Hi there, I have a Bold and a while ago I downloaded the .247 OS ... General Blackberry forum

tigerbluemusic no está en línea Stack level 3

Beta OS vs. Official OS

Advertisement

Hi there,

I have a Bold and a while ago I downloaded the .247 OS when it was found on rapidshare. My question is...

Is there a difference between the OS found on rapidshare and the official release? Is the official release more advanced (less bugs etc) or is it just the same OS released through official channels?

Thanks
    Ste

PIN/ID
    Apple
    There is no difference, just that a carrier has picked up the beta and made it official for download off their site.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

tigerbluemusic no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by BHP77 View Post
    There is no difference, just that a carrier has picked up the beta and made it official for download off their site.
    Ok. Cheers for that

tgd
    tgd no está en línea Stack level 1
    BTW 247 is no longer beta ...

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555
    I'm pretty sure official releases have less bugs than the betas.

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by li2327 View Post
    I'm pretty sure official releases have less bugs than the betas.
    Every OS starts out as a beta, this is how they test It to see if everything they want is working. Every build is different that's why they have designated numbers(ie:4.6.0.247). If they attempted to "fix" a bug in one version they alter the code in which it is written. Therefore it is no longer .247 they need to "call" it something else(ie:248) to distinguish the two from one another. The writers have their notes to know what's different between the two. Take 5.0.0.90 for example, there are some issues with this OS right now. This is really the closest OS I've seen to being a true beta. Now that being said when they fix some of the issues with it it will get a updated number as its different from the previous version however large or small the changes they made were. When a carrier test and decides that it looks good they take the file and "officially" release it from their site. Its the same file as the beta version,same programing. Windows is the same way, 3rd party apps are the same way. So if you get .247 as a "beta" and get .247 as an official release, its the same OS.