I'm almost certain that I will need only BIS but if someone could explain the ... General Blackberry forum

slider8300 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3058d9fc

BIS or BES

Advertisement

I'm almost certain that I will need only BIS but if someone could explain the difference between the two it would help. We don't have a email server system. Our server is an NT 4.0 and all email is pulled down thru microsoft outlook with multiple account. So I'm not sure how the email will be sent to the BB device (hopefully a curve from cingluar tomorrow)

Thanks

n8dbb2 no está en línea Stack Addict

Re: BIS or BES

How many bb users do you have in your company? if you have more than 3, i would atleast entertain the idea of a bes.

n8dbb2 no está en línea Stack Addict

guess I could throw a little more in there

The great thing about bes is security

Everything is encrypted when being sent and received.

You can lock, wipe, disable a device within moments

You can restrict usage

Etc

A little unknown fact, if you are an attorney and have your work email going to your bb, you legally are required to be on a bes

Also if you are in healthcare, its part of HIPA laws that you must use a bes

In case a device is lost, you have to have the ability to protect patient and client confidentiality and the remote access allows you to do so

There are probably other professions that require this also but can't think of them off the top of my head

Bottom line I would say if you are using your berry for work purposes, get a bes

The overall investment is worth it

Felixtc no está en línea Stack level 3

Slider8300,

Here is a breakdown of the difference between the two:

Blackberry Internet Service FAQ

All About BES

Hope this helps.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

BlackberryFAQ.com also has some info. There's really no hard and set criteria. I'm an individual who uses (hosted) BES for personal use because I find it's features handy (and there are many others in the same boat). YMMV -- most find BIS to be more than sufficient. You'll have to read up and assess the pros and cons for yourself.

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

If you're on NT4, you may not even be able to use BES! If your setup is POP or IMAP and accessible through the Internet, you should be able to set it up on BIS.

The benefits of BES:
    • instant delivery of email to your BlackBerry
    • synchronization of email (reads, deletes, folders, etc.)
    • wireless synchronization of Address Book (Contacts), Calendar, Tasks, and Memo Pad (Notes)
    • complete control of devices in the field
    • ability to connect with corporate IM (Office Communicator (SIP), Sametime, etc.)
    NT4 is also a dangerous OS to still be on. If upgrading is out of the question because of the technical challenges it presents, you may want to look at a hosted Exchange/BES set up.

If you're still on NT4 because of the expense, consider the expense when it's compromised by a security flaw for which patch is available!
    JerryD