View Poll Results: Do you agree with the article?

Voters
18. Register free to vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 38.89%
  • No

11 61.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best cell-phone service Illustration by Sean McCabe Verizon is a standout cell-phone carrier for most ... General Blackberry forum

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Thumbs up Best Cell Phone Service - 2008

Advertisement

Best cell-phone service

Illustration by Sean McCabe

Verizon is a standout cell-phone carrier for most people, based on our exclusive best cell phone service survey of readers in 23 cities. The company received high marks from survey respondents in overall satisfaction and customer service, and service is available in most of the country.
    Overall, cell-phone service has become significantly better, judging by the annual survey conducted in September by the Consumer Reports National Research Center. Contract terms for cell-phone service are less onerous, and there were fewer problems with call quality in this year's survey. The best carriers even came through after a hurricane hit one of our survey cities.
    Sixty percent of readers were completely or very satisfied with their service. That appears to be a substantial improvement over 2007, even though we made some changes to our survey this year, including expanding the number of cities we rate and the coverage areas within them.
    The improvement means cellular satisfaction is now closer to the average among all services we rate; it had previously been among the worst.
    What's behind this surge in satisfaction? There were fewer problems with connectivity, the ability to widely receive service that's free of static and dropped calls. Overall, 42 percent of readers reported that they had no major complaints about service, up from 29 percent in our previous survey. In particular, they were less likely to cite as a top complaint the automatic extension of their cell-phone contract as a result of changing their service.

Read the rest of story HERE

phatmanxxl no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3M TA3
    i never been in the "in" crowd, but IMHO US Cellular has outstanding customer service and coverage.
    phatman the phat stacker!

Brooose no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3032A20A
    Verizon really has brainwashed people with their marketing. They are top notch at that. Sprint offers good phones and are great with their rate plans and services BUT they suck at marketing. They really can't shake the "Sprint sucks" attitude even though their network is as expansive as Verizon's and, with their roaming agreements, their plans offer more minutes with more coverage for less money. Not to mention that their Everything plans give you everything....voice, data, sms, blackberry data, email, navigation, picture mail etc. You have to pay extra on Verizon for Blackberry data/email, sms, and navigation. Kudos to Verizon, though. Their "It's the Network" ads are very effective. Sprint needs to learn from that success and come up with a successful strategy of their own.

mrdpr no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32cf9512
    That's tru sprint need better marketing they have the better network and services.

VR
    VR no está en línea Stack level 3
    if sprint is so much better? the crappy marketing they have can't and shouldn't have to keep them from drowning in their own crap. VZW is on top, just where they belong.

Service is what keeps customers, not advertising.
    My blackberry is anti-Obama Bin Llama

phatmanxxl no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3M TA3
    I always avoided VZW because they are always the most expensive.

tiagoped no está en línea Stack level 2
    Verizon is a waste of money. Never had them and never will. I started with Cingular then Nextel now tmobile. Okay let's goto 2 Verizon and get a 100 minute plan for 70 dollars and pay another 25 for 10 text messages and another 25 for 5 picture messages. And ill get Verizon cuz they say they are the best yet they say can you hear me now. If they are the best why would you ask can you hear me now?

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    I'm happy with my ATT.
    I had a ex that had Verizon and it was a nightmare. Bill was always off by a few hundred dollars, dropped calls, texts showing up hours later. Was never impressed with Verizon.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jjdm858 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Cheers!
    from where i live, US cellular is the best..not to mentioned that all incoming text, messages, pictures, video, etc all free. data plan on my bb is unlimited including tethered to my laptop in whole US. service is great too. the only thing i have to watch is when im on the roaming area..thats extra which doesn't bother me since i use my phone mostly a"home" area. but the date plan on my bb is no roaming..which is great!!
    The superior man is distressed by his want of ability.
    Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)
    Chinese philosopher, administrator, and moralist.

Female_MC no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24A2C570
    My best friend she had Verizon and her calls kept dropping and losing service.

I have T-Mobile and now she does too, even though I'm eligible for a discount.

Brooose no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3032A20A
    Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post

Service is what keeps customers, not advertising.
    Advertising, when done effectively, would help Sprint overcome their poor image which has persisted, despite major improvements in network quality and calling plan value. Verizon is good some places, bad others, just like every other provider. If it works well in your area then it might be worth paying 20-50% more for your plan. Here in Pittsburgh, you'd be wasting your money. Pound for pound, Sprint is as good as Verizon and costs less. It's a no brainer for me. Sprint could convince a lot of other people like me if they'd come up with a good marketing hook like, "It's the Network" and hammer people over the head with it like Verizon does.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I would have to say of all the Carriers I have used, Sprint,Verizon, US Cellular and Alltel. Alltel is head and shoulders above because of coverage and CS. If it carries over with Verizon then I would have to vote yes but since I don't know yet I will just make my opinion known and not vote.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    I use three carriers, Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T. Verizon is the oldest account I have which I kept largely because I have a very old plan with much lower rates than the current Verizon plans. It's an alternative line as I test a lot of phones. When it comes to the very best (in my experience) overall carrier, AT&T wins hands down, no contest. When I say overall, I mean the best coverage, choice of phones, customer service and fair rates. T-Mobile is second best, and Verizon is last.

jusMikeP no está en línea Stack level 3
    I've used Sprint, Verizon (for about 2 weeks), and AT&T (past 2 years). All three were outstanding in my area (Myrtle Beach, SC). All that really differentiated the three in my experience was Sprint's s***** customer service, Verizon's dictatorship over phone features, and AT&T's poor "indoor" reception (although it seems to have improved lately). Other than that, I get good coverage everywhere except for one small area where no carrier has coverage. I will say that in my brief experience with Verizon, call quality was a little better. I rate them all as equal. I would use which ever carrier that offered the Blackberry Bold, except Verizon... for me, locking down your phones, and charging more for less features is a deal breaker.

zyiro no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    302A0AFF
    I couldnt agree more. I had Cingular for years and was somewhat satisfied but after they became AT&T the service and quality took a serious nose dive. I couldnt get reception in places i did before and i would drop at least 1 call a day. So when my contract ended i went to TMobile thinking things would be better. Well in fact T-Mobile was way worse then AT&T. I had so many issues with T-Mobile after 6 months they allowed me to get out of my contract and gave me a full refund of all the previous months if i returned the phone to them. So i did and went to verizon and ive had them for about 2 years now and cant think of a single bad thing to say about them. Anytime i have an issue and call customer service they are nice, helpful and very knowledgable.

I will admit verizon locks down certain things on their phone but it seems as now they are becoming more lenient on things like that. I have a BB 8330 and there is nothing locked on it other then using the GPS wth 3rd party apps. My GPS works like a champ with BB Maps.

i noticed a few people mentioned verizon being expensive. It's not at all i have 2 lines with unlimited minutes, unlimited sms, unlimted mms, unlimited blackberry internet, unlimited in network calling, unlimited nights and weekends, insurance on both phones. all this on 2 phones and my bill is in the 130 dollar a month range..

That same plan with t-mobile is almost 200 dollars and with AT&T is over 200 dollars.
    Last edited by zyiro; 12-16-2008 at 03:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast