitter? My Apps List

PIN/ID
    244ac444

To the best of my knoledge, the CDMA is expected 2nd quarter, verizon was stating somewhere in mid July.

But as you said, they're pretty bad about sticking to things.. I'd just keep calling Cust. Service every week and talking to different people. It's always interesting to see what info different levels of reps have

Hate to interrupt but it was definitely a reboot that happened before because it just did the exact same thing and I told it to reboot so thanks for your help! I just didn't want my new BB broken within days of owning it!

Haha....your not interrupting....sorry we kinda hijacked your thread and started talking about the Curve.......I generally really try to stay on topic....sorry about that.

But anyway, I understand your fear...the first time I had mine do that I thought it was messed up.....I freaked out a bit! Glad everything's OK
    Twitter? My Apps List

PIN/ID
    244ac444

I know exactly what you mean.. I remember with my first 7105t I pulled the battery after a sim swap (before I learned the hot-swap method) and I was scared to DEATH that I had killed it since that stupid little hourglass kept on spinning

Enjoy the Pearl :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast